Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45rpm vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Plissken99

Plissken99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would this be the best sounding version out there, or should I look for an original?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Which album? Self-titled?

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I was curious about that too - 'Fleetwood Mac' and 'Rumours' both came out as ltd. 45 RPM versions a couple of years ago. Do they sound markedly better?

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

my preference for this is the MFSL vinyl but the 45 is very nice and sounds great.

5. Plissken99

Oops yeah meant Rumors especially.

6. Plissken99

So looks like the MFSL version can be had for about the same price. Better to get one?

7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

yes, I would, but really both are great. This is not the Rumours album but the '75 self-titled.

8. Plissken99

Ah, can anyone say which version of Rumors is better?

9. lobdale

lobdale Forum Resident

I have listened to a variety of copies of Rumours on vinyl, lots of mid-80s prints, originals... the album kind of suffered from coming out at around that time when a lot of vinyl was impure and just sounded like straight up ****.

The 45 RPM remaster blows everything else out of the water, full, rich, great clarity, lots of range even on my relatively modest vintage setup (1968-71 era Pioneer and Superscope/Marantz gear). Discs are thick and heavy, packaging and press quality is awesome, dead silent... there's a reason the things were sellin' out at 50 bucks a set. Mastered from original tapes... one of my favorite albums of all time and definitely one of my favorite overall pressings of all time.

Get it!

10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 the 45 RPM version is stupendously good. On my system, it sounds like they are in your room: a lot of room sound in the recording that I hadn't noticed (nearly as much) on other versions.

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

45 rpm or 33 rpm remastered by our host is the best.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Make sure that the copy of Rumours 45 rpm that you buy is the US pressing, easily identified by the loose shrink wrap and the sticker with rounded corners. That's the version mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman.

pexie, MRamble, jammincrowe and 3 others like this.
  13. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

45rpm is the best by far :) Truly must have piece of vinyl!

:)

Jrr and TLMusic like this.
  14. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Since when did two 12 in singles stuck together became £ 45!!! I hate it a rip off!!

15. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The Gray / Hoffman 45rpm reissue pressing of Rumours is the absolute best version I've heard. Even the nicest originals don't really come close, in my experience.

The 45rpm is a demo disc, I highly recommend it for anyone who wants great sounding rock vinyl.

16. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i had a uk original....the dvd-audio...the 33rpm analog productions...and now the 45rpm analog productions.

the dvd-audio sounds awesome....just as good as my uk original.....maybe slightly better....but i got annoyed that never going back again wasnt the original version....also didnt like they changed the track order....also i love vinyl and wanted it on vinyl more.

i will say i think the 33rpm AP and 45rpm AP are cut at slightly different speeds....or maybe its my turntable....but the 33rpm sounds a bit slower to me...the 45rpm sounds at the correct speed.

i felt the 45rpm had more detail than my uk original.

17. Plissken99

18. lobdale

lobdale Forum Resident

19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Anyone notice a few of the tracks on the 45 rpm version are untrimmed? I think Gold Dust Woman even has a count in!

Great sound on this and the self titled album -'the "room sound" on Landslide was something I'd never noticed before.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Did anyone with a copy of the 45rpm (Hoffman version) have issues with non-fill on the last track of side 4? My copy is flawless right up until the last 2 minutes when all hell breaks loose. I even tried returning the copy and getting another....same thing. I decided to just keep it as it sounds so damn good, and it's getting harder and harder to get. Also, the fact that the store did not have anymore played a role in my decision :)

21. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

It is so damned good! Bought the original at the time, and the 45rpm last year hoping to finally hear it the way I thought it should sound. It has exceeded my expectations. It's like a veil has been lifted. The sound is just so much more dynamic and alive.

I have not had any issues with any of the sides.

22. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Yes, I noticed that, along with the scream! EDIT: The scream is the count.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  23. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I didn't have that problem. When there are defects on otherwise stupendous LPs, it drives me bonkers. Hard for me to ignore. I feel your pain.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If Rumours, it is phenomenal. I have an extra sealed copy you can have for a lot less if you want to PM me. They used to be hard to get and then they repressed it. I bought three thinking I would give them to friends but I still have one. The only negative is flipping the darn things every ten minutes, but if you just want the very best sound, I don't know how it will ever get better. Beautiful packaging too. I'm sure you know our host mastered this? Was thrilled to finally get a Hoffman product on vinyl!

Rickchick and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn't know MFSL pressed Rumours on vinyl....I am 98% sure that never happened. Nautalus did and imo it is absolutely terrible. There is the ST album on MFSL, however. I love everything MFSL with the exception of the boxed in sound of Linda Ronstadt's Prisoner In Disguise.

Rickchick likes this.