FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's a good reason. It's arguably the sweetest sounding Fisher I've ever heard. And those 14 watts are big ones. I'm looking forward to using it with my efficient Cornwalls, and not as efficient AR 2ax's.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The original X-100 has no headphone jack, but it has some nifty features missing from later versions:

• tube rectification
    • two usable MM phono input sets (100k & 50k ohm)
    • phono level adjustment pots
    • selectable L & R-only channels
    • center channel on/off switch
    • low filter switch
    • more line level inputs vs. the 100B

X-100:

[​IMG]

X-100B:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would like to have a new speaker option for my 400. I’m running them with Rogers ls3/5a’s and I need something about that size. I’m just not a good match for those speakers, I find I’m always pushing them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It seems like they are far more different than similar for having basically the same model number.

SandAndGlass and action pact like this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Hmm, as someone that doesn't need a headphone jack or AM/FM I wonder how these would stack up against my 400.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's better. For the last year I've been running a 400 with Cornwalls and it was fantastic. My only complaint was that the bottom end was a bit thin and on the app I have on my phone that measures DB, it would only get to 80 before it would get a bit grainy.

A couple weeks ago I brought home a KX-200, very similar to the x-100 in circuitry. No tuner, or headphone jack and it is unquestionably better. In the case of the kx-200 it has 10 more watts than the 400, I can get it clean up to 90 db on my app and everything just sounds fuller. The 400 has a certain romantic sweetness of tone that one could prefer. If I get lonesome for it, I have it set up in another room.

Action, Sberger and I have discussed this on another thread and we all seem to have the same feelings. The 400 and the 500 are great but if you don't need the tuner, a better option is available. And as an added bonus, they generally cost less. My theory is that without the tuner and headphone, there are fewer breaks in the circuit. That is just guess, I'm no engineer but the improvement is there for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. action pact

The X-100 had more top-end sparkle than my 400, was more lively, and oddly enough, was slightly louder. It also gives off less heat (fewer tubes) and has a smaller footprint.

I sold the 400 after buying the X-100.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I agree, and I love the Fisher tuners, and headphone. Both are extremely well done. But if you don't need the all in one solution, less circuitry, at least in this case, does seem to equate to a purer sound.

When I get my X100, I will might pick up a separate Fisher tuner as well as I will probably be trading in my 500C. That said, I have a wonderful Yamaha T-2 solid state, analog tuner that is better at pulling in stations then any other tuner, including Fisher's, that I have ever had. So we'll see. There's is no beating the sound of tube tuner though, especially if you're like me and love the local classical, jazz and folk stations.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I will say that the FM receiver on the 400 does in fact sound amazing. Where I live there is just no broadcast worth listening to no matter how good it sounds.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, the headphone amp is very, very good. That alone is worth $1,000 if you were to buy a new one, probably more. But...I never listen to headphones. I have a pair a spent a good amount of money on that would take awhile to find it's been so long.

11. action pact

Yes, it is very good.

We have some excellent FM stations in the Boston area (WHRB, WCRB, WERS, WICN, etc.)... but my listening room is below ground level, so my reception was never great. :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I'm actually not a fan of this.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I want to keep the tube sonics and at least equal watts, but no need for headphone or tuner, less tubes to worry about would be nice. Is there a unit that fits this? If not it's no strain to keep my 400. It's just been refurbished and should be back to me next week. I was just thinking it might be best to let someone else have a crack at the unit if they had the full needs of the 400, while I could get a unit more fitting for my own needs.

The full tube circuitry/sound is imperative, because I have Schiit for my SS needs.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm not sure what this means but all these pieces are full tube circuitry with the exception of rectification. When talking about these differences we are really swimming in the deep end. If you're not into the nuance, there's no reason to think about changing. My wife had no idea I switched amps until it blew a fuse and noticed the glass was missing from the XK-200. And she is listening to it with me at least ten hours a week. 99 out of 100 people would probably not notice a difference. If you are running it at its peak, the extra watts (or reduction) is very noticeable.

If you're at the level of interest in rolling or hearing a unit that is designed to run different power tubes, it is very satisfying. And very, very noticeable.

I'm at a point where I like having a a collection to explore. Kind of like having multiple pressing of Led Zep II. None of them are bad but the RL stands out, UK is nice to have but it's all the same music.

superstar19 likes this.
  15. action pact

I'm not saying it's brighter... but it's not as thick-sounding as the 400, if that makes sense.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Try the X101-B if you can. Very much like the 400(7868 tube, too) but even more tube sounding. When people think of a tube like sound, I believe what I'm hearing from the 101-B is what they're describing. Not incredibly accurate, but you'll be listen all day. You'll want to listen all day.

17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Every time I do a search for a Fisher, I get results of Princess Leia. Never fails.

Aftermath likes this.
  18. action pact

That’s not a bad thing...

Bill Why Man likes this.
  19. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I bought a replacement brass cap from eBay. It's not bad although the black line is about .5 millimeters shorter than my other caps. What I was wondering though is how to attach the cap to the knob? What adhesive works best?

Thanks,

Chad

20. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Awesome...I wasnt sure if he was still working.

21. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Al replied to a query I had recently with my 500B and indicated he had parts etc. I also recently purchased from him some NOS dial bulbs. How involved he is on a day to day basis I'm not sure but, his reply was almost immediate. The web site is active.

By what he said, he still continue to restore Fisher gear and sells equipment. Al has always been great to do business with over the years - even up here in Canada. I'd recommend him to anyone doing a restoration as he also answers any questions you may have. He might also have copies of service manuals to offer as well. When I bought my "restoration pak" from him, he included the service manual so I would assume he as all of the other Fisher manuals available.

gorangers likes this.
  22. russk

russk Forum Resident

The "Fisher Doctor" has been notoriously unreliable in the past. Do some Google searches and check over on Audiokarma for more info. It's great if he's pulling it together now but based on past practices I might buy inexpensive parts from him but I'd never send him an amp or receiver.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yeah, do not send there.

showtaper and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. action pact

25. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I'm given to believe Mr. P has an autistic child which, on a good day presents extreme challenges in ones life. I'm sure the issues of not immediately replying to an email can be forgiven considering his circumstances. I've read some of the less generous and least understanding "web reviews" which have been few - not numerous. Same goes for the one off comments I've read for Brent Jesse who has been nothing but outstanding for all NOS tube purchases at my end. BTW I'm not related to, have no involvement in their little business's and have never met either gentleman personally in case anyone questions if I'm shilling for them.

In response to "action pact" I've corresponded and purchased from him over the past month. No problems and as usual, quite helpful.