Fleetwood Mac Rumours First Pressing ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockitman, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I received a sealed copy that is supposedly 1st press.

The outer sleeve cover is textured.

Matrix #'s

Side A - BSK-1-3010-A-1C
    Side B - BSK-2-3010-1A

SXT is also scrated in the side A deadwax and

and letter B and T not next to each other on side B.

Is this a first pressing ? TIA

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Sounds like a contract pressing, not made by capitol (not their style of matrix).

If there's not a tiny kp in the wax, it's not a Capitol mastering. Ken Perry must have been really fed up with mastering this, but he really did tens of lacquers.

There were quite a few matrices made for the 'first press' as far as I can tell. Some sound different. Search here and you'll find some preferences.

john lennonist likes this.
  3. rockitman

Thanks Mike. Would the mastering tape used be the same as 1st pressing ?

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Doubtful. Given how many they lacquers cut at different places there were probably a number of tape copies made - pre-EQ'd and ready to go. Maybe our forum host would know more specifics.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I've had a few Rumours copies, and they mostly seem to come from the same group of mixdowns. Variations, even in kp copies, include howling or not, cold starts or not, variations in fades, eq, compression, and reverb.

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Can you ascertain what the circular indent diameter in the label area was? 2.703125" as on Columbia pressings? 1.5625" as on pressings from Capitol's Los Angeles plant? 1.5" as from their Jacksonville, IL plant? Or a quasi-deep groove of 1.375" as from Winchester, VA?

I do know that the "SX" was on deadwax of many albums pressed in Santa Maria, CA; while the "T" would have signified Columbia's Terre Haute, IN factory.

7. rockitman

Thanks. The diameter of the circular indent is: 2.703125 or very close to that. My measuring stick isn't that accurate. So this is an early copy but probably not 1st pressing, correct ? Also, the vinyl weight is a bit heavier than standard...not 180 gram, but definately thicker than the majority of the LP's of the day...

8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

All Columbia pressings of Rumours with the "palm trees" label are early pressings, whether first pressing or not (and for the record - no pun intended - my copy's a Columbia pressing). Also . . . I think Santa Maria may've been slightly heavier than Pitman and Terre Haute pressings.

If I had to choose my typesetting variations of this LP, the Columbia-pressed copies are the ones for me . . .

Attached Files:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. rockitman

Thanks WB...that's the label I have.

10. mark7

mark7 Guest

How does the original UK version (K56344) compare to the original US? Do both come with 11.5" x 23" photo and lyric foldout insert? Thanks.

11. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Records, especially this one are all over the map sonic wise. You can buy 2 copies of the same record with the same dead wax and they will not sound the same, do an experiemnt and find 2 copies of a commonly available record with the same dead wax etchings. I used "best of Carly Simon", one had a brighter grainier texture to the sound, the other a little smoother, both had EXACT same dead wax info. On top of that, there are lots and lots of wax etchings for "Rumors". You can try and bring some logic or assurance to it, but in my experience there is'nt any fool proof way. With records there is too much variance in the product, just try and find one that sounds good to you and plays reasonably quiet. I even have an "RL" cut of Rumors and it is not my preferred copy.

marcfeld69, Cardanken and AaronW like this.
  12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have a UK pressing with Mastered by Capitol in the deadwax along with KP (Ken Perry). Quieter than US pressing I have.

JG

marcfeld69 and john lennonist like this.
  13. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i have a 1st press i think, it took me forever to find, but its a rumours promo copy- sounds amazing

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Can you post the matrix info? I picked up a promo copy (pink sticker on jacket, standard palm tree label) this past year and it seems there are even different cuts among them. I'll post the matrix on my copy tonight.

15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

My promo copy (MASTERED BY CAPITOL KP on both sides):
    BSK-1-3010 TH3 F15
    BSK-2-3010 F17

[​IMG]

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Are you kidding?:wtf:

rockinlazys likes this.
  17. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I got an old copy of Rumours yesterday, US pressing, BSK 3010 in a textured sleeve with the insert. Given its on Warner Bros i was surprised that its got MASTERED BY CAPITOL in the dead wax. How come Capitol mastered this? I assume WB contracted out the pressing due to the high demand? Its on nice thick vinyl, pretty noisy but sounds good and hopefully will come up OK with a good wash.

Deadwax also says F25 on one side, F22 on the other - does this mean the 25th (and 22nd) stamper? Again, if its due to the volume pressed, I shouldn't be surprised.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I remember reading quite a long time ago someone here said that the F22 copies had a very good sound.

pexie and marcfeld69 like this.
  19. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

6, meet w.b. One day you'll want to know what sort of lathe cut a record, and what company actually did the pressing. Check out the archives.

20. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It was cut at capitol because FM wanted Ken Perry to do it, and that's where he worked. F identifies one of the lathes at Capitol, and the numbers are lacquer numbers not stamper numbers (common confusion).

There are a few 'original' sets of lacquers numbered 1 to 25 or so - I have seen that range, there may be more - on the palm tree label. The discs vary a little in quality (a bit more or less on the compressor here and there, and on the fly gain changes to make some parts 'punch' a bit more) but there aren't any really bad ones. Pressed all over the country at various places, some are marked.

Sets were also sent out internationally.. I have a few UK pressings from this set.

Not rare, well worth buying a few and listening to sort out the best one.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I found a Santa Maria copy today with the earliest stampers I've seen:
    BSK-1-3010 SM1 F1
    BSK-2-3010 P1 F2
    Curious to see how this one stacks up!

pexie and john lennonist like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Warners serviced and reserviced promos of this title for a long time. All the promos have the pink promo sticker. Yours could be an early or late promo.

Unfortunately, by the time this album was released Warners was no longer using custom promo labels for the first promo issue.

23. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I know this is an old (fascinating) thread, but I am curious. I picked up what I guess must be a Japan early Rumours. Now, the thing is, it has a lot of the details I have read above or on other threads such as MASTERED AT CAPITOL in the deadwax along with the '3' and M-A 56, then BSK-1-3010 (handwritten), then F22 on both sides, but the cat no. in the wax is P-10233W1, with P-10233W1 on the palm tree label. It clearly states 'Made by Warner-Pioneer Corporation, Japan' on the label. There is also what looks like' 7-Z' in the wax only on Side 1. Both sides have what looks like an eccentrically-written 'KP'. My question is: if this is a Japan LP, would it have all these markings? Haven't had time to play it yet, but it looks suspiciously in good condition!

Can't tell much from the cover, except that it does have a Japanese insert; I can only make out the remnants of a number on the spine ending in '233 N' but whether that relates to the record is anyone's guess. I don't know if this can be described as a textured cover but it's hard card with what I can only describe as half-matt/half-gloss. I don't know what the technical term is ...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    jasonsouza77 likes this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I have the same pressing Marc, mint condition. Yours has the Obi strip yeah?
    Someone has mentioned in another thread something about KP doing a cut for the Japanese pressing.
    Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to play it yet, no cartridge for the moment. Anyway the key here I believe is the F22 on both sides. Said to be one of the better pressings. Please report back here when you have listened to it and tell us how it sounds !

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks! And for the quick response. I don't have the obi, which maybe explains why it was ridiculously cheap (¥300!), but I have yet to play mine, too. But soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.