First turntable - Denon DP-300F - should I upgrade the stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerod, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

If the stylus was in good shape there's no way it damaged your grooves. The number might seem high but if the cart was designed to work at 4.5 and and the needle is spherical then don't worry.:cheers:

Shemp013 likes this.
  2. Shemp013

Shemp013 Well-Known Member

Hey folks.
    Finally got around to ordering a new cart.
    After a much googling and forum and review reading, I ordered a Audio Technica AT120E.
    It's on its way.
    I have downloaded a couple of different protractors from VE, a Baerwald and a Loefgren, to at least get me in the ballpark.
    Apparently as long as I set the cart parallel in the headshell with the right overhang then I should be good anyway.
    At the start of this thread, (a year ago...soz) someone was asking about the DP300F tonearm mass.
    For future reference, the effective mass is 13.5grm. Making it low to moderate compliance.
    There were also questions on whether a 2M Red or Blue would fit due to tonearm lift height issues, but mine (with stock cart) has heaps of clearance and I could easily get away with one of those Ortofons.
    I went with the AT120E anyway.
    :)

3. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

Let us know how it sounds. I've considered that cart for the same table as I found the 440mla on the bright side, so I think you've made a good call there with the 120e.

If I remember correctly, the overhang suggested in the manual for this table corresponds to Baerwald anyway, and that has worked well for me with my dl110.

4. Shemp013

Cool.
    I have heard the same thing about the 440, and slightly less so about the 120.
    I think it might be the AT style.
    Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week and I'll let you know how it goes.
    There is a break-in of 50 hours...but whatever!! ;)
    Yeah, Baerwald was the one I was focusing on.

5. Shemp013

Okay, I got the at120e today and installed it.
    Sounds great.
    There is a certain brightness/crispness to it, but remember, I am coming off the stock cart and there is a break-in period.
    I'm hearing great highs (hi-hats, cymbals, etc) with great left and right channel separation and with a definition I wasn't getting before.
    The low end is full and present.
    I set the cart according to Denons instructions, parallel in the headshell and 45mm from the headshells connector washer, which puts the stylus pretty much flush ( maybe a mm or 2 back) with the end of the headshell. I then lined it up on the Baerwald protractor and it was all good to go.
    Oh, and I balanced the tonearm and set VTF.
    I'm very happy with the cart.
    My TT's sounding better and tracking lighter plus I have the option of changing styli if I want to.
    I really can't compare it with the 440mla as I've never heard one them.
    I'm happy with the 120e though.

Tonmeister and Jerod like this.
  6. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ended up putting an at120 on my Denon. Enjoyed it for a while before upgrading turntable altogether. Moved the Denon to my 11 yo son's room - his first turntable!

sortvinyl likes this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I see that the dp-300f is going for $229 now. Being replaced/updated?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.