Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, that's some watching :)

I would have to recommend (and I forget if I already commented on this):

Fargo - both seasons are great but I think the 2nd one is one of the greatest single seasons of a show I've ever seen.

Mr. Robot - if you have the patience to just stick with it and let some of the ridiculousness roll off your back you will be rewarded with a very thrilling mind-folk.

Orphan Black - I just started watching this, really like the first season so far. Disappointing to see some folks here saying it goes downhill.

alexpop likes this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Bloodline.

Werner Berghofer and alexpop like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Orphan Black's best season was it's 1st. The writing in 2nd & 3rd seasons wasn't as impressive but IMO they've returned to form. I've really been enjoying season 4.

alexpop likes this.
  4. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Without any doubt Frank’s biological.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Watching"?
    Yeah! I started in 2011 so for most of the stuff it's been retrospective.
    Best series I rated the highest ie; 10/10 were True Detective 1,Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad & LOST.

6. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Just finished GOTHAM Season 1 and I have to say it was FANTASTIC !! Great cast with chemistry, gritty, good stories, etc - I never ever would have thought that this series could work - but boy it does !

jriems and Lonson like this.
  7. MorrisonsLament

MorrisonsLament Active Member

Parks and Recreation started off a little slow for me but turned out quite good.

jriems likes this.
  8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

If you're ever in a fantastic, positive, upbeat mood and want to shatter it completely, I recommend these series:

- Happy Valley (Netflix)
    - Hinterland (Netflix)
    - River (Netflix)
    - Black Mirror (Netflix)
    - Broadchurch (Netflix)
    - The Bridge (Netflix)
    - Wallander (Hulu for seasons 1&3; Netflix for seasons 2&3)

Some other good ones already mentioned that won't drive you to leave a suicide note:

- Bloodline (Netflix)
    - Penny Dreadful (Showtime)
    - The Affair (Showtime)
    - Game of Thrones (HBO)

And here's one to pull you back from the brink, and make you happy again:

- Silicon Valley (HBO)

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I finished both seasons of True Detective about 2 weeks ago (b4 I started on O.B.). I LOVED the first season of TD (which incidentally IMO, has the best boobs on screen of any TV show ever - man, Woody H. has a tough job....NOT!). I hated the 2nd season though, found it to be a confusing hard-to-follow mess.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

TD2 not as compelling as Season 1 thats for sure.

11. alexpop

Unaware of any of these cept, Penny Dreadful & GOT.

12. alexpop

The Shield?
    Prefered it to Sons Of Anarchy.

13. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Alex,
    yesterday I finished watching season two for the third or fourth time. I think the baby’s parents are Ani Bezzerides and Ray Velcoro. Didn’t Frank Semyon mention something like his wife Jordan was infertile?

14. alexpop

Yes. That's possibility.

15. alexpop

I would have to give Lost a 10/10 rating ...same for Breaking Bad, Mad Men 9/10. The only current series that's still pretty good is Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead imo. Any admiration, still for the above shows ?

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Lost is my all-time favorite, easily 10/10 for me. Breaking Bad is a 10/10 as well. Mad Men lost me at around the fifth season. The Walking Dead lost me in the sixth season. I honestly can't believe I made it that far with The Walking Dead. In my opinion, it was all down hill after season 1. Game of Thrones has never faltered. 10/10.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

A man of taste and vision.
    Just like myself. :)

Encuentro likes this.
  18. alexpop

Yes!
    Lost'
    still has that fascinating thing going for it.
    A enigma wrapped in a puzzle
    A conundrum for many
    the ending a con for some.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Encuentro likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

For me it's mostly the crime/mystery/spy TV Series: Spooks/M15, The Shield, Sons Of Anarchy, Justified, Dexter, Hannibal, Bosch, Damages, Oz, The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Luther, Sherlock, Broadchurch, The Fall, Narcos, The Bridge, Crossing Borders, The Americans, The Affair, The Blacklist, Boardwalk Empire.

Comedies: The Peep Show and Curb You Enthusiasm.

Fans of The Wire may want to check out Homicide: Life on the Street. Ran for 7 seasons and 122 episodes. Based on David Simon's book (also very good), who created The Wire.

JimW and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Homicide
    How does it compare with the gritty streetcrime WiRE series ?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It's comparable to how the The Shield compares to Sons Of Anarchy i.e. same producer, many of the same actors, location, roots of the newer series ect. Actors from Oz show up as well. More of a traditional week-to-week TV series than The Wire. My libary luckily had it back when it was very expensive to buy but you can get the entire series for $20 through Amazon now.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Sorta Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad?

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Somewhat but it's a different universe of characters.

Just looking through my collection and remembered John Le Carre's 2 novels that were turned into BBC mini-series: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979) and Smiley's People (1982), but starring Alex Guiness as George Smiley. Highly recommended. There's a lot more BBC series I haven't seen yet, which I am likely to seek out than the new shows.

24. alexpop

Same characters, different timeline?

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Been a long time since I watched any episodes so I could be misremembering, but I would describe Homicide as a weekly cop drama something like the universe of the numerous Law & Order shows, without the story arc kicks I get from shows like The Wire, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Deadwood, Mr. Robot, Orphan Black, Fargo, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Justified, Sopranos, etc etc etc. Homicide never did anything for me btw (nor does Law & Order).

alexpop likes this.