Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

NPR: "Created and written by Joe Barton, "Giri/Haji" is a story of cultural cross-pollination. The show is in both English and subtitled Japanese that also cross-pollinates genres - mixing cop show, yakuza thriller, love story, anime and hokey family melodrama, all spiked with bits of offbeat comedy. "Giri/Haji" is unlike anything else on TV."

On Netflix

2. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Smart, suspenseful, and superbly shot, Giri/Haji is a near-perfect crime thriller with a surprisingly sharp sense of humor.

100%
    TOMATOMETER
    Critic Ratings: 18

94%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    User Ratings: 68

Slack Babbath, Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

YouTube worked for me( here)

Aside : both shows available on dvd ?

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Agreed, pretty much a perfect crime thriller. Very Guy Ritchie-ish, ultra-violent, non-linear plot, quirky characters. There’s no other series like it.

Bruce Racket and trumpet sounds like this.
  5. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

I really enjoyed binge watching The Deuce. Was sad to see it go..

"I'm Dying Up Here" was also a great period piece.

Wish it hadnt canceled after 20 episodes but that is ten more than HBO have "VINYL" so theres that

6. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

When I watched Babylon 5 live back in the day I started with season 2. There is a big shake-up that greatly improves the show.

Mild spoilers: The quick hack guide to watching only the best of Babylon 5

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Thx. I’ll start with season 2. Most of my recent DVDs viewing is just about exhausted.

Picked up season one of Call Me Fitz ..a dirtbag comedy, but even that was at best ..ok.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx, that looks interesting. Will have to add that to my list of shows to check out.

I'm currently re-watching the 1st season of Counterpart to refresh my memory b4 finally getting to see S2 that I just checked out of my local library. I may have mentioned this show b4 but I 4get. I definitely give it 2 thumbs up, very unique and interesting scifi/thriller premise.

It only ran for these 2 seasons and I believe it got canceled unfortunately. Am hoping they got to wrap it up in a satisfying way though.

Both seasons get 100% on rotten tomatoes.

Description from RT:
    Howard Silk (J.K. Simmons) is a lowly cog in the bureaucratic machinery of a Berlin-based United Nations spy agency. When Howard discovers that his organization safeguards the secret of a crossing into a parallel dimension, he is thrust into a shadow world of intrigue, danger, and double cross... where the only man he can trust is his near-identical counterpart from this parallel world. The show explores themes of identity, fate and lost love, posing the eternal question, "what if our lives could have been different"?

I agree with these reviews:

What makes the show work is that it invests very little in selling the science of this concept, choosing to craft a taut, suspenseful spy thriller rather than a more fantastical work of science fiction.

This is a classic cold war spy film set in an alternative reality. All the parts are there: spies, an equivalent of check point charlie, embassies, double agents, a spy school, the whole lot. It works well. Like all cold war spy films, it takes place in Berlin. The two halves of Germany are represented here as two versions of reality. Basically the same but developing differently. In short a very familiar genre. Yeah, it works well.

Continues to be like a cocktail made up of equal parts John le Carré and Philip K Dick, then shaken not stirred by JJ Abrams.

Beyond its artfully chilly atmosphere and its surprisingly plausible and suspenseful narrative, the main attraction in Season 2 remains J.K. Simmons's crafty, quiet portrayal of the two spies.

9. alexpop

Started The Knick. What’s with the camera angles and lighting ?

Bruce Racket likes this.
  10. alexpop

The Knick season 1& 2 ( no s.3)

Pretty good. Clive Owen’s was excellent.

Next up ...

Taken ( 2002 mini series ).

11. alexpop

Prison Break
    Is it worth watching ?

I’ve seen a couple of episodes on tv about ten years ago, thought it looked good.p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Brenald79 likes this.
  12. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Looks very interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  13. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Giri/Haji is not the typical gangster tv show. It is worth watching for the terrific performances but it is kind of soap opera-ish. I do recommend it.

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes!!! Wentworth Miller had a recent optimistic Instagram post about a 6th season.

alexpop likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Capture.

16. alexpop

Adrenaline rush show ?
    Many thx!!!!

17. alexpop

Kept those suggestions a - coming.
    There’s a legit reason to be a couch potato now.

18. alexpop

Started on Season 1 of F a R G o.

Second time viewing, better then I remember.

Looks like Season 4 is on hold indefinitely.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It started pretty good. Devolved in later seasons, although still fine as popcorn fare. The reboot was...eh...

DLD and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Fargo season 1.

So great to see Better Call Saul actor Bob Odenkirk in it.

DLD likes this.
  21. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

The Night of
    Riz Ahmed and John Turturro are brilliant

DLD, Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Less than a year later..
    Watched this again. ( second time) it was like watching it for the first time, still fresh. David Lynch reminded of Spencer Tracy, uncanny resemblance.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

White Lines (Netflix) released yesterday from the creator of Money Heist. Highly recommended if you need another good drug/crime thriller like Giri/Haji or Zero Zero Zero. Similar to Giri/Haji, this is totally bonkers and there’s no other show like it!

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is it better than Money Heist? Although a lot of people seem to love that, I find it too much of a soap opera.

maui jim likes this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Haven’t seen Money Heist but it definitely has a soap opera aspect to it.

alexpop likes this.