First turntable - Denon DP-300F - should I upgrade the stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerod, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cliffbig

cliffbig Forum Resident

Funny you should mention this. I bought this exact unit with the Ortofon 2M Red from needledoctor.com and the first time I played a 180g record (the reissue of Iron Butterfly's Heavy), the needle lightly scraped across the record when it automatically returned. I did some looking around and found a copy of the user manual and found a way to adjust the tonearm height, did so, and no problems since then. I would have contacted needledoctor for more info, but it happened on a Saturday, I didn't know if they would respond before Monday, and I was able to find and download the tech manual in less than 10 minutes, followed by 5 minutes to make the adjustment.

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Anyone know the difference between the premium DP300f (silver) and the regular black?

3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

link to silver version ??? I don't see it on Denon nor NeedleDoctor web page ...

4. Vinyl Addict

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I donno, it seems to be a version made for Japan. I don't know that I'd buy it, there may not be a warranty for the US.

100V 50-60Hz (Japanese Import) seems dubious as well, US voltage is 120V (may be OK but ???). And, is the power plug the same as US plugs? the seller has 'good reviews' but I'd contact Denon directly and ask these questions if you're really interested ... the seller can 'say anything' WRT warranty etc..

6. Vinyl Addict

Well its called the Premium, so was wondering if there are upgrades at all.
    Other than that, I prefer the black finish over the silver.

7. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

Everything looks identical to the regular version. So unless the arm or something is made out of a different material I think it's safe to say that it's the same table.

8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

contact Denon directly and ask these questions if you're really interested

9. Vinyl Addict

More curious than anything really. As far as I can see, the only differences aew the color and power cord

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had that table and don't think it's worthy of the upgrade. It is an absolute ENTRY LEVEL table.

Get a better table if you want a better cartridge.

11. Vinyl Addict

You had the silver "premium"?
    Why buy a better table just for a better cartridge. Im confused. I can always pop a new cartridge on.

12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Curious if you have comments about the Denon vs. others (e.g., what you're using now). I have an old, basic but considered good quality Thorens TD145 TT and a Denon DL-160 cart. I've never listened to anything better in my system but am curious about this Denon TT (esp. since being fully automatic is appealing to me these days).

Others seem to think it's at least a decent TT. Heck, NeedleDoctor sells a combo of this and the 2M Bronze. I find it hard to believe that they don't think it's actually a good TT to pair with a $400 cart (costing more than the basic TT), and are doing so just to make money or dupe people. That wouldn't be very ethical nor make good business sense.

I'd actually consider the 2M Blue combo, and buy and extra headshell to swap in my Denon cart or whatever ... don't know if I'm "serious" enough to get the Bronze, but maybe ...

I'm not trying to be overly critical of your assessment, just curious as to what makes you judge it an 'absolute ENTRY LEVEL table'.

EDIT: well, looking at the 'video' since I don't yet have the manual PDF, I see it has a 'captive' cheap RCA pair of interconnects? Errrr ... I'd probably hack these off and install some better ones if possible. And, yes, it has the internal RIAA preamp which is likely of less than high end audiophile approved quality (and that I would 'bypass' ... but how does the bypass 'mechanism' work? Can it be permanently and totally bypassed?). Maybe it could use some better feet or something, but I'd still consider it, even as a combo with the 2M Blue, if assured the basic operation and sound was decent.

I don't doubt that the (your?) Rega RP1 (at $440) is a better quality TT, it costs more and is totally manual. So maybe the Denon is 'entry level' in comparison, when judged against the arm and etc. components it has in common with the RP1. Oh well, I'd be interested in your thoughts on what the Rega does better, for sure. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    PhilBiker likes this.
  13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Just put this TT into service today. First album played: Miles 'Kind Of Blue'. Upgraded the stock cart to an AT100E. Good God does this thing sound wonderful! My go to deck is a Refurbished Pioneer PL-518 but I got a good deal on this and I was curious to see what it can do. Not going to win any 'High End' TT awards but for what it is it is very very well made.
    Platter is flat and machined perfectly-no wobble at all. Heavy Rubber Mat gives it some heft. Stock belt is serviceable but lightweight, got an upgraded on coming from LP Gear for $18-a steal! Auto function is incredibly smooth, much more than I would have expected from this price range. Very impressive. Also the torque of the motor is VERY impressive, when I put the Discwasher on the record I did not detect much slow down from the motor! Almost felt like a direct drive. And the tonearm is very sexy looking, although, the 'finger' arch should be longer, but I'll rarely use it. Counterweight is impressive looking with gold type color. But the sound right out of the box is in line with the 518, a nice feat! So for anybody looking to jump in, this is the sonic equivalent to the mid Music Hall decks like the 5.1 I had. And that thing costs me $875. But of course it's build quality was more substantial than the Denon. But all in all, a nice Very High Quality Budget deck, update the cart and your good to go.
    Oh, and I also put a drop of Very High Quality oil on the motor's top bearing and on the bottom of the platter spindle.
    Enjoy!
    the brave

