Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"...2 target CD's, each with different mastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott J, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

would be nice to get SH's story!!

meantime, which is the definitive Target for overall sound quality?

and is there another CD mastering that is superior to all of the Targets?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

That's the same as my WG by Polygram copy. :agree:

3. SkyBlueShag

SkyBlueShag Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to check the EAC values on it?

4. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I received a copy of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours [0301-2] West German 'Target' cd today...it has the same EAC peak levels that SkyBlueShag posted...so there IS two West German 'Target' cd's of Rumours with different mastering, at least according to EAC!!

5. SkyBlueShag

SkyBlueShag Forum Resident

So now the question is: Do your two WG target discs sound different from one another?

6. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

And in what way do they sound different?

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

8. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Will let you know ASAP.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

10. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Sorry,

Just came accross this thread for the first time. I have both.

They do sound different, and the earlier one sounds best!

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, can you remind me how to tell which is the earlier one?

12. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

After listening to both of these 'Target' pressings, I agree...the "Made In West Germany" is better than the "Made In Wesy Germany By Polygram" version.
    It is slightly (but noticably) louder than the second 'target' pressing and sounds fuller/warmer IMO.
    I have yet to compare these against the two Japanese pressings I have.

Pandrew79 and dav-here like this.
  13. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Hi Simon,

Do you have both of the Fleetwood Mac 'Mirage' cd's and if so, which one do you prefer?

Regards,

David

14. darkmatter

Hi David,

As far as Mirage is concerned, alas only one but I will have to check to see which one I have.

Rumours I have the 04 matrix 3010-2 (03010-2) but have been hunting for the 01

As soon as I have the 01 I will post my findings here.

Simon :)

15. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I think you will be happy(er) with the 01 version. Will be interested to hear what you feel when you get the chance to compare the two!?
    As for 'Mirage', I have the "Made In West Germany" [01] pressing.

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Can we get a simple recap of the German and Japan disks available and in the order of preference (sonically speaking...)?

Many thanks!

17. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Ok now this is my first post. Does anybody know where to find the original Target cd?
    My cousin bought me a used copy of Rumours off of Amazon for $19 and it turned out to be
    the same exact disc as my USA RE-2. I knew immediately when I imported the waves
    from my RE-2 and this "non-mastered" BMG version into Logic and they completely
    100% null out.

My hunt for this originiates back to around 1985 when we got our first cd player and we
    had a copy of Rumours on cd. I remember to this day my father and his audiophile
    friend sitting down and comparing the cd to the original LP and I could clearly hear
    how lifeless the cd sounded. They both had their doubts at that point about the then
    "new high quality audio medium" of the compact disc. Since then I always wondered
    if the cd was ever properly remastered and it was to my surprise that the cd we have had
    here in the house(that my brother 'stole' one day)and the new disc I bought a few years
    back are identical,and that there was an earlier release with a completely different
    and much better mastering. I don't wanna take a chance and risk losing money
    because someone decided to pull a scam just to get rid of their mail-order-cd-club copy
    at an outrageous price.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi and welcome, Skyflash! :wave:

I boiught my Target in the Classifieds. They come up there from time to time. However, new members can't view the Classifieds until 30 days or 50 posts, whichever is later, IIRC.

19. dennislee

dennislee New Member

I have the bmg club cd. the hub printing is...1 3012-2 re-2 src# 08
    gdw cold start 5.03

20. darkmatter

The 01 Matrix "Rumours" WG Target has arrived

Finally have the 01 Rumours and much prefer it to the 04 :D

21. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Hi Simon,

Glad you finally found the '01' version and in particular, that you prefer it over the "04". Glad I didn't steer you in the wrong direction!

Regards,

David

22. Scott J

Scott J Forum Hall of Fame Thread Starter

It's been a long time since I started this thread, and I don't have all my copies of 'Rumours' accessible at the moment, but here's my take on my preferences...

Japan 32XD Target pressing: Prefered by some forum members, most noteably Dave. This is NOT my prefered Target pressing.

I like the 32XD Target pressing, and it does have a minor bit of, dare I say 'crispy tonality' to it, but the major thing it has going against it for me personally, is that it uses the version of 'Gold Dust Woman', that fades with the diminishing "Howling" sound at the end of the song. This really takes away from the song, in my humble opinion, and kind of ruins it for me. Maybe they toned it down, so it didn't freighten the kids?.

BTW, for those of you who are curious, the ultra rare 'RL' vinyl pressing of 'Rumours', uses the same mix. Or maybe I should say the Japan 32XD uses the same mix as the 'RL' vinyl pressing of 'Rumours'.

The Japan Target pressed for the USA, and the West Germany '01' Target CD's: These use the mix which has the haunting, howling at the end of 'Gold Dust Woman', which gets louder as the song ends. It really makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. This is the same mix which was used for the 1st pressings of 'Rumours' on vinyl upon it's initial release. For the reasons specified above, I prefer the Japan for USA Target, and the West Germany '01' Target CD's.

All 3 of the versions I mentioned above sound very good, and will give even the original 1st pressing vinyl a good run for it's money. This is of course, only my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Hopefully this will all be a mute point, when/if the highly anticipated Steve Hoffman remastering of 'Rumours' scheduled to be released soon on both 33 RPM, and 45 RPM vinyl, are actually released.

23. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Hi Scott,

Do you have a 'further' preference between the Japan Target and the West German 01 Target? I only ask because according to EAC, they show different peak levels!

Regards,

David

24. Scott J

Scott J Forum Hall of Fame Thread Starter

Hi David.

Unfortunately the only Target CD I have easy access to at the moment, is the West Germany '01' Target pressing. Maybe this weekend sometime I'll be able to get at my Japan for USA Target CD, and I'll be able to answer your question more effectively. Sorry I can't help you out right at the moment. :sigh:

25. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Will be interested to hear what you think when you get the chance.

David