Fleabag (series 2) - BBC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I tried to watch the first episode in the series. The opening five minutes was disgusting, so I bailed. I can't believe fare like this is part of the mainstream now. Oh well.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

In that case, I urge you not to watch Catastrophe! (another excellent Brit series).

3. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Binged through season 1 and 2. Season 1 was good, amusing, a few plot twists I had not seen coming. Season 2, maybe one of the best 6 episodes of TV I have watched. Incredible from beginning to end. Thoughtful, funny, sad, and wonderful performances from all actors (standout from Andrew Scott, and I'd love to see Brett Gelman play a nice guy for once but he pulls off the sleaze so well). The acknowledgment of the 4th wall, loved it! Plus, a truly great ending. I'd welcome a season 3, but what a perfect way to finish a series.

People getting hung up on the first five minutes -- maybe it's not for you (it is was for you, as Deesky says watch Catastrophe -- again so well done). I did find episode 1 was likely the weakest of the 12, but it finds its rhythm as it progresses.

4. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I too found Season 1 interesting and amusing, but when Season 2 showed up unexpectedly I gave it a watch and I was totally amazed. These were 6 of the most compelling episodes of TV I’ve ever watched. Characters breaking the 4th wall and talking to (or winking at) the viewer in the audience is not new, but the way it was used in this show was unique. Never seen anything like it.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a talent to watch. I’m wondering now what she’ll do next.

5. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Absolutely -- Andrew Scott's "where do you go" line, and one scene in the cafe (I think season 2, episode 5) had what we called "the double break" which were so well done and unique.

dirkster and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Love this show.

Canadacrowe likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Binged watch the two seasons.

Preferred S1.

Quirky dark comedy. The priest reminded me of Mark Ruffalo.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

First time streaming a show?

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

physical media

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Brenald79 likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thought we corrupted you lol.

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Moriarty? He's everywhere these days!

AndrewS and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I urge you all to seek out the Fleabag subreddit. There are lots of discussions about who exactly Fleabag is talking to when she talks to "us". It made me watch the show with a very different point of view, especially series 2.

rmath84 and Deesky like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those of us that aren't inclined to wade through reddit discussions, could you tell us who "us" is? Sounds intriguing.

GentleSenator and mikeyt like this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm curious too! will it matter?

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

It's not that much wading...
    Basically the most common opinion is that it's Boo she's talking to. It doesn't quite hang together, though. It did make me look at some of the asides with a different point of view. Here is a great article that talks a little about this, with this being the main point:

I’ve seen it suggested that the direct addresses are to Boo, especially since they don’t exist in flashbacks to when Boo was still alive. But thoughts of Boo always make Fleabag sad, where she is utterly at ease with the person on the other side of the camera.

A Friend With Benefits: The Power of the Fourth Wall in ‘Fleabag’ Season 2

16. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. Well, right now she's working on "Killing Eve".

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I don't think she is. She gave up writing duties for season 2, and there's another new showrunner for season 3.

Anno likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My mom loved this show. I was scared to recommend it when she asked me about it. She hated Killing Eve and Gentleman Jack.

20. Yes, you're right--I was thinking of "Run" which has yet to appear and she is still associated as creator and a producer on the series. she still has creative input to the series. Right now she just finished writing and producing "Run" (which is coming sometime this year) and she finished working on the latest Bond script a while back.

21. It's got a different vibe from those shows but still has her comic sensibility. Maybe you're mom will like "Run" or the latest Bond when it is released.

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks, I’ll check out Run. In her 70s and watches lots of cool stuff (Veep, the Good Wife, The Americans, Outlander) but nothing vulgar, weird or dark.

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

She has been hired to sprinkle some of her magic on the latest James Bond screenplay.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Watched the first episode last night. Normally I wouldn't have been uncomfortable with the first five minutes (hilarious), but my daughter recommended it and she was watching with me. So yeah, a little uncomfortable.
    I will watch the rest of it for sure.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Phenomenal show. I got a little sad inside when I finished it. So great.

Strummergas, timind and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.