FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Moko

Moko Forum Resident

I have to use a Step down transformer here in the UK with my Fisher, and as long as you buy something fairly well spec'd absolutely no problems.

In fact I use a switch to the transformer to save wear & tear on the Fisher on/off switch.

Go for it you won't regret getting a Fisher, mind you that amp in the ad above is beautiful.

2. Unluckystrike

Unluckystrike Rock Garage Curator

I've not seen one. Don't want to stretch out those sockets eh?

3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

A stepdown transformer is easily wound or in the UK, at least, 110V stepdowns are readily available for use with 110V power tools, which the law specifies for safety. I am sure they are available off the shelf in Australia too as appliance parts, but I don't know if they are big enough.

You can always wire an isolation transformer as an autoformer.

Whether the Fisher power transformer will like 50 Hz is a question I don't know the answer to and which you need to ask. The old Fisher literature may say and may not say.

4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Patrick Turner of Canberra is the guy you should contact. According to his web site and long Usenet posting he says many Australian homes actually have 250V or more at the outlet....something to consider.

5. moops

moops Senior Member

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

yeah these 'grab a vintage bargain' threads don't apply to the convicts down under. we didn't have the resources or industry back in the 60's.

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Is $650 too much to pay for a Fisher 500C that has not been restored but is in working order (light, meters, pots work without scratching etc.)?

8. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

It's not a stellar deal, but not a nutty price. You need to plan to spend maybe a couple hundred bucks for recapping and rectifier replacement. Also might have to look at tubes depending on life left on them. Also...does it have a cabinet with it? That's another $100 to $150 unless you get a good deal on one that needs to be refinished. Man!! I sound like a killjoy...

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks.
    It does have the cabinet but I will have to see it in person before deciding on the condition. Do the caps and rectifiers pretty much always have to be replaced at this age, even if the unit "works"?

The unit I'm looking at is supposed to be from 1967... even if it is tube-based, will the 1965 redesign degrade its sound quality?

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A 500C is a fine instrument. For $650.00 unrestored it should be in stellar shape. Look at the knobs, the gold caps still on each of them, still shiny? All the correct tubes in there including the big output tubes? Sometimes the seller pulls the Telefunkens out and puts in Chinese, etc. Should be minty for that much unrestored. The wood cabinet should be as well. If it ain't, pass. Another one will be along.

11. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, forgot the rest of your question. The rectifier ALWAYS has to be replaced. Everything else? Should be tested. But, if the unit LOOKS minty (and you'll know one if you see one), the unit didn't get much use and will be a great machine to restore. Won't need much. If it looks well loved and well worn, pass.

A hint: Take a look at the gold screen in the back that covers the workings. It's attached to the wood cabinet. Any burn marks, etc? Is it in nice shape, still smooth, etc. Look carefully at everything in good lighting.

12. Ere

Ere Senior Member

From the pics it looks a little dog-eared but I might take a drive out for a look see and offer less than asking if warranted. Thanks!

13. Steve Hoffman

A lot less or pass. Check eBay. If you find something, PM me. I'll take a look for you.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I paid five hundred for a restored 500C a couple of years ago and it's a wonderful receiver. I looked on ebay a few days ago just to see what they're going for now and I was really shocked at at some of the prices sellers were asking.

15. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I am listening MFSL Blonde On Blonde on my Fisher 400-C. Just finished bringing it up with a variac and connected it to my Original Large Advents. Sounds like 1966 to me!!

Attached Files:

16. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

DSCF0387.JPG DSCF0387.JPG Is this a Silicon Wave Bridge Rectifier? Aren't the Selenium's Silver metalic? (Sorry About the picture)

17. Steve Hoffman

Just a blur on my iPhone, sorry.

18. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

DSCF0388.JPG
    Small black square right behind the orange capacitor.
    looks like a factory install. It is serial number 63483 a later model I believe. The OP tubes are VT 14- VT17.

19. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

The black, square component is the rectifier. It has likely been replaced since it is not the style of the originals. Really need a better picture to tell for sure.

20. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

That's definitely a silicon rectifier. Fisher did change over at some (late) point so it could very well be stock. The selenium rectifier Fisher used would look like this:

[​IMG]

21. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wanted to be certaian.

Played nicely for 3 hours. Very quiet between tracks. Then the right channel volume fell off. I turned it off and checked this morning and it played normally. I am going to have the tubes checked and looking in to new caps. Any ideas on volume drop?

22. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

What type of speakers work well with the Fisher 500C? I might be picking one up in the next few weeks, and was looking for recommendations under $2k. Thanks!

23. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Here is a better picture of mine (Fisher 400):

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
  24. Joel27

Joel27 Member

Look for speakers with a sensitivity above 90db and you should be fine.

25. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the synergy of the 400 with the harbreth line