First time hearing Aerosmith?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steve phillips, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Back in Ye Olde Days, when you had to pedal a bycycle to keep the record spinning, I was at a mates. I was biug into Kiss, and had my albums with me. It was circa 1975. One of my mates said, "I got this, pretty good." He put on Rocks. You can't not love that album.

steve phillips and Fullbug like this.
  2. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

Eighth grade music class in parochial school of all places. The teacher allowed students to bring in an example of music they liked to listen to. This guy brought Aerosmith Rocks and played Sick As A Dog.

steve phillips likes this.
  3. I have to say the standard 70s' US Aerosmith vinyl pressings sound very good and are a bargain against the premium that Zep Sabbath Floyd currently go for.

4. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

My introduction to Aerosmith was hearing "Dream On" on a Ktel compilation called Pure Rock. This would have been around 1981. I didn't hear anything by them until 1986 when one of my friends bought Greatest Hits because Motley Crue had mentioned them as an influence in a number of interviews.

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I distinctly remember being on the swings during recess when I was in either 3rd or 4th grade (8 or 9 years old, 1979/1980) and hearing Walk This Way on a friend's boombox.

6. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Absolutely same as me, Reading 77. I did pick up the promo single at the time, but was never much impressed by them.

Rufus rag likes this.
  7. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I recall being introduced to Aerosmith on my brothers turntable in 1973.

8. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Probably heard Train Kept a Rollin' or Dream On in '75 when I started wandering over to the Boston FM band once in a while.
    They played my high school while I was in junior high, but I wasn't musically aware at the time.

9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Great minds, etc (I was 16).
    Only LP of theirs I have is Rocks, but its a stunner.

CliffL likes this.
  10. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I purchased my first album - AC/DC's DDDDC - in 1995 with my 10th birthday cash; Tipper and I were looking for the Devil in subliminal messages - though my objective was merely budding bacchanal flirtation (unknown to me), and certainly not maternal religiosity . I also liked Nancy Drew mysteries, so dawning consciounsess of my narcotized reaction to hard rock's serrated lead guitar, racing jungle war drums, and open-throttle bass was coupled with either an annoying or exhilirating proclivity for exploration - depending on whether you were my parents or not.

Uncle Mickey, who spoke to me like the smart sentient being I was (and most 10 year olds are), said, "if you like that, try this", while clapping cheap wafer walkman headphones around my ears (which is like trying to carry water in a pitcher with a silver-dollar sized hole in the bottom) and firing up a cassette copy of "Toys". Well. Hearing "Sweet" & "Walk" back-to-back was like the Tropospheric spun-sugar rush after your first taste of cotton candy at the fair. For me, that was age 5, and my thought at the time was, "I'm going to eat cotton candy every day for the rest of my life!". Yet, after that first hour, I wouldn't touch cotton candy again for many years.

I really like Aerosmith on occasion, but I don't - and probably won't - every own any. It's odd that some music is like that: the first impression leaves you wide-eyed and tachypneic, but quickly tapers to marital familiarity. I still remember my first time though! Incidentally, why don't y'all just send me your addresses and I'll start writing letters in response to these posts. :)

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Hopefully someone stood up and told him that Back In The Saddle is better.... :)

12. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

Bought tickets to see Black Sabbath at MSG in 1975 from Ticket Master in White Plains . On the ticket was a warmup band called Aerosmith that i knew very little about. I believe it was there MSG debut. They were getting some limited air play on NY radio but nothing note worthy.

They did not disappoint at the concert it was a very good show. So really in my mind that was the first time I put the songs together with the Band.

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I like Sick As A Dog even more than Back In The Saddle. What's your story?

steve phillips and ebro like this.
  14. In 1975 I was 13 and my cousin bought 3 Aerosmith albums (S/T, Get Your Wings and Toys). We played the hell out them all summer - I think we probably rated Get Your Wings as the strongest. The following year Rocks was released and my friend bought the album the week it was released. It also got a lot of play and was a real favorite at the time. My interest then turned more towards Black Sabbath and Zeppelin and since the following Aerosmith album was the lackluster Draw The Line my love affair with Aerosmith basically ended in 1977. It was a fun 2 years and I still rate Toys In The Attic and Rocks as hard rock classic albums.

