First CD releases 1982-83?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's very difficult now to find a CDP-101 that still functions properly. I bought one cheap back around 2000, and the drawer would not open. Being nearly 20 years old at the time, the drawer mechanism had dried out. If you know what you are doing, you can apply grease to the mechanism, but I didn't know how to do it at the time.

Around the same time, I got a CDP-102 cheap. The drawer opened, but the laser pick-up was shot, or was very dirty. It skipped constantly.

2. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone :) A sea of helpful info and thrilling memorabilia :thumbsup:
    Now i'd like to make some turn in the subject.
    Besides being the collectible items do those early 35DP's sound superior to the later CD reissues? Say, do Billy Joel's 35DP sound better than forum's fav 1997 remasters or does Michael Jackson's 35.8P-2 Thriller is the one to have?

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

The first Tull CD that I bought was of the April 1982 Jethro Tull The Broadsword And The Beast album. (1983) West Germany

I'm guessing this was the first Tull release on the perfect sound forever CD... :D

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Taco! Wow, there's a blast from the recent past.

"Get your kicks...at the Ritz...dine and wine, but not till nine..." :D

5. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

"...Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper...Super Duper!"

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I think Brothers In Arms was the first DDD album.

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I believe Ry Cooder's "Bop Til You Drop", recorded in 1978, has that distinction.

8. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Generally speaking, though not always, the very earliest pressing is the best sounding one. The 35.8P-2 is a superb sounding disc!

9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Brothers In Arms was, I believe, the first title to sell over a million copies on CD. I venture to guess it was a lot of people's first CD purchase. (It didn't hurt that nearly every song on the CD was longer than its vinyl counterpart.)

10. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Re: Brothers In Arms
    Except when a friend asked me to tape over his vinyl recording on one side of a 90 minute tape with my CD. He didn't own the vinyl and had Dire Straits' debut on the other side of the tape complete with labels/ filled out J-card. Whooops.

11. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Were there any lp's that were released in '82 & '83 that went straight out as a vinyl and cd release? When would something like ' ELO's - Secret Messages ' from '83 first have been put out on cd?

12. RoyalScam

Must Brothers In Arms be a first for something? Just sayin'...:winkgrin:

13. 'Brothers' was the first cd that either "went gold" or outsold it's vinyl counterpart (I forget which), and for a long time it was the best selling title in the cd format.

14. I boght a vintage Kyocera a couple years ago. It would not play cd's
    that exceeded 74 minutes and it would not play burned cd's of any color.

On a standard glass mastered cd under 70 minutes it had astonishingly
    detailed playback and front to back depth (some say it was the carriage
    they used, some say it was the sampling rate.
    The chassis said nothing about 2, 4, 6 or 8x oversampling, however.

15. They were $1000. I heard one playing the aformentioned Joel disc in a
    HiFi Buys in the first couple weeks of availability
    (it was a short walk from the 'Great Escape' in Nashville near Vanderbilt U.).
    Playback was anything but subtle!

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but my strong recollection is that the real "buzz" at the time was that it was one of the first few digitally recorded (i.e., DDD) popular music discs (as opposed to classical/jazz genres). My recollection is that for DDD pop discs, there was Like a Virgin, Brothers in Arms, a Ry Cooder title, and not too much else initially.

17. Early meaning 1982. In 1983, a bunch of plants in Japan opened up:

Matsushita/Technics
    Victor Co. Japan (JVC)
    Nippon Columbia/Denon
    CTA Co. Ltd.
    Toshiba-EMI
    Sanyo

In addtion, in 1984 four plants opened in Europe and USA:

BMG Sonopress W.Germany
    MPO France
    Nimbus UK
    Sony DADC USA (US arm of CBS/Sony)

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I did not realize that quite so many pressing plants opened in Japan in 1983.

19. Brothers in Arms wasn't released until 1985, 3 years after the first CDs appeared.

20. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

Re: Brothers in Arms

Let me throw another log on the Dire Straits fire: I began buying CDs in December of 1984 and one of my first purchases was Love over Gold. Brothers in Arms came out in the late spring of 1985, and as a big Straits fan I was eagerly awaiting its release. My recollection was that it was the first pop cd that was recorded, mixed, sequenced and mastered specifically for the CD market as its primary format...specifically that the cd was not an afterthought after the Lp and cassettes. Yes, most of the tracks were longer but that was to exploit the format advantages of the CD and that is the way that Knopfler wanted those tracks to be presented. I also recall that I purchased it the first day that it was available as a CD and then never saw it again in a store for several months -it was hard for merchants to keep them in stock.

More than 20 years later, this remains as one of the best examples of digital sound in a pop recording. (A somewhat sad statement.)

21. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

AND, it still doesn't sound as good as the analog recorded albums!

Another somewhat sad statement :D

UponThisRock and Centrum like this.
  22. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Andrey,

When Atlantic set up its CD mastering room in 1983, the first one I did was easy to remember: the band was called Change.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

23. RoyalScam

Was that the first album, Glow of Love, or one of the later ones, if your recall?

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IIRC, Ry's 'Bop till you drop' had a tag on it saying it was the very first commercial pop disc that was recorded digitally (on the analogue disc, of course).

25. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I was the same as you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.