First time hearing Aerosmith?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steve phillips, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone else have this experience? In 1973, I was 13, in the 7th grade. One day we went into chorus class at school, and the teacher said she had a special program for us. She had a reel to reel tape recorder on her desk. She started playing the tape, and it was a lesson about multi track recording, hosted by Adrian Barber. He gave examples of how a record is made using overdubs. The example he used was by a new band he said he was recording called Aerosmith, and the song was "Dream On." None of us informed rock kids had ever heard of the band, but we liked it. I remember when he played the vocal scream at the end by itself with no music behind it, some of the girls started giggling. It wasn't long before Aerosmith hit big, and we all remembered where we heard them first. Mrs. Hunter's 7th grade chorus class.

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Reading Festival 1077
    Knew they where big in the US at the time but not in the UK. Thought they where OK but not enough to invest in any albums.

3. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Was just a kid. I'd saved up my money for a Zeppelin album but, sadly, the store I'd gone to didn't have it (cant remember which one it was).

I'd heard a couple of Aerosmith songs so I decided to get Toys in the Attic, instead. Only they didn't have that, either. So I rolled the dice and bought Rocks.

Hadn't heard any of the songs before but I thought it was amazing. Still my favorite album of theirs.

4. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Late 1973, on the radio-the song was "Dream On". I was 17 at the time. I had no idea back then that they would become one of the biggest bands in the U.S.

5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

First time was standing on the street in 1974. Wings album. Sounded so good I had to ask the driver who they were.

Bananas&blow and Fullbug like this.
  6. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rocks rocks!:righton:

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I was at Knebworth 1077, er, 1977 :D and I also remember that they weren't very impressive. They had a bad time spot (at the end of the afternoon I think).
    I bought Toys In The Attic about 10 years later and thought wasn't all that good. However I later bought Rocks and became something of a fan.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

June '73, I worked at a radio station that played it when it stiffed the first time.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I bought Toys In The Attic in 1976, at age 10, after my older cousin saw them live at the Pontiac Silverdome. First record I ever bought of my own free will, unheard by me previously, but my cousin's description of it all piqued my interest. It was certainly a lot different than listening to my mother's copy of Rubber Soul.

The MEZ and Doggiedogma like this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Unfortunately my first experience of hearing them and knowing it was them was in the Bee Gees Sgt. Pepper film doing the Come Together cover.
    However, I'm sure I heard Dream On before that on the radio.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The first time I heard Aerosmith was 1989 when the singles from Pump were on MTV. I got Pump and Permanent Vacation on cassette that year (still love those albums!) followed by Greatest Hits (played it to death) and then the rest of the albums.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Sgt. Pepper movie, 1978. Followed by Live Bootleg, which I recall being heavily advertised on TV.

13. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident

Christmas 2009 (I was 9). One of my best friends had Guitar Hero 3. That game was the best. Every weekend I'd go over to his house and we would play until we couldn't move our fingers. So, when Christmas rolled around I put it on my list.

My parents hid it from me, to save for last. but when I opened it I was disappointed. Who or what in the world is "Aerosmith"? I was pretty mad, but as I played it, I couldn't stop. I fell in love with the music instantly, without knowing anything about them. "Sweet Emotion", "Draw the Line" and "Nobody's Fault" became immediate favorites of mine. Eventually I recognized Dream On (Which is unlocked later in the game) and I made the connection. Been my favorite band since, especially their early stuff.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    ARK, intv7, Horse Majeure and 4 others like this.
  14. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Walk This Way in gym class, maybe as young as 1st grade

Bananas&blow and Doggiedogma like this.
  15. California Couple

That is a cool story. When I was your age Aerosmith did not exist. Rock music was Rolling Stones and Alice Cooper. Not sure what your "89" means but I had no idea you were so young. Makes me want to go back and read all your Aero post in a new light.

VinylGuy89 likes this.
  16. VinylGuy89

I tried to pick a generic username. Guess I should've put some more thought into it lol

California Couple likes this.
  17. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I was in 6th grade when this game was released. As a Guitar Hero fan, it was a no brainer purchase for me despite being unfamiliar with Aerosmith beforehand. Played it for a bit, but I never really returned to it until 9th grade. I enjoyed it more this time around, and I ended up liking the songs enough to buy Pandora's Box. Listened to it non-stop until I bought the studio albums. This may sound weird, but I actually have this game to thank for starting my music obsession!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  18. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Walk This Way with Run DMC. I knew who Run DMC were but not Steve and Joe :hide:

19. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

They played a high school dance at my school in Vermont when I was a freshman.. circa 1971..

20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Aerosmith's set at Knebworth in 1077 was during their all-acoustic "minstrel" era during their "Norman Invasion Tour." I heard that Joseph "Angus" McPerry played an incredible lute solo that day.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Manalishi, JasonA, Efus and 3 others like this.
  21. I had just crawled out of the burning wreckage of my '68 Charger with its newly configured Holley double pumper,
    something got gummed up resulting in engine fire. Hood was NOT pinned so it blew back resulting in me going off the road and rolling
    YSp's Midnight new music show, "Dream On" screaming out of the cars coming to help, seemed apropos in the fire light with police sirens in the distance.
    Get the fire out, We needed to get out of there You got to lose to know how to win, indeed...

22. VinylGuy89

Same thing kind of happened to me. after a year or two I was tired of playing the same songs. so I put it down for a looong time. last year I picked it up again to re-live the memories, and started adventuring into classic rock on spotify. I got my first couple vinyl records last Christmas, Rocks and Night in the ruts. (the collection is now well over 50)

after aerosmith came Jimi Hendrix, then Van Halen, Then the Rolling Stones, Most recently I've gotten interested in Clapton.

to keep this on topic, aerosmith will always be my favorite.

Bananas&blow, Doggiedogma and DiabloG like this.
  23. California Couple

Well that makes two of you. Pandora's Box is a cool jewel to have.

mikaal and Bananas&blow like this.
  24. California Couple

1077? Was that when William The Conk crashed the party?

Bananas&blow, Purple Jim and Fullbug like this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I remember how they closed the show with their song "Dream On," which was written in protest to the then-pending Magna Carta legislation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.