First half of '04: CD shipments up, hi-rez sales down

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

From www.avrev.com:

Notice how www.avrev.com is pumping up the DualDisc. They're obviously not too fond of SACD and DVD-Audio.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Not a banner year for hi rez releases, so that could be the main reason. Next year will be different.

3. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

You can't increase sales without increasing product availability.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

That's what I have been saying all along. If you produce it, we will buy.

See how many SACDs fly off the shelves on November 9th! :righton:

Every month for the past year should have had days like Nov 9th............. :winkgrin:

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I hope you are right. Unfortunately, for the past four years, I've been hoping that the next year would be different for hi-rez (i.e., better).

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Exactly.

7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

My local BB has had the same stale inventory of SACD's/DVD-A's for the past couple months, so there is no surprise here.

8. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

We have a new BB in town (less than three months old) and when I was there a couple of days ago the entire SACD section was replaced by Christmas CD's. No one in the department had any idea where the SACD discs went.

Gary

9. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Also, it appears that the Bob Dylan hybrids are officially out of print. If you go to the Sony Music on-line store, the only format available for the Dylan titles is CD. :shake:

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

At my local Best Buy, the shelves for SACD is kinda bare. Looks like no plan to restock. I can see that SACD are being purchased, other than by me, as the Ray Charles, Henry Mancini, Sheryl Crow, and many of the Sony single-layer titles are now gone. And someone actually made the effort to make new dividers for each artist. Maybe when the Elton John and Clapton titles comes in.....

11. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Mister K: I was told by an employee at my local BB that until a few months ago, a separate crew from a contracted(?) company came in the morning & stocked all the CDs and hi-res discs. So if your store still uses this strange stocking method, it's no wonder the regular employees don't know what happened with those sacds.

Last Saturday, I went to the same store & asked an employee and an assistant manager if they were going to carry the DualDisc. Neither one knew what I was talking about. Then on Tuesday the discs show up in large quantities. Does BB headquarters ever tell their people anything??

And some semi-related trivia: since BB also uses a separate (internal) crew called the "merchandising team" to set up all the products, that's a BIG reason most of the employees on the sales floor usually have little to no knowledge of how their own products work. And I've been told by some of the employees they "aren't allowed" to mess with the product's set-up configuration, even to the point of not reversing the wire on an out-of-phase speaker. Sheesh!!

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This has been discussed at some length on Audio Asylum. A couple of points, the RIAA numbers on hirez are just wrong:

1. They don't include many web-based sales.
    2. The seem to be way under-estimated actual sales if you look at what Sony is saying shipments were on the basis on the Dylan and other SACDs.
    3. There is overlap between single inventory SACD and pure Red Book.
    4. The Soundscan system on which these numbers are based excludes most of the audiophile dealers of software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.