FLAC vs. AIFF: Any Difference?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audiophile65, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Currently my lossless collection is nearing 2TB, and keeps growing. I need the extra compression there.

I also have no iTunes requirement and FLAC plays nicely with my main software applications that I use. As you alluded to, subjective as each person's setup will be different.

Stone Turntable and Grant like this.
  2. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Actually, I have heard the difference before, but the reason is unclear.

The current thinking is that the extra work the CPU needs to do to unpack lossless files in real time causes additional noise in the system that degrades sound quality.

No one has ever claimed that uncompressing an ALAC or FLAC file produces different sound quality, it seems to be the extra CPU work that uncompressing on the fly requires.

-Sphinx- likes this.
  3. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

The latest version of iTunes continues to support PDF. It's used for digital booklets in the iTunes Store for example and you can also easily add your own PDFs (you may need to set their media type to "Music" manually). They will appear next to the songs from an album if you enter the appropriate metadata

They're related in so far as they can – and usually do – use the same container format, i.e. MP4. Thus you can't necessarily tell from a file that has a .m4a name extension, whether it's lossless or not until you look at the actual codec used for the audio data stored inside of it. Which is sometimes used as an argument against ALAC by proponents of FLAC.

BayouTiger likes this.
  4. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

The file sizes should give one a clue as well.

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Cheeky.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  6. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I don't understand this comment. I have 2,000 albums in AIFF format that have been ripped from CD's, downloaded in AIFF format, or transcoded from FLAC and WAV downloads. I have never had any trouble tagging metadata or cover art with AIFF. Yes, file sizes are larger, but hard drives are so cheap these days, that it is not an issue for me.
    I prefer AIFF because it works with all the mac apps that I use, including iTunes, Audirvana Plus, HQPlayer, Audacity, and TT DR Offline Meter.

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

That's certainly one clue. I don't necessarily see the file name extension as a problem myself.

I don't think there's an official standard for tagging aiff beyond very basic metadata chunks. Some individual apps like iTunes may use their own methods but you can't necessarily rely on other devices or apps to expect or be able to read the metadata written in that format. Admittedly I sometimes conflate aiff and wav in my head, the latter of which is even worse at metadata handling.

shaboo likes this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

doppelganger wrote the following as part of a post:

When it comes to metadata for WAV files, as far as I know there is no official standard for storing metadata. One way that some people store the metadata is to use a folder and file naming structure method like this:

/[Artist]/[Album Name]/[Track Number] - [Track Name].wav

Some players like my Sony Walkman (which can access files via the folder structure) can use this to locate and play files even without the metadata.

9. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I mainly use iTunes to tag and manage my library, but I can also edit AIFF metadata with XLD, Audacity, or Audirvana Plus. 99.8% of the metadata I tag in iTunes, reads perfectly in all the apps that I use. If I find an error, I fix it in Audacity. I use these tags: cover art, track #, running time, track title, album title, artist, album artist, bit depth, sample rate, file type. If I want to add (re)release date, record co. info, code number, mastering engineer, or that it is a vinyl needledrop, I add that info to the album title in parenthesis.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Some people have bigger music collections than you do.

11. Grant

There is no difference whatsoever in sound quality. Period.

Randoms and gd0 like this.
  12. Grant

The golden ears detected no difference in sound.

13. Grant

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that AAC lossless take more processing power than FLAC. That may make a bit of a difference on older machines.

14. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Not used AAC much..If you want a mega debate of WAV v FLAC then try this thread.

WAV vs FLAC Deux

15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Thank you All Seeing and Knowing One for your wisdom. With insightful quips such as this it’s no wonder how you amassed some 125k posts, or why you fear stalkers.

ellingtonic likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

rbbert and Stone Turntable like this.
  17. Grant

Welcome to my ignore list.

18. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Finally!

uzn007 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  19. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

You talk so much you are now authorized to speak for other people.

20. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

You should never underestimate a real Golden Ear. Golden Ears can detect sound differences everywhere.

vwestlife and uzn007 like this.
  21. Grant

And, if golden ears detect no difference between a FLAC and an AIFF, then, there is no difference.

22. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Regardless of which file format you choose, make sure you're storing them on an "audiophile" SD card!

[​IMG]

23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It needs 50 hours to break in.

24. Grant

Aside from speed, how would a card be made for sound? Seems like a cheap marketing ploy.

JimmyCool and JamesD1957 like this.
  25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It could also affect the battery life of some devices too. With my iPod (pre-classic version), the battery life was a concern since it was so short compared to other players. At the best I only got 8 hours on a charge and that was when I was playing MP3s and I it set to shuffle, hit "Play" and let it go until the battery died (the battery life was so short that I could almost see the battery meter drop a bit every time I hit a button and changing tracks often did significantly reduce the playback time). Even with my current iPod Classic (with better battery life) it is likely that playing ALAC would significantly reduce the playback time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.