SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The DVD-Audio does play on a DVD-V player, just not in HiRez.

2. John

John Senior Member

Wow Steve- Im so excited about this is coming out. I simply cannot find a copy that has both a good sounding side 1 AND a good sounding side 2 IMO. It will be great to hear this, as originally intended. Like Yes Fragile, I am also glad that you poured thru all the versions that you did, and the fact many of those were KP versions means even more! Word on the street has always been that the right KP original is the one to beat. Im betting that will change.

3. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

:goodie: :goodie: Can't wait!! And just include "Silver Springs" if you can.The verison I got is the 2-disc Rhino remaster done by Inglot which is good,but not way I remember.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Thanks a bunch Steve. I'll definitely be plopping down some cash for this one. :agree:

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Just to be clear (not sure I was?)

The US WB CD labeled RE-1 in the inner-ring of the disc (4-digit catalog number) was the revision Steve just made mention of. Inglot did not use this master or make the mistakes that this disc did, but I agree that Inglot gave it the Inglot sound. You may like it but it also has its own separate sonic misfortunes, IMHO.

The RE-1 disc uses a digitally made mastering which has:

1. "Second Hand News" (Linsey's Yeh!) at the end with his guitar part is looped around once, then faded.

2. "Dreams" Ends with "you will know.....Oh, oh, oh, you'll (edit)owwww...:" How this got past anyone's radar is kinda strange. Listen to XM and your local radio station and you'll hear this botched ending, even past their radar!

3. "Gold Dust Woman" was MADE to be faded up, and there might even be some scrawl on the 2nd master tape do to this. The RE-1 disc starts COLD (without the count-in, supposedly on the master!) and fades about 40 seconds earlier than it should.

THIS DISC, THIS VERSION, became "the one" in most people's collections. If you have such a disc, throw it out.

This is why, at the time, I spent $25 (in college - used book money, no less!) to get the Japanese CD (Forever Young Series, #20P2-2036) to avoid the problems in the RE-1, which was everywhere, even hundreds dumped into the used bins. It had all the right stuff and didn't sound like poop either.

6. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

I will be buying this one. It is such a great album! I hope you can do a non-digital version of Tusk as well. That would be my ultimate! :)

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Once again, GOLD DUST WOMAN was NOT made to be faded up. It was mixed and fussed over with a cold opening. That fade up trick was a last minute addition that happened at the mastering stage and not always!:) If they had wanted the song to fade up initially they would have mixed the beginning as a permanent fade up. They did not. Even when the album was a hit and they were futzing around with the lengths of the songs they did not splice in a fade-up edit intro piece to the master. It's always been a cold intro on the master.

8. Sckott

Any reasonable doubt that Ken Caillat left it that way so it COULD be faded in at mastering? Meaning, he decided later, but didn't BOTHER making another mix to fly into the reel? :) There are a lot of masters with "special directions" on the box, no?

Not doubting history or your insight, but...?

9. Steve Hoffman

They would have manufactured an edit piece and spliced it right in like the way they did that elongated end on Second Hand News. They didn't. Like I said, this was something that was decided upon in mastering. They didn't want to destroy the cold beginning by mucking with the tape. Indeed they used the intro cold on the initial radio pressing and several lacquer recuts.

My personal feeling is that one "camp" liked the fade up and one didn't. They compromised by doing some one way and some the other hence the leaving of the cold intro on both sets of master tapes and making Ken Perry's life miserable forever after by having to fade up so many recuts.

Just one of those things.:laugh:

10. Sckott

When I was in college and "upset" that Rumours had changed in that way, I called a rep at Warners. Said "someone would call me back about it". Not sure why a lowly college radio station doode would get a call back, but my curiosity, ect....

Lo and behold, Christine's then husband and/or manager called, wanted to set me straight. Polite, but firm (wasn't John though)

"That is the way it's SUPPOSED to be." was the reply no matter how I made example of how the LP was for many years, no matter how I asked the question, of course.

Can't remember what his name was, but British for sure....

11. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

That is what I thought you said. But that's why I'm confused. My Inglot 2-disc remaster does have some the very things you say it should not have - in particular, the ending of SECOND HAND NEWS looped in a second time.

12. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

Very interesting! Thanks Steve.

Does anybody have a complete list of which variations appear on which CD versions? There seems to be a lot of confusion about this...

13. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I've tried countless times and can't come up with a single "good" side.

I too can't wait to hear this. I'm actually REALLY excited to get it.

14. Russ

Russ Outlaw

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I've never ever heard that!

16. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

I've heard it,unfortunatly.:rolleyes:

17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

So which variation does the DVD-A follow, or is it its own unique beast?

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

If I can remember correctly, the DVD-A surround portion is pretty dry and there's little or no reverb on it. I'll have to bust it out and give it a listen.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like the smoothness and warm sound of the Inglot CD, but I can'tr wait to hear Steve's LP. I had an original pressing back in early 1977, but my playback was crappy so I have no idea how it sounded.

20. Steve Hoffman

Want to update this thread. Since I originally started it, all original first generation mixes have been uncovered and restored to cutting reels. The "full Scream" version of GOLD DUST WOMAN is going to be on our new 180 gram LP as well as the original count down from first DJ version along with the proper length versions of NEVER GOING BACK and SECOND HAND NEWS and the original "hit" mix of GO YOUR OWN WAY, full intro to THE CHAIN, etc.

I didn't add any compression or reverb or EQ. What you hear will be the same thing that they heard when mixing the record back in the day.

It's a great album!

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:cool:

Can't wait! :thumbsup:

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Coolbeans Steve!

23. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I've got this on preorder.

24. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I think it's fair to say that your version of RUMOURS will be the ultimate one.

By the way, I read here (I believe it was Jamie who posted it) that someone's cursing at the beggining of "The Chain". Does anyone hear that? I can't spot it.

25. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Sounds great Steve. I can't wait to hear it. :righton: