First CD releases 1982-83?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Wasn't that the band with Luther Vandross in it Barry? What a wonderful singer he was. Sad loss.

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Rob,

I remember the artist because the name was appropos with the then new medium of CD. I'm afraid I don't recall the album title.

Was "Glow of Love" originally on Atlantic?
    The album I did was for Atlantic, not Warner.

Sorry those 25 year old memory cells are no longer in town. :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

3. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi monewe,

I know Luther sang with them for a while but don't know if he was an official member of the band and can't recall if he was on the record I mastered.

Got to meet him a few times at Atlantic though (he lived down the block from the studio). A wonderful singer and a fine gentleman.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

4. What do you mean????? You own almost ALL of the output!!! :D :D :D

There are CDs that you own that were already long gone in late 1984 in the stores when I got my CD player. Bought CDs way before the player. Player was very expensive for me then.

5. button

button Forum Resident

Same here. I'd bought 40 CDs before I bought my first player, but mainly because the discs were so scarce. In those days, it was rare to see more than 1 copy of a given tiltle, and when it went, it went. If you saw something you liked, you had to buy it there and then.

6. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Have you still got these, or did you sell them to buy remasters like many of us did :laugh:

7. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Nope. PolyGram's plant in Hanover, West Germany was already active by at least July/August 1982. It's first CD release was The Visitors by Abba, which some claim was the first release in the world.

8. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

As the post says above, the first commerically released compact disc was The Visitors by Abba (August '82, pressed by Philips in Germany).

Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms was the first million selling CD three years later.

[Beaten to it by Mr KennyG]

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

And I believe that this is what this nice gentleman holds in his hand in my avatar....it must be.

10. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

I bought my first cd player ( a Sony) at Lechmere's whay back then (early-mid 80s)...I remember getting VH Diver Down and Jeff Beck Flash on cd that day...maybe another title, also....

11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Asia was the first CD I saw prominently in record stores.

Brothers in Arms was probably the CD that convinced the masses to buy a player.

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

For me it was the London original cast recording of Les Miserables. It sounded like the kid singing "Little People" was right there in the room.

13. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

For me it was the original Japan for US CD of Who's Next. I read a review raving about the sound quality. I bought a player + the CD and was blown away.

Years later I came here and found out WHY that CD sounded so good.

14. button

button Forum Resident

Like everyone else, I believed the "new and improved" story, and "upgraded" a lot of my discs :sigh: Fortunately, thanks to the ipod, I have been able to acquire a lot of great first pressings in the last 2 years or so :agree:

15. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member Thread Starter

Hi, Barry!
    Interesting info, thanks! I'd like to have one in my collection.
    It might have been quite a memorable experience for you. I wonder what did you feel then? I mean it was your first work with a new recording format as an engeneer...

16. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member Thread Starter

How can i identify this historic pressing? What's it catalogue number (if it is differ from later Visitors issues)? How does it look like? It would be great so see a scan of this CD if anyone still has it.

17. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I still have my first, second and third CDs I ever purchased.
    "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd
    "I Commit To Love" by Howard Hewitt(this belongs in Biggest CD screw up thread because its printed track sequence is different on CD)
    "No Jacket Required" by Phil Collins(WG Polygram target)

pagan84 and Sebastich like this.
  18. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Barry... If only you knew then what you know now concerning how much interest many of us have :(

I would gladly pay $24.99 for a book filled with your hand-written notes from the early days of the CD format. Seriously, reading about how you worked the Zeppelin catalog would be more interesting to me than reading Franklin's notes on electricity. :) Are you sure you don't have any paperwork lying around? If nothing else, Barry, can you tell me a RATT or DOKKEN mastering story, PLEASE? Make something up if you have to :)

19. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

the first CD single was "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits in 1985

are you getting confused ?? :sigh:

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

From all indications, the first pop music CD pressed was indeed Abba's "The Visitor". However, the first availability of CD to consumers happened on October 1, 1982, when CBS/Sony of Japan released 50 titles. Billy Joel's "52nd Street", catalog number 35DH 1, is considered the first commercially available CD, although there were also 3 other CD released on that date that carried the "1" in their respective catalog numbers.

21. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

The CD colour and the label are different. The original Polydor issue has a red coating and was, obviously, on Polydor. The later edition had a light blue coating and was on Polar. Later editions still reverted back to Polydor. Anyway, here are some scans:

http://www.abba4therecord.com/detail.php?recordID=1138

And here is lots and lots of scans of various CD editions of The Visitors over the years, which has most of the variations:

http://www.abba4therecord.com/

Look under CDs and type The Visitors into the search

22. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

don't you mean six? i'm not sure the 1 has anything to do with it.
    i think the first 50 were all issued on the same day.

38DC 1 BEETHOVEN SYMPHONY NO. 5 (FATE), SCHUBERT SYMPHONY NO. 8 (UNFINISHED) MAAZEL : VIENNA PHILHARMONIC
    35DP 1 BILLY JOEL / 52ND STREET
    35DH 1 EIICHI OTAKI / A LONG VACATION
    38DG 1 THE SL : SL SOUND IN DIGITAL
    35.8P-1 JULIO IGLESIAS / DE NINA A MUJER
    35.8H-1 CHANNELS / SOUL SHADOWS

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Oops ;) :righton: Thanks for catching that.

24. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

mistake.. please ignore

25. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.