SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Hi, just got my 33 1/3 copy (Thanks JRR)
    Back says made in USA
    Barcode reads 0 9362 49793 57
    Number on spine 517786-1
    It is the KPG/SH@ A can't read the rest
    But it is the KG /SH!

Jrr likes this.
  2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Scott where did you buy it? Have you open it yet? If you did, have you played side 1, speed correct? I ordered both this morning from M.D.. Congrats obtaining the SH/KG one!

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I picked it up for him at a Barnes & Nobel. It was their last copy but I’m sure other locations have it. Our local huge vinyl store sold their last copy last week. All my usual on line places were out, but people are having luck on Amazon.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Was my pleasure to help. Please let us know what you think!

5. Laser Red

Laser Red Forum Resident

I've got a copy in the classifieds if you're still having trouble tracking one down. I have the 45, and that's all I need.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Just purchased the 45 version with a Amazon gift card. I have a mint Nautilus version that at least to me sounds pretty darn good. YMMV.

7. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

The ones at Barnes And Noble appear to be the desired ones.

Jrr likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've had it in my collection since it came out (41 years), but I have yet to hear it 1,000 times. Still works for me.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ha Ha! You think the Nautilus sounds good...and I have no doubt that to you it does. So often we don’t know what we have isn’t bad until we hear something better. I wouldn’t say this unless I knew you had not ordered something else...raining on people’s parade is so uncool. But since you have, may I say that out of all the MFSL and Nautilus pressings that I own...tons of them from the 80’s to current, the Rumours album by Nautilus is hands down the worst sounding “audiophile” album I have ever heard!! Not only is it lousy, it doesn’t even retain the good elements of the original. I wish I could see your face when you put on Steve’s version. Are you in for a treat! And hopefully this post will disappear into the sunset when you list the Nautilus on the classifieds here...lol! I also need to say that, because of Rumours, I thought all the Nautilus would be bad because they butchered it terribly. But in their defense, I just got Heart’s Dreamboat Annie from my local store, paid $20 for it, and finally my search is over for a great sounding copy of the album. On the other spectrum, I have Rita Coolidge’s Anytime...Anywhere and it’s splendid. So, like MFSL, I guess they are hit and miss and their product should not uniformly be ignored. So, hope I didn’t offend you...I’m just excited for you! The only reason I knew the Nautilus was so bad is I already had a few other copies prior; I’m assuming you likely didn’t. It reminded me of when you would put a cassette in and turning the Dolby off made it sound better by restoring the highs. It’s just very muddy sounding. But, how would you know?? So, have fun when it arrives!

10. alcheung

alcheung Forum Resident

I also liked the nautilus version of rumours. It does sound more digital in that the highs can sound a bit bright but that does not bother me. My go to version the the 24/96 download. I do have (2 copies each) of the 331/3 and 45 of steve's mastering but I have only played the 331/3 copy once. I guess i should try it again.

Deano6 likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting! I wonder if my Nautilus was a bad pressing, or maybe it was a DBX encoding as they did issue some that way, and the sticker had come off the shrink? That is kind of what it sounded like, but another forum member also hated this pressing as well. Brightness was definitely not the issue as it was way too dull sounding. Very veiled...clearly you have a different pressing.

12. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I was with you till you asked "How would you know?" That's pretty pretentious , don't you think? I am 56. I've owned several copies over the years since the date of its release. Everyone hears differently. Another guest has already chimed in that they like the Nautilus too. I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about either. Poor guy. Sheesh!

13. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

This link worked for me for the 45 rpm in loosely fitted bag with spine 517787-1. It is indeed the SH/KG 45 rpm cut.

BIGGER Dave likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

He didn't mean it that way. Trust me, when I read it last night myself, I knew it would be taken in a bad way. He means you've likely never had anything else to compare it to (I know that's an assumption), but he's just so happy for you that you bought this revelatory version. As someone who gets misunderstood a lot myself, I know what he's trying to get across.

scottc1963 and Deano6 like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a DBX encoded version of Rumours. Besides if you hear a DBX encoded LP without a decoder, what you describe is the opposite of what it would sound like.

16. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Indie charged you $20? My how the times changed I think I paid $6 for mine from them in 2012, I guess by discogs thats going rate now though. I did 4 years under them we most likely crossed paths at least once, but we are in agreeance the 45 rpm hoffman cut is the to end all version. I can't listen to any other version on my own accord anymore

17. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

There are at least two different Nautilus pressings. One has Warner Brothers dead wax matrix. The other one has Nautilus' matrix, which may have KM, or something like that. Those two different pressings, are in addition to dbx.

Jrr likes this.
  18. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

I absolutely adore this album, although I gave it away a while ago (like 5 years ago) because I wanted the deluxe edition (I know, stupid) and I still haven't picked it up yet because I'm not sure about the sound quality. Can anybody vouch for the 2004 or the 2013 remasters? Are they good or should I just rebuy the original CD?

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, that explains it! Guess the poster above got a much better version.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Your take was exactly what I mean’t...thank you! I have lots of albums that I thought were fine until I got a better pressing. Sometimes you just don’t know, and he seemed to really like his copy. However, apparently there were two different pressings so clearly mine was the bad one.

Myke likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, they really got crazy with their prices the last five years, though I am okay with $20 for a true audiophile album. Most of their decent albums were under $5. Then it was $7.99, then $10.99, then $14.99 and an awful lot have hit $19.99. But I have now noticed a lot of it is just sitting, and a lot of newer used albums they are putting in the bins are priced much more realistically, $7.99-$10.99. And they don’t even place much regard on condition. However, they don’t hassle me about returns so it’s not a huge issue.

NapalmBrain likes this.
  22. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

This thread is about the 45 RPM vinyl that SH mastered. Here is a link to a thread regarding the Rumors CD:

Which Fleetwood Mac Rumours to get?

TheGMaster and c-eling like this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There wasn’t a dbx version.

24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

This week, I received the 45 RPM and 33 1/3 RPM versions from Music Direct, and I'm currently listening to the 45 RPM version. 33 1/3 is still sealed.

I can report that the 45 RPM version I purchased from Music Direct is the KG/SH mastering on all four sides. Pallas sticker on the front. Loose shrinkwrap with a perforated top edge to open it up and unseal it.

The amount of new details and subtle layers of the mix is astounding. It's sometimes hard to believe I'm hearing the same music I've been hearing for the last 40+ years, because it sounds so fresh in this edition. I can appreciate the care and attention that was put into this recording, much more than before.

Craig.

googlymoogly, Xander2017 and Jrr like this.
  25. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

Thanks!