First time hearing Aerosmith?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steve phillips, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident

that's pretty cool, do you remember the show?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  2. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

First time I heard them was Dream On in 1947...75'.
    I was absolutely floored by how great the song was.
    Now we take it for granted.....it's such a great song.

3. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Bought the album Get Your Wings in '74 on the strength of a review in Rolling Stone. Hadn't heard a single note by them before buying. Just took a chance and I liked it. Still the only album I own by them. Not much of an Aerosmith lover. Get Your Wings is all I need.

4. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Can't recall the first time I heard them, but I was a big fan during my early high school years (mid-seventies). It was the second concert I ever attended (Buffalo 1977). I remember buying a bootleg tour T-shirt in the parking lot before the show. When washed, it shrunk to the size of a lobster bib.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  5. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

'The Other Side' video on either MTV or VH1 around 1990 as a little kid. First album I owned by them was a few years later with Get a Grip, which was absolutely huge at the time.

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The exquisite first listening of Toys In The Attic. That was rock music that I really connected to, and it started a ride that really hasn't ended.

The MEZ and Jeff Minn like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Your gym class sounds like it was a lot cooler than mine. All we did was Square Dance. :)

ARK and ElevateMeLater like this.
  8. doity

doity Forum Resident

In the mid 70’s in my neck of the woods Aerosmith was very popular with the stoner crowd. If you went to someone’s home to get baked, chances are that Aerosmith was on the turntable. But for some reason their “Get Your Wings” album seemed to be the number one choice over their debut, Rocks or Toys.

The MEZ, Doggiedogma and Fullbug like this.
  9. Ratto

Ratto Forum Resident

It was probably hearing Walk This Way in the 80s.

And from that day on I've detested them.

10. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Forum Resident

I guess it was Dream On in a toplist on the radio. Later I heard Walk This Way and then I got into them.

Now it's one of my beloved rock bands, especially at thier height in the mid '70's . Toys in The Attic is my favorite album of them and I think it's also the best ; a energetic opening song ,a funky rock classic before mentioned, a great B-side opening song as in Sweet Emotion, that is followed up by a underrated rock song No More No More, which ending is fantastic with the fade out at last and some other good songs.

I also read that Aerosmith was also a great favorite of James Hetfield in his younger days.....

VinylGuy89 likes this.
  11. Shanaya

Shanaya Well-Known Member

I was travelling a week back and I was listening songs online when I came across this artist 'Aerosmith' name on that page. I accidentally opened it and the first song started playing. I was impressed with the music and hence decided to continue with the song. I was awestruck when I started listening to the entire song and I wasnted to listen to all the songs on that Aerosmith page. I felt so foolish to have missed such songs for so long.

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I first believed that I had heard Aerosmith on the radio, before I bought Toys, but it turned out I had heard Alice Cooper's "School's Out."

13. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Finnish radio 1978 - 30 min of "Live Bootleg".

Fullbug likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It was Dude Looks Like A Lady and/or Walk This Way with Run DMC ...

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Radio, "Dream On", sometime in later 73/early 74. Got the first album as an Easter present (we used to get Easter presents as kids--my folks would hide them along with eggs, candy, etc.) in 74. I was 11 at the time.

16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Around 1974. Kids used to bring those little Panasonic 8 track players to school and we’d
    listen at recess. One kid brought Get Your Wings. I assume it belonged to his older brother since everything else he ever brought was crap. I didn’t hear Dream On until late 75 when it was rereleased, and it was the single edit. When I got around to buying the album, I finally heard the far superior longer version. That song was like Hello It’s Me— let’s keep putting it out until it’s a hit. I remember Walk This Way wasn’t a hit until after Rocks had peaked and was close to two years old as well.

Fullbug and Horse Majeure like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Even at that time everyone was already talking about how they were amazed that Keith Richards was still alive.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I did not know Knebworth even existed in 1077! That is one old festival....

ebro and Fullbug like this.
  19. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Same as the other early-80s contingent: when they rebooted their career with Run DMC in the Walk This Way video. I recall Janie’s Got a Gun and Love in an Elevator being frequently played around the same time. I became a huge fan and rode the whole wave along with them during the late 80s into the mid-90s as a teen, also diving into their earlier classics. Sweet Emotion’s always been my favorite, and I have vivid memories of asking my parents to crank the TV when they did it on SNL, which remains my favorite performance of the song.

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

And really, Steven doesn't look a day older than 600.

Manalishi, ARK, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I got Greatest Hits on cassette sometime in the early '80s and listened to it in a Walkman. Very cool. I thought they were really great.

[​IMG]

The MEZ likes this.
  22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I do recall that "Dream On" was a big radio hit when it came out, although I paid no attention to the album. Late spring of '74, a number of my friends & I were were on a camping/canoe trip.
    My buddy had just picked up an 8 track of the new "Get Your Wings" album. I remember that playing all weekend on the killer stereo he had in his '74 Cuda 340. "Train Kept a Rollin' I knew from
    the Yardbirds, but I was absolutely mezmorized with "Seasons of Wither". Remains my all-time favorite to this day. That summer, I went and saw those guys at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Mi.
    They opened with "Helter Skelter", which was perfect. Mahogany Rush was their opener. One of my better concert experiences.
    For the record, this is my favorite album of theirs, followed by their debut.

The MEZ and steve phillips like this.
  23. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

great story

zphage likes this.
  24. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

I remember buying Pump in 1989 after seeing them on MTV and because Guns N' Roses kept citing Aerosmith as a huge influence on Appetite For Destruction. At the time I didn't realise how old the guys were and wrongly assumed them to be a group of guys in their early 30s (to be fair they looked good for their age back then!). It was one of my favourite ever musical discoveries to find out Pump was their tenth album and I promptly went about buying their entire back catalogue. To me it was like an Aladdin's cave of treasure.

905 likes this.
  25. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

I do remember the event.. was there. I recall we spent a few hundred extra to get this great band all the way from Massachusetts.

VinylGuy89 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.