First new Chicago single in 8 years

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by souldeep69, May 20, 2022.

1. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

It sounds like a commercial jingle for the current Chicago brand. Sounds a bit like the Beach Boys TWGMTR in terms of vibe but the songwriting is cringe worthy. The horns sound ok, all 15 notes. Where's Lamm? i have tickets to the NJ gig with Brian...hoping for the best.

MikaelaArsenault and kwadguy like this.
  2. brinkeguthrie

brinkeguthrie Forum Resident

Leonid & Friends are in the audience tonight in FL for a Chicago show. The alert pops up on my laptop, and it's from the L&F account on Youtube, and they are streaming Chicago doing If you Leave Me Now. Commenters thought they were watching L&F though. "Best Chicago cover band ever," two people said- based on what they were watching.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

And this live performance shows that I was absolutely
    A) right
    B) right
    or
    C) right.
    Multiple choice. Feel free to give it a shot.
    They say if you're not sure, always pick C.:agree:

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not trying to be hostile here, but what’s the big deal about a tribute band?

They’re extremely accurate and sound just like the record. Which as far as I can tell us what all tribute bands do . They didn’t create the music so they reproduce it to the letter. That’s the nature of tribute bands.

5. Lasting Spaces

Lasting Spaces Forum Resident

I like the new song and hope they have more on the way! It has a different vibe but is still unmistakably Chicago.

6. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Makes sense as Spotify shows Joe Thomas listed as co-writer and producer of this new Chicago song and he has been involved with Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys for a couple decades now.

MikaelaArsenault and elgoodo like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's a tired rhetoric. When the band itself can't sound like they used to, tribute bands are the only way to get a feel for what the original band might've sounded like live. Plus, they're much more affordable and far more reliable than most original tired acts.

I remember paying 5$ to go see an AC/DC tribute band that sounded exactly but I mean *exactly* like the real deal in every way, including how loose they are, live. Paid 20$ for a 2h Hendrix tribute band; again, the band (especially the guitarist) was utterly fantastic with a bottomless well of Hendrix improvisational licks and techniques. Pure mastery of the instrument + the style. Everyone had a great time (both times) and it was extremely fun.

Original old bands rarely sound like they used to, singers rarely can sing in the original key, or the bands don't even exist anymore. Well, unless you can build me a time machine, your opinion doesn't carry much weight with me. :D

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

The song is ok. Just one thing... The production sounds like it's 1995. If you're going to sound retro and old fashioned anyway... why not trying to sound like 1972 or 1982?

I guess that's the way joe Thomas operates.

9. souldeep69

If I could find any evidence that this was true I would certainly acknowledge your comment and cop to my mistake in the thread title. But I cannot find any evidence that this is true. While they did release a new Christmas album three years ago, I don't see that any singles were released from it, nor that Chicago has released any single whatsoever since 2014. (At least not a physical one. And if it's a digital single, WTF does that even mean?? Seriously, if there is such a thing, please explain it to me. My brain stops working trying to comprehend the concept of a streaming-only single if it's on a streaming/digital-only album.)
    I stand by my thread title.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  10. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Absolutely incredible! Did the ghost of Terry Kath possess that dude on lead guitar? He nails everything, even the "waka-waka-wow-wow" part!

Thanks for sharing!! :righton:

11. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Hey, watch it!

Just for that, I declare a Holiday here today!!

Reading the lyrics made me think that it was written as their “swan song”!!!

Don’t force to get the YouTube video of Don Meredith again!!!!

That song sucks and Terry Kath laughs!!!!!

12. souldeep69

Thanks for the giant threadcrap and no, they don't nail it.
    There's no feeling.

MikeMig likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Not a threadcrap at all and this post is ironically immediately below someone who expressed an appreciation for the video.

It's called a difference in opinion and that's OK. You'll live, regardless of your psychic "soul detection" abilities being hurt.

14. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

That was pretty terrible. I am a casual fan of Chicago; not a detractor, but lost interest in them after Cetera left and they increasingly went for the AC market. Having those pretty bad lyrics flashing across the screen did not help.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That's fair. Wikipedia says they were singles, but I can also find no proof that they actually were, unless being the online focus tracks makes them "singles." Whereas the new track is a single because you can stream/buy it and there's no album as yet.

MikaelaArsenault and souldeep69 like this.
  16. souldeep69

No it's called a threadcrap and here's why.
    This a thread about the first new Chicago single in almost a decade. I announced and posted a link to this new single, and also invited opinions on it, saving my own for later.
    The first and a notable number of opinions posted after were and continue to be quite negative about the new single. The very first one said it stinks. There is some direct agreement with that in other posts.
    I like the new single very much, and I expressed that. So have others.
    That is what's called a "difference of opinion", and I have absolutely no problem with people expressing what their true feelings are about the new Chicago single.
    But a post ignoring the thread topic about a new single from this venerable band and saying the band isn't even worth listening to — seriously, you don't see the distinction there?
    And it was not "ironic" that I called out your post right below someone who agreed with it. It was the agreeing post that made me realize that your initial post was an intentionally disruptive and overly nasty dismissal of the entire thread concept.

Zeroninety likes this.
  17. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

That wasn't too bad, I can see the original Chicago doing this with a different arrangement and real instruments, and a faster tempo with congas, etc., instead of the cheesy bland way it is here.

18. Strat-Mangler

It must really suck to find such trivial things upsetting. Add me to your ignore list if seeing a posted video is too much for you. Talk about making something out of nothing... :shrug:

19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I saw a TV commercial a couple of nights ago advertsing the show when it comes to my area. I hope you enjoy the concert but I don't think I could bring myself to go see this. I can't help but feel that I'd only leave the venue feeling greatly disapponted if not outright depressed.

20. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I have never been a big Chicago fan, and don't know how much it sounds like what they've been up to in past decade (if anything) in new music, but it sounds like a weird mixture of "late period Brian Wilson collaborating with Barenaked Ladies" and is weirdly touching.

Seems clearly designed as "this is the last song we'll ever do." Got me thinking of other bands who have done similar things---even if they turned out to be wrong. Like, the Beach Boys "Summer's Gone" which is still their "last song." Or the Who's "Tea and Theater" which seemed DESIGNED to be their "last song" but got superceded a decade later by the self-titled lp.

Any other examples of a band releasing what is clearly designed to be their final statement -- a song, not a whole LP?

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Billy Joel- Famous Last Words

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well, as problematic as the timing would turn out to be (given the delay of Get Back/Let It Be), The Beatles’ “The End” feels like a tune that fits…

23. Brian Doherty

Just remembered REM's "We All Go back to Where We Belong" which in their thread reminded me of this topic weeks ago actually then I forget til I heard this Chicago thing.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Neil Young’s Prairie Wind… the last album that wasn’t.

25. Brian Doherty

I am unfamiliar with that story/theory (of that being intended as a last album in some sense?) Was that when he had heart trouble or something?