Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45rpm vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not a CD fan in general, but I agree, that first CD was definitly not up to par.

c-eling likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Always look for the gold hype sticker. They are on every copy I’ve ever seen, whether the 45 or the 33. Be paricularily careful with the 33; there are two pressings!

AppleCorp3 and PATB like this.
  3. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Your'e very kind as my english is not quite the best and i'm aware i don't have the technical langage to write an analysis like i would.
    Thank you again.
    I'll try to do Dreams before the end of the week and produce a more detailed analysis.

ispace and Jrr like this.
  4. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have never seen it here either. As far as I recall, I got mine from What Records in the U.K. when it was released. I think it wasn’t an easy one to get at the time? Just checked my copy now. I got it on the 30th May 2011. Can’t believe it was that long ago!

5. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Amazon now has a 45 RPM 2LP Deluxe Edition for $25 (Reprise; April 2011). I do not see a hype sticker on the picture, but I am taking my chances at this price. Fingers crossed that this is a KG version.

ispace likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

No hype sticker, not the right one. The Reprise single disc version wasn’t even close to our host’s version. And if on Reprise, another sign it isn’t correct. Steve’s is Warner Bros palm tree label. This is clearly a non Pallas budget repress if $25 and sounds like it has just come out. This is a very special, ultra high quality album and isn’t worth skimping on. It might use the same mastering but it isn’t likely to come even close to the Pallas pressings. I think you are going to get what you are paying for but at least you can return it if you don't like it. Let us know...hope I’m wrong! I did hear the Reprise non-Pallas pressing and it just wasn’t good, others here said the same. Wonder if this means the 2 disc Pallas pressings are running out?

7. PATB

I checked again, and it's all sold out. The reason I purchased was because it was about $40, then dipped to $25, so I just had to click the buy it now :p.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why guess ? Use the UPC, which can be found on the Discogs submission page : Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

I've had my copy since 2011, and bad news...the one you refer to isn't it.

9. PATB

Amazon is supposed to deliver my copy tomorrow, so I can confirm the UPC then.

EDIT: By the way, here is the link to the Amazon product page.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  10. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I love the 33rpm KG/SH. It's cheaper, sounds great and I think it's good to have this album on two sides. I prefer it that way, but it's great to have both options.

Jrr likes this.
  11. Myke

You may have gotten lucky after all, the 2011 Record Store Day matches up to that : Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

PATB likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That makes more sense! Just didn’t think the Hoffman version would normally be $25. Hope you get one, don’t rule out the 33 version. I couldn’t discern any meaningful difference as an owner of both.

PATB likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Totally agree. It’s also an opportunity to buy both, spend less than $100 and compare both formats with identical pressing house and mastering. For me it put the 33/45 issue to bed. Not enough of a difference for the inconvenience of breaking up that excellent sequence and flipping every eight minutes. Same with the two ABBA Abbey Roads mastered/pressed at 45rpm. Didn’t seem to make a meaningful difference...in that case none at all. Some beg to differ so I guess your mileage may be different.

14. PATB

Just received the album from Amazon and it has the the gold hype sticker!

[​IMG]

15. floyd

floyd Senior Member

on a side note, does anyone know if the album before Rumours titled simply Fleetwood Mac that was also released on 45rpm but seems to be sold out, is going to be repressed? Sadly I missed that one.

16. PATB

Wow, this is demo-level material. I have MoFi one-steps, Music Matters SRX, and other “audiophile” releases and this hangs with them. I am surprised that you can still get the album today, given that the pressing is limited to 4000 and released in 2011.

If not for the info here, I would have been content with my CD copy. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Dmann201, Jrr, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Both that one and the Rumours copy are going OOP, both of these in 45 RPM are the ones to get IMHO.

Myke likes this.
  18. Myke

One of our forum members, @GentleSenator , happens to have a copy for sale. You two need to get together ! :tiphat:

19. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Dreams :

This will be certainly the only song where the bass volume is a little too much for my taste BUT that's only the case when i listen with headphones... :agree:
    I cut about 8 dB on my Marantz PM5004 bass level control (100Hz frequency) to listen to the song in right condition.
    As a logical consequence, when i listen now to digital versions of the song, i find that something's missing... Bass of course ! :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, a few other things jumped in my face :

First, instruments are meticulously put in the soundscape and are on different level of depth.
    Everything is at its right place as for Second Hand News.
    Listening to the record, i'm really looking at the band playing in front of me and i'm able to see especially Stevie singing and Lindsey playing. That's really amazing.

Second, the vocals (stevie's main and backing vox) are SOOOOO smooth... :goodie:
    There is a delicacy much more pronounced than on other formats (my CD and HQ streaming on Qobuz) that cements a new intimacy mainly in the verses.

Third, there seems to be little or no reverb at all.
    The effects (reverb) are barely audible, with the exception of gorgeous Lindsey's volume swells (that make the song IMO :love:) but no effects are missing at all.

Listen also to Mick Fleetwood simple but so right vibraphone parts in the pre-chorus... :thumbsup:

PATB likes this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Yes it's quite a dry mix - but not dead. Still has some air to it, but I like the somewhat compressed feel they achieve.

Chris, Lindsey and Stevie's vocals are wonderful - I wish we could get a vocals only mix of this track!

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

For those of you that hate walking to the turntable to flip a record the 33 rpm sh/kg is not too bad either :tiphat:

Rickchick, rpd, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If you guys recall, I think when Steve was first researching this he mentioned that the reverb was different on different sources and he has asked for our input as to how we remembered it. Could have been for one song or the whole album, I don’t remember for sure. I usually like more than less, but this album was just so well done that the way it is presented on this edition is perfect to my ears.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

As I mentioned before, I purposely bought the 33 for that very reason, to compare. I discerned almost no difference and in the future I will go 33 if a choice is given. A few others have said the bass is a bit more tight but that to me isn’t worth breaking up the sequence.

24. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

have you compared them back to back? i have the 45 rpm and it does take away from the experience but im assuming its noticeable better quality

25. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

is the 45 rpm rumours actually better than an original 1st press?? anyone compare?