Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DLD

DLD Senior Member

1 AND 3 brilliant. 2 pretty forgettable and that's being generous

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Mare Of Eastown, probably not on dvd

White Lotus, ditto

Cobra Kai

Pennyworth

Dirty John (S1 & S2 are totally different stories, different actors, etc.)

Peaky "fookin" Blinders. Walter White's anti hero from Breaking Bad has few peers (Vic Mackey, Dexter Morgan, Don Draper, Nucky Thompson, Tony Soprano, & ? ). We can now include Tommy Shelby in that rarified atmosphere.

kanakaris, hophedd and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Mare Of Eastown ? Bit boring drama 6/10
    White Lotus ? 8/10

yep ! Agree on Tommy Shelby.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  4. alexpop

Orange is the New Black.
    Not bad, missed the last couple of seasons.

5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

6. alexpop

One of the few tv series’s that didn’t appeal to me. A little predictable.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, hadn't heard anything from this thread in a long time notification wise and couldn't remember what the thread title was to post anew....

Anyways, I just started watching Godfather of Harlem (3 seasons thus far, am almost done Season 1) and it is pretty good, if you dig mafioso/crime drama with BIG historical references (some real events and real characters with dramatization thrown in) like Malcom X, Cassius Clay/M. Ali, "Bumpy" Johnson (the main character - a black mob boss), Joe Valachi's testimony to Congress about the mob (the first mobster to break their code of silence), this should appeal to you.

Good writing/directing, GREAT cast of actors - Forest Whitaker, Giancarlo Esposito (yes Gus Fring himself from Breaking Bad), Vincent D'Onofrio, Luis Guzmán, Paul Sorvino, Chazz Palminteri, and a host of unknowns (to me), its been an addicting show that I'm binging out on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously a lot of the plot has to do with gangster or mafia related issues (which means violence/murder/mayhem), heroin/drugs, the civil rights movement in the 60s, but there is also human drama going on with families, relationships, the music bizness, cool stuff that makes you care about some of the characters.

alexpop likes this.
  8. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

seen lots of TV , i am very picky so gonna propose some shows that really made me go 'this is good' and are up there with the shows you mentioned

Breaking Bad (GOAT)
    The Wire (GOAT 2.0)
    The Shield (almost GOAT stuff)

The Leftovers (from the Lost showrunner, S2 and S3 are essential TV)
    Halt and Catch Fire (S3 and S4 are Top Class TV, if S1 and S2 were that good we would probably talk GOAT level)
    Succession (best show of the last five years)
    Mr Robot (S3 and S4 are great stuff, the direction is Kubrick level)

maui jim, trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This along with BB would be GOAT material.

Damon Lindelof's new show Mrs. Davis opens with a bang and is poised to be a wild ride.

maui jim and proedros like this.
  10. alexpop

Picked up 2 dvd season 1&2.
    Watched a few episodes. Not convinced ( yet)

11. alexpop

:righton:
    See the others. :cool:
    But the above ? only s1 of Mr Robot which was ok… looks like it gets better.

proedros likes this.
  12. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

i binge watched all 4 seasons in 1 month couple of years ago , when i first came out i watched S1 but stopped it (don't remember why) , i really liked this show when able to watch it in my own (bingey) pace

HACF is a hidden diamond , starts kinda slow but last 2 seasons are highest TV

succession is probably winning emmy best show this year (like BB one of he shows that just keeps on gaining steam/momentum/viewers/accolades)

alexpop likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Spartacus!!!

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Am pretty sure I said this already but if not...

Season 1 of Mr. Robot is a major mindfck and some of the most inventive TV you'll ever see. If you like that sort of thing then you'll enjoy Season 2 because they do it again (I could not believe they were able to do that to me 2 seasons in a row but they did, and I loved it).

Season 3 is excellent but way more straight ahead storytelling that fills in many gaps/unanswered questions.

Season 4 is probably the biggest disappointing season in TV history for me aside from how Dexter went downhill. I thought S4 of Mr Robot had the biggest copout of a supposedly "shocking" storyline that I've ever seen, and it let me down in more ways than one. The "big reveal" was astoundingly bad IMO and went against any of the amazing yet perplexing twists of turns of the main character's arc to dumb it down to the most predictable and lame copout of all time. Everything that made that show "special" was ruined for me. If not for S4 I would rank Mr Robot right up there with any show ever (although it is not for everybody) but with S4 in mind it leaves a really bad taste in my so called mind.....just my opinion.....

trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  15. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

Apple TV+ is a pretty good bargain, for those caught up on the other services. Many quality shows. For All Mankind is epic.

souldeep69 likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm not as much a fan. I think Lasso and Morning Broadcast are their best shows. FAM was good but I'm just not big on the genre of fake history. HBO is the best, though not as good a bargain.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  17. alexpop

S1 a mindfck”?
    Apart from Freddy Mercury actor, thought it was passable. But .. I’ll give season 2 a chance.

18. alexpop

Young Pope ?
    7/10
    To slow. Jude Law astounding performance.
    Liked the Spanish actor sent to New York as a sort of penance( great in Bad Education).

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Absolutely, The show had me totally fooled in multiple ways as the season went on and I found it extremely shocking and a major headrush as things were revealed (some of which we learn later are not even true or rather there is a lot more to it). I explained it to people that watching that show (both season 1 & season 2) made me feel like someone took my brains out of my head, put them in a blender, then put my brains back in,.

The Mr Robot character doesn't actually exist - he is some kind of figment of Elliott's imagination/mental problems.

The Mr Robot character is actually Elliott's father.

Darlene is his sister, even though at first when we meet her Elliott doesn't even know who she is.

Darlene and Angela know each other - when we first see them together in a ballet or exercise class or something it is WTF? How do THEY know each other? What is going on?

Our view of the show's world is largely through Elliott's eyes and since he is batshtt crazy, plus a drug addict, what we see - or THINK we are seeing, isn't even really happening for the most part (or is happening differently).

Elliott TALKS to us and tells us things which we believe to be true, but some of it is not just crazy delusions, some of it is him LYING to us on purpose.

I haven't see the show in a while or I could list more examples. Think I saw the 1st 3 seasons at least 3 times through to understand it all, but have only watched S4 once and need to again at some point even though I was extremely disappointed in what I felt were cheap copouts in the writing that took place.

20. alexpop

The New Pope (2020)
    Now this is excellent, much preferred it to the Young Pope.
    Solid 8/10

talk of another series. A trilogy.

21. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Justified should be on your short list of shows. Like with The Wire, there are characters who show up for a single episode who are more fully fleshed out than some series regulars on other shows.

Ted Bell, alexpop and biggerdog like this.
  22. alexpop

Yes! Seen ..Justified :righton:

Amnion likes this.
  23. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Try "Elite" and "To The lake"

alexpop likes this.
  24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Hannibal

Quadboy likes this.
  25. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

A spy among friends on MGM+ just finished up and really dug it. LeCarre type top drawer spy drama.

proedros likes this.