15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The downside is that they're Aerosmith records.

16. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Love in an Elevator on one of those “Chart Hits” compilations in the car on a lift home from school. I thought they were a hip hop group lol

17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Same story with me. We loved Get Your Wings with a bong hit.

steve phillips and The MEZ like this.
  18. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

In 1973 my brother won tickets from a radio station for a T Rex concert at the Tower in Philadelphia. He gave them to me, so a friend and I went to the show. The seats were front row center stage. The opening act was a band at the time I had never heard of, Aerosmith. Tyler at that time seemed like a young Mick Jagger want a be. They were good for not knowing who they were but T Rex rocked with Bang A Gong, Jeepster etc.

19. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I don’t remember the first song I heard, but the first one I really loved was actually “Angel.” This was probably when it was in the top 40 in 1988. My parents got me the ‘Permanent Vacation’ LP that Christmas. I loved it. Next I invested in the 1980 Greatest Hits LP. The 9 or 10 bucks I paid for it came from something like my third paycheque from my first job; I was 15 at the time. For some reason I hated most of it at first listen. I didn’t try it again until after ‘Pump’ came out, and by then I loved it. It must have just caught me on the wrong day that first time. I feel like I must have heard the version of “Walk This Way” with Run DMC back in the ‘80s, too, but I don’t specifically remember. It seems weird that that wouldn’t have made a big impression on me one way or the other.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I heard Dream On when the lp was released, bought the orange version immediately with Walking the Dig.
    Played it twice through, totally blown away. Between that and Tyranny and Mutation, I was in Rock Heaven.

I eventually had to replace the album, it got worn out (loaned out a lot to people in hs and college)

21. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I bought Get Your Wings when it was the "new" album. I dont remember anything getting much airplay from the album... perhaps train kept a rollin but I'm not sure..... probably heard it at a friends house... my guitar playing buddy was really a big fan of them from day 1.

First time I heard them, probably Dream On via the radio altho again, maybe not the radio, maybe the same friend had the album.

I know Dream On was originally released as a single from their first album, then released AGAIN when the two singles from Toys in the Attic hit so big. Or maybe the stations started playing it again on their own, long time ago, hard to remember.

22. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

I was fortunate enough to hear the albums before I saw the group live. I saw them live in late 1976 - after the first quad of now classic albums had come out.
    They were horrible live - except for Steven Tyler - his vocals seem to be bullet proof - even through a haze of drugs. I saw them again on the 1984 reunion tour from
    backstage stage left - and boy did they suck - especially Tyler.

The first 4 albums were another story - funky, rocking and chalk full of spirit. Most of that can be attributed to Producer Jack Douglas and the very astute and clever engineer Jay Messina.
    Both men were the editing Genius's of the Century. Toys in the Attic and Rocks were the best IMO. Back in the Saddle Again is mind boggling - the guitar part is so clever - The peak of
    Joe Perry's fascination with the Meters. The Guitar Parts move in a angular odd meter - yet locked in time. A continuation of Perry's first foray into Meters influenced music that started
    with Walk This Way.

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't know if anything got much widespread airplay off that album, but stations in my necks of the woods (I was spending time in a couple different locations) were actually playing more than half of the album quite a bit. The only songs I can't recall hearing very much on the radio are "Spaced," "Woman of the World," and "Pandora's Box"--although I'm sure I heard the latter a few times.

24. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

the Meters, the new orleans based funk-style band?

or something else?

I have a bootleg from 1974, Yonkers, I think, and they arent very good

Then I have one from Vegas 1977 and they're very good

I did see them in maybe 78 or 79, at a big stadium.... that was pretty bad.

drugs I guess.

25. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had the same experience. Aerosmith was one of my favorite bands, and I went to see them in 1977. It was a disaster, with
    Steven and Joe fighting for most of the short set. Joe was so screwed up he couldn't play the intro to Dream On, so they just scrapped it.
    They left the stage to a chorus of loud boos, (not by me.) Fortunately the night was saved by the opening act, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush.
    I was disappointed in Aerosmith that night, but I still love the band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.