“First Man” (2018)—Neil Armstrong story - from “La La Land” director

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Buzz's first words when stepping on the surface ("Beautiful view. Magnificent desolation.") were left out as well.

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Yes, those were his first words, though Armstrong did feed him the word "magnificent," so I have to give him a little credit too. :)

Buzz: Beautiful view!
    Neil: Isn't that something? Magnificent sight out here.
    Buzz: Magnificent desolation.

3. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

For those who want a contrast to "First Man," I highly recommend the documentary "Last Man on the Moon" which was released a couple years ago. It's about the life of Gene Cernan, who commanded the last Apollo mission to land on the moon. Having seem many space documentaries over the years, I can say without hesitation that "Last Man..." is one of the best made and most engaging of them all.

4. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Saw it this evening. I thought it was really well done. The arc of the story brought back a lot of my childhood and early teen years.
    I was seven when John Glenn went up and fourteen in 69 and watched everything in between with rapt fascination as did many of my friends. It was exciting stuff then and amazing what was accomplished in that decade. I wish the moon missions had continued.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Why did I never hear about this movie?

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Wow, even you didn't hear about that movie.

I drove by the movie theater two weeks ago and saw the name on one of the poster's, but I didn't know what the movie was about.

I did look it up and happened to read about it here. I was going to go see it last week, along with Nutcracker, but it was already gone!

7. Chris DeVoe

I saw First Man, but didn't hear about Last Man.

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't notice.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Armstrong character defines the big question here, what makes a country and astronaut risk their life and families well being, when the odds of sucess low. Is this to be admired or was Armstrong and all the other 'boys' unstable?

Brilliant film by the way but all white men, Hidden Figures suggests that Katherine Johnson should have been in there.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My prediction: Best Sound. That’ll be it. Reminded me and a lot of “the right stuff” but without the fun and excitement. The dead daughter stuff was baloney out of “Arrival.” Touchy feely and rockets don’t mix.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Guess I never opined about the film in this thread.

Short version: it's interesting but not wholly satisfying.

Long version:

First Man [Blu-Ray] (2018)

12. Oatsdad

Yeah, I allude to that in my review:

"First Man often plays like an expansion of The Right Stuff, albeit done in a more low-key manner. The Philip Kaufman classic embraced a more freewheeling style, whereas First Man tends to reflect its subject’s subdued demeanor and lacks the flash of the 1983 flick. "

"First Man" is basically a mashup of "Right Stuff" and "Apollo 13" as directed by Terrence Malick...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I've come to the conclusion that Damien Chazelle is the most overrated director working in Hollywood today. He's produced three films and I haven't particularly enjoyed any of them.

Whiplash was supposedly about a subject near and dear to my heart - music education. But in fact it was a sports film masquerading as being about music education, it was actually a vile slander of the entire field.

La La Land was a musical utterly without magic. I love musicals and seek them out, and this is the only musical in a decade or more that I've not wanted to see again. He wasted two appealing and talented performers.

First Man manage to take something that I've loved since childhood, that I was obsessed with, and rendered it boring. It takes a type of perverse genius to be able to do that, which is not a compliment.

JakeMcD, jjh1959, cdgenarian and 5 others like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

^^^^^^^
    This.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Couldn’t disagree more. And I enjoyed La La Land.

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it—you don’t like Chazelle... :D

I have to agree on First Man, though—a big disappointment for me.

Macman likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

IMO, "LLL" is the weakest of DC's 3 films. It just feels like a musical that rips off old musicals with people who can't sing or dance.

I'm lukewarm toward "FM" but I liked "Whiplash"...

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I just tried to watch this on bluray. To understand the dialog I have to turn the volume on my TV up to 40 (while usually 18 is loud). When the sound effects kick in at volume 40 it's painfully loud. I thought it might be the sound settings on my player or TV, but I can't work it out. Is this normal? I start to suspect this is on purpose, maybe to get a feeling for the noise of a rocket launch or something. If so, this is a really stupid and annoying decision.

Mainline461 likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Does your TV have a "Night Mode"? That can turn on a compressor. That's why I love my home theater receiver.

L.P. likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah the technical/flight/moon stuff is great but on later reflection the rest is so/so. It kind of has to be there but I think that's one of the facets of Armstrong was that he wasn't some kick-ass warrior type with bald eagles on each shoulder, a bottle Wild Turkey in his hand and driving a NASCAR ( I wouldn't recommend any of that at the same time but you get my drift). He was a cool technician first and foremost. A pretty dull Dad/Husband/colleague further down the list.

I would still have shook his hand and bought him a pint and walked away buzzing though.

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Regarding Aldrin's relationship with other astronauts and his desire to be the "first man" - it's intimated in a couple of scenes but nothing too blatant. It's easy to miss. IIRC from reading about it, Aldrin may have well been "more business like than his colleagues", but he also could be very blunt and was very ambitious. I believe he had at least one conversation with Slayton about who would be 'first' and was not bashful in advocating for himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.