Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

It’s staggering. Listening again, it’s like they’ve used the same sample of audience noise over and over again. You can also faintly hear an announcer in the right channel of the sample saying something inaudible but cut off. It’s jarring on headphones.

DTK and ebro like this.
  2. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

This would’ve been a perfect release if the fake audience rupture wasn’t added on. Just like @albabe and @Dondy mentioned, it’s very reminiscent to the Yardbirds Live album with the bullfighting crowd noise. Absurd and atrocious, but I’m still going to buy this set anyway.

DTK likes this.
  3. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Just saw the Amazon is back ordered and will not be able to ship until December 11-31.

4. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Are the 4 so called "Demo"/ BBC tracks already available on the official BBC release?

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

IIRC, don't think so. They certainly aren't unique in the collectors circles

DTK likes this.
  6. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Looks anyone that's interested at this time will have to wait. The major US music distributor Alliance Entertainment must be out of stock. I saw Import CD is back-ordered too.
    Probably a good thing for me because by the time it becomes available again I might decide to pass altogether.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No they are available in better quality than this since years ago.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I wonder if Mick Fleetwood is somehow involved in this release? Would explain some of the shoddiness :).

peachyg72 and albabe like this.
  9. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

So I just bought this set at my local Bull Moose, they only had two copies left. I was originally going to buy it on Amazon this morning but I saw that it was on backorder, however everything happens for a reason. When I went to Bull Moose I happened to have store credit and points racked up that I forgot about, so even though they are selling it cheaper than Amazon is (14.97 compared to 17.99) I ended up paying only $2.37 for this set, which I’m happy about because as I was listening to the ‘68 New Years Eve tracks on disc three I mentioned in an earlier post, I realized they are smothered in NR which I didn’t notice initially in the sound samples on YouTube (stupid me didn’t listen with headphones), leaving me pretty disappointed as I was looking forward to having those performances on CD. I mentioned initially that I thought the audio of that performance had sounded better than the audio source in the video on YouTube but that is not the case. The four BBC tracks at the end of disc three are smothered in NR as well. On another note, despite the added on fake crowd noise the Carousel Ballroom performance sounds alright along with the Warehouse gig which doesn’t have added on crowd noise. The 40 something page booklet is the best thing about this set, very detailed history of the early Mac with lots of photos I’ve never seen of the band. Altogether though this was definitely a missed opportunity, a very botched release. I’m glad I only paid $2.37 for it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  10. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  11. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

It is a stock photo but I have one. You'd like the Dynas. They are wilder than a Filter and more punchy. The smaller size body is a bonus too.

albabe likes this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thats the way many things were done back when. The band had no say and knew little of what was going on.

13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I don't consider 1968-1970 to be "before the beginning," I consider it their prime.

14. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

I (and others) said it once, and I'll say it again: the removal of "All Over Again" and "It Takes Time" bumps this set from essential to "for enthusiasts only", but most enthusiasts already have this. The Carousel songs still have the same moments missing. (I'm surprised they included the partial songs, and I think the ridiculous audience noise is to help cover that up) That performance of "Stop Messin Round" is spectacular, but I don't think most people would find partial songs acceptable unless it was advertised as "unabridged" or something.

This is a condensed release meant for people who don't already know what this era of the band was about in a live setting. Anyone at that point could probably do without the repeated songs from multiple nights, and maybe a bit less Carousel and a bit more Warehouse. I quite enjoy the raw blues on the Carousel shows, but anyone new to that type of stuff might be less receptive.

I noticed that "Homework" is missing the intro. I assume that's because the audio had the French introduction overlapping it, so they just cut that part out. Which makes me think they had to know what this was.

I also see "If It Ain't Me" is listed as "GK Edit". Does anyone know what that's about?

I really don't know who this set is for. This is good for a very narrow set of fans. Anyone who hasn't listened to Green-era Mac live has way better entry points. Enthusiasts aren't getting the full recordings. The set is condensed to make a sharper, harder hitting product, but the songs are poorly selected for that purpose. The misinformation is also really bothering to me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Electric Sydney and John Fell like this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It makes you wonder if "All Over Again" and "It Takes Take" are being held back for a future release.

GerryO likes this.
  16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Barnes & Nobles is selling Blue vinyl.

17. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

The Warehouse tracks definitely have the added applause between the tracks. I checked them back to back with the previous source. Try it with headphones, the extra hiss comes in and goes off at the same time with the added applause.

Dondy likes this.
  18. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Wishful thinking I fear, mate! :shake:

19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Enjoying this set
    [​IMG]
    Fleetwood Mac - Before The Beginning Vol 1: Live 1968
    3 LP blue vinyl Barnes & Noble exclusive
    [​IMG]

20. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

21. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I shouldn’t take it personal that they couldn’t come up with a cd version right?

22. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

you shouldn't, because it is released on cd. the cd release contains both volumes, the lp's are called vol 1 and 2 because they're both halves of the full release

jay.dee and Electric Sydney like this.
  23. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Ahhh! Thank you!

24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Ah, thanks for that, clearly hadn't taken the time to read the track listing in full!!!!

Freek999 likes this.
  25. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Just bought this today at my local Music Millennium...the 3 vinyl set was their curbside deal of the day .... retail 51.99 on sale at 37.99 ...man does it smoke!