FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

THAT would've made me pre-order anyway, if the e-mail hadn't beat you to it. :laugh: Really afraid of it selling out while I sat on the fence. Phew ! :angel:

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Yep, went ahead and placed a pre-order now that it seems it may well be happening. Looking forward to this on the 45 set.

3. Can you conjure up some insights/memories on mastering this piece o' history?

4. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Sold! I just placed my order for the 45rpm set. This is one of two releases that compelled me to buy a turntable. ('Blue' was the other.)

Normally, April 15 is not one of my favorite days. This year, I'll make an exception.

5. Phew! I am sure it will be worth the wait. :righton:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not much more than I already wrote.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sure you can...did you watch a Peter Lorre movie that day? :laugh:

What did you have to eat?

Just kidding.

If this actually is released, I'm getting 2 copies.

8. Steve Hoffman

Thing that most surprised me was how most pressings both vinyl and CD differed from the original inception of the sound. All of the later echo'ing and compressing was done to keep the album sounding like the 80's or something. Personally, after getting over the shock of hearing the album in it's dry original dynamic glory, the later "modernizations" sounded really bad to me, especially the digital attempt to liven up the sound by blasting the top end until saturation overload.

The original tone and dynamics of the actual approved 1977 album mixes are so nice to hear after all of that added noise.

One shouldn't be ashamed of the true sound of their late 1970s creation, one should take a bow for it.

9. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

This is going to be interesting. Any thoughts on the release of your master 4 years later Steve and any background on its release now!!!

10. That's what I'm talkin' about, inside baseball type stuff we (the masses)don't have a clue about.

Feel free to repeat yourself for emphasis.

11. Nice little thread here and great stuff indeed.

Steve and Kevin, very well done!

:shtiphat:

12. Steve Hoffman

Got a request via email for this thread to be bumped. Here you go.

Nice at the beach today!:wave:

13. Snowing with high winds in Winnipeg today! :shake: :laugh:

14. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

So now I have FOUR Rumours threads to follow with interest...Got brainache as it is :)

15. I quit reading these threads after I finally received the LP. Now I just play it! This is the best that Rumours has ever sounded to my ears. Kudos, Steve!

16. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Thanks for bumping this thread. Just yesterday I pointed somebody in the Rumours Megathread to this one. Until reading it I had no idea about the alternate versions of Gold Dust Woman, as I had only my original LP (still have never heard this on CD). It's fascinating to learn about this, and hear the differences now.

This thread also addressed a question I've had about the guitar riff repeat on the ending of "Second Hand News" I've heard on the radio, which is not on my old vinyl version. I wondered why they did that. As I recall there is a simlar issue on my Eagles self-titled album, where CD and radio versions of "Take It Easy" and Witchy Woman" have additional passages not on my old vinyl copy. I guess that's for another thread!

17. Steve Hoffman

Who knows why they futzed around with a second version of SECOND HAND NEWS? I think they wanted it a bit longer for some reason, no idea what. That "wrong" version was in place on one of the album masters so it must have been cut onto side one of the RUMOURS album at one time. So many different cuttings exist that it is not possible to figure out which one or what era or why. If YOU out there have RUMOURS that has the elongated version of SECOND HAND NEWS on it could you relay me the matrix number?

RUMOURS was the most perplexing project I've ever worked on in 29 years of doing this for a living.

Only MONK'S MUSIC was up there in head-scratchingness.

18. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

It's much appreciated Steve!

19. Teddy P.

Teddy P. Forum Resident

Hello Steve,

I have two copies of Rumours with the elongated version of "Second Hand News." Both have the tan WB label without horizontal lines (post 1983), and both feature the same matrix numbers:

BSK-1-3010 - WW2 - FM test MASTERDISK RL

The inscriptions are followed by the Winchester rifle symbol.

And of course the new 45RPM pressing sounds fantastic! Thank you so much for your meticulous and obsessive attention to detail on this release.

20. Steve Hoffman

Masterdisk? Wonder why KP didn't cut it here in town? Perplexing. I doubt he would have let that mistake come to pass.

But wow, is that messed up or what? Imagine if EMI did that to Sgt. Pepper down the line. Every year or decade they changed a part of it on a whim? Just unreal!

Thanks for that info!

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That cut was by Bob Ludwig, no? "RL"

22. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned specifically anywhere (because I haven't seen it, but then again there are a lot of Rumours threads)...

Listening to the high-rez stereo on the DVD-A, "Gold Dust Woman" has the cold start, a cold stop (no fade-out), and the loud wailing in the end section.

Lately I had come to believe there was no digital release of GDW that has the original loud-howl mix and a cold start.

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've never heard the non-wailing ending, I don't think.

Either that or I didn't notice it, which would be hard for me to believe, albeit possible, I guess.

24. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Hi, as a Fleetwood Mac + Thelonious Monk fan...id like to know how a simple jazz album like Monk's music was more difficult than this jumbled rumours cutting-mess!

25. Steve Hoffman

Two different versions, a close miked mono and an ambient "binaural" (stereo). The stereo stuff wasn't edited and the mono stuff was. Had to match the edits, especially in the last song. Took weeks.