PhilBiker and GentleSenator like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Good to hear! I love my DP 300 as well.
    I really dont have any complaints at all actually, other than the RCA being prewired.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. The Beave

I just want to put my 2 cent is and am NOT knocking the Ortofons. The Audio Technica AT120e and 100E both fit without needing adjustment of the lifter. I just put mine into service two days ago and the first record I played was a 180 G Mile Davis 'Kind Of Blue'-no problems with clearing it easily. Nice sounding, in fact Wonderful sounding cart for right around $90.
    the brave

16. The Beave

17. The Beave

Your fine here. It is a SHOCK when this happens, especially on a new Turntable because a) you've just ****ed you nice record and b) you've probably just ****ed your stylus. So their out the cost of replacing your record, if they can find it, and replacing your turntable with one that is properly adjusted, all at their expense.
    the brave

18. cliffbig

cliffbig Forum Resident

Had the Ortofon Red on this same turntable; it was good, but seemed a little muted and lacking in upper end. Finally replaced it with an Ortofon Bronze, and I love it. Everything sounds much sharper and richer.

Rick58 and Jerod like this.
  19. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. Long story short, I ended up replacing my cart with an Audio Technica AT120E/T and enjoyed it very much. More recently upgraded my deck to a Pro-Ject Xtension 10 with Sumiko Blackbird cart. Couldn't be happier.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. The Beave

Does anybody know if there is any kind of after-market tone arm clamp that can be used on the 300F?? This tone arms bearings are so friction free/high quality that even lifting it to re-position it causes the tone arm to jump wildly. There must be some kind of 'Snap On' aftermarket plastic clamp that can be attached to the 300F's arm rest. If not, how bout one of you engineers come up with one.
    I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes.
    Really interested in this as the turntable really is a surprise and the tone arm clamp not being there is really the only big 'Foo Pah' Denon did with this kit.
    Also, is the straight arm of the tone arm carbon fiber?????
    the beave
    of course.

21. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

How handy are you, Beave? If it were my table, I would look at manufacturing my own stand. I would guess that you could find a small enough diameter of PVC pipe to cut a slice off of and then cut an opening to form a "C". The idea being that the inside diameter of this "C" would be such so that the tonearm would gently 'snap' inside. A little work with either styrene or wood to form a base and stand and some CA glue and you probably could put together something that was absolutely first rate and functional.

22. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's exactly the way my SME is designed.

23. The Beave

Excellent!!
    the beave

24. Vinyl Addict

I was just looking into a tonearm lock for my DP300f as well. I notice some just snap into the plinth. Im wondering if the Denon is the same as an older Technics or something

25. The Beave

I could try that. Thank you for the idea Mikay!
    Could be Mikay. I would think some enterprising individual would engineer a 'clamp clamp' for it. You would clamp it to the existing 'rest' then have the hook so you could clamp the tone arm. BTW, I still don't know if the Tone arm is Carbon Fiber or ??? Again, when moving it from the kitchen table, which I used to assemble it and the AT cart, the thing just bounced all over the place. Which leads me to say it one more time. The tone arm on this Denon deck has incredible bearings. I have never seen a tone arm move so effortlessly-unless you jar it, they usually rest in the 'rest'. Luckily I had the stylus guard down and the cueing lever up so that it would not hit the rubber mat.
    One other thing for the others out there to ponder, does the diameter of the tone arm tube fit with traditional tone arms from Pioneer, Technics etc, or is it larger/smaller than those 'standard' tone arms?
    What I DO know is that, this TT is a jewel in the rough. Again, it wouldn't win any 'heavy duty' awards but the quality of the Tone Arm itself, and the sound I'm getting out of a $139 AT cartridge is WAY beyond it's price. WAY Beyond. And look at the feet that come with it-Genius, it has little 'dimples' all over the bottom to thwart off shelf vibrations, I haven't seen anything like it on any other turntable. It will be fun installing the 'upgraded' belt when I get it. I've done this before with my Music Hall Decks. The beefier Belts DID make a significant Positive audible difference when compared to the 'stock' belts of those tables. The stock belt that came with my Denon and it's just barely there. Enough to make the table work properly but positively the LEAST belt they could have come up with. Same with the Aluminum Platter. Although Very Well machined, it is really lightweight, but the heavy rubber mat goes a long way to balance things out.
    Again, I was hearing things on the Beatles White album I've NEVER heard clearly before. NEVER. So the proof is in the pudding. No wonder at this moment, Amazon, Music direct, Denon's web sight, Elusive disc are ALL SOLD OUT of the deck. (Amazon only is offering third party units-they themselves are sold out of it!). A damned sleeper that's been going for what???? 6+ years??? Does anybody know when this model was introduced???

Ok, time for a beer break......more in a few.

the
    one
    and
    only

beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.