Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45rpm vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

See above post and post #89.

Christopher Lauher likes this.
  2. Yorgomou

Yorgomou Forum Resident

Finally found a copy of Rumours 45 RPM Hoffman. WOW! It blows me away. The clarity and depth is unreal. I compared to Hoffman 33 RPM and an old stock copy. The 45 RPM is the one to get. Very happy to have it!

3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Would someone please provide a link to get the 45 Rpm pressing?

4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I recently posted this information in another thread on the same subject
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    It's getting difficult to find, but try checking out BestBuy.com and see if there's a store nearby that has it. I've recently found a few in the Chicago area.

MRamble likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Last time this title ran out my local store had a few left, or so I thought, and I bought all of them to offer people here. No need....they had repressed the darn thing and I held onto them for a few years. Finally dumped them at a loss back at the same store about two years ago. And wouldn’t you know it, now it’s getting scarce again and the price is back up. However, there is a precedent for it being repressed so maybe they will again....why not?

6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I can get Hoffman/Gray 33 and 45 rpm vinyls at Acoustic Sounds. Is the 45rpm really that much better than the 33 rpm?

7. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Tne 45 version is the greatest sounding version of this record of all times, it sounds like they are arguing and doing coke at the same time while singing just incredible lol. But all serious 45 is way to go.

8. Tracey

Tracey Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Wait, what? The recording of Rumours was acrimonious? LOL.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

11. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Not much better.
    Much much much better.
    It is another league.

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think I got mine from Amazon US. Juno Records here used to stock it, but buying direct from the US worked fine.

sound chaser likes this.
  13. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

You realize they’re both cut by Hoffman and Gray, same master. So spread it across two LP’s @ 45rpm makes that much of a difference when the original was one LP? Not saying you’re wrong, just trying to understand the why/how. I’m going to buy one of them, just trying to figure out if the 45rpm is worth paying twice as much for the 33. Your opinion is duly noted, thx.

14. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

It is definitely better, but not as exaggerated as some make it out to be (in my opinion of course). I actually tend to play the 33rpm more as I dislike flipping a record every 3 songs. I think the 33rpm Hoffman/Gray cut is fantastic as well.

Tracey and superstar19 like this.
  15. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have both versions (33/45) and I play the 33....To be honest, I just think the 45 is cut a smidge louder...so it makes it sound "better" to many. I say they are both the same...so fewer times to get up is much more appealing.

16. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I didn't realize it was a comparison between the Hoffman/Gray 33rpm and 45rpm.
    I only can compare between a regular 33 reissue and a Hoffman/Gray 45.
    Sorry for the confusion. :hide:

17. Tracey

Tracey Forum Resident

I have both speeds of the KPG & SH master. I am extremely happy with the 331/3 and purchased the fantastic 45 because of the great reviews and fear of missing out. Honestly, most I feel, would be pleased with either. Will probably listen to the 33 more often for casual listening, more convenient.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  18. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

19. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

whats the difference between that and the prior version?

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

About $50 :D :agree:

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  21. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

looks like it’s a different label too

22. Tracey

Tracey Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    This is a new repress of the Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray pressing, the indicators on the back are a bit different from the previous one - thus, a new entry in Discogs. I have it, purchased this exact one from Acoustic Sounds, it is not a new label (Reprise, but the gold Pallas sticker is different) and has KPG and SH in the dead wax. The 'quietish' rather kind of crazy sounding countdown at the beginning of Gold Dust Woman is present, Steve Hoffman says that this differentiates it as his and Kevin's.
    The retail is $25 for the 331/3 and $45 for the 45 , and is back in stock at Acoustic Sounds. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    superstar19 and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have both because I really wanted to put this issue to bed. I couldn’t ultimately hear a single difference so I only play the 33. The constant flipping really spoils it. If I could hear a difference I would be fine with it. I now buy 33 over 45 if I have a choice. Just my experience and I have a high end system where I would certainly hear it if it was there. Just don’t see how anyone could be hearing a significant difference (as one mentioned above there is a huge difference...really?) as there is no real technical reason why one should. Some say there is a small improvement in the bass frequency, and I don’t doubt that since that is the one aspect that has been pointed out by a few here. However, I sure don’t hear a bit of difference in the mids or high end and I don’t think it’s worth breaking up the intended sequencing of the album for a slight bass improvement. I read the excellent book on the making of Rumours and they put a lot of effort into the sequencing of that album (as I’m sure many bands do) so I hate to break it up if there is little reason to do so. My own conclusion is that it’s primarily marketing hype, similar to the 180 gram issue, which has nothing to do with sound quality.

That said, both are extraordinary sounding and should be in any audiophile collection imo.

24. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Hi, i might be a tad late but has anyone seen this for sale in the uk? (the new KG/SH 2020 2x 35rpm)

25. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Of course the Hoffman and Grey remaster is a delicatessen; but, if you want to take the cheap route, the US original is no slouch either.
    Look for KP on matrices (Ken Perry). Mastered by Capitol. Good thing about it is that it is available both sides of the pond.
    Some German 1st pressings share the same mastering (again, look for KP and mastered by capitol on matrices). Cheap and abound.