FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

cool Steve , glad you figured it out :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .Now I wonder which version we will hear ? :D Cant wait,cut away !

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I guess that comes with the territory when you press 15,000,000 albums, or however many copies Rumors sold on vinyl.

3. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

When I read about the Rhino reissue program, I was initially disinclined to buy this on LP (having heard it so much over the years), but after reading this thread, yeah, I'm definitely going to have to get this. Steve goes to so much trouble to make sure he gets it right you just know you are getting the definitive version. Please let us know when it is available!

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have the Dutch white vinyl with Capitol" in dead wax, as well as the Nautilus Super Disc.

Do you already have these two masterings Steve? Let me know if you would like to hear them and I'll post nice stereo samples of these two.

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The bad thing for Steve is no matter which version of the 3 he selects, someone will be complaining one of the other 2 versions being the right one.

Sounds like bonus tracks is the only solution! :D :righton:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can you? Thanks. Start about 3:00 in on GOLD DUST WOMAN; just where the tom thunk starts. Be sure to leave the fade. That's always different as well.

7. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

Maybe include a bonus 45 with the other 2 versions on it.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I just checked my "mastered by Capitol" copy, which features the second variation, with a bit of screaming and moaning. For your definitive cut, I vote for choice number three: intense screaming and moaning! :righton:

I know this will sound like the usual suck-up post, but I appreciate you taking the time to really track down all of the variants of this and the Van Morrison record before you cut your own versions of them. A lot people in your business don't seem to put the same effort into what they do.

9. Steve Hoffman

Well, I'm trying to give people an opportunity to hear the real deal. I'm on a mission!

The problem with RUMOURS is that since they mixed to TWO tape machines going at once, both sets of masters (both first generation) have different things done to them in the way of edits, little alt. mix pieces, etc. When one set started to wear out they started swapping songs from the fresh reels. It's so jumbled up now that it's quite a challenge. I thought I had it all until I heard the end of GOLD DUST WOMAN on the radio and said to myself:

"Self, the ending is way different; gotta check into this!"

So, I revisited the album after putting it to bed. It's like a Sherlock Holmes puzzle..

PBo and Primosanteria like this.
  10. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I know this won't help Steve at all, but I thought I'd post this short video clip of Lindsey playing around with the multitracks of "Gold Dust Woman". You get to hear some of the individual tracks in the song, like dobro, electric guitar, Fender Rhodes, and even the screeching/screaming track, which Lindsey calls "the loosest part of all".

gold_dust_woman_multitracks.wmv

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think I remember reading you describing how you chose to emphasize something on either the DCC Band on the Run or Venus and Mars in order to give the people who bought the audiophile disc a unique experience. I hope we get to hear the intense screaming on this edition of Rumors, although I certainly understand if, based on your research, you feel like that is not the definitive version of "Gold Dust Woman."

I'm pretty sure that I also remember hearing the "intense screaming" version on the radio back in the day, though.

12. Steve Hoffman

You will not be disappointed, John.

Trust Steve.:)

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I trust you. I'm poor, but I'll be purchasing Rumors and Moondance, you can count on that.

14. Steve Hoffman

Poor Lindsey! Imagine being the focus of all that pent up anger, heh. He's just second hand news!

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It must have been weird to be in Fleetwood Mac in 1977.

16. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Oh no! Poor Lindsey indeed. LOL.

I love the smirk on his face when he says, "I'm guessing the acrimony was directed at me at the time..."

Although, imagine having your ex sing and perform on your hate song to them. I can not imagine how badly they must have stuck to each other on tour.

:love:

17. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Steve,

Sorry to raise this here as it deals with another Rumours track Second Hand News. On the vinyl copy I bought back in 1979, the song fades at the 2:32 mark. On the CD and remastered CD it has an extra bit that runs from 2:32 to about 2:40, the riff is repeated before the fade. Which version will you be using?

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Here are two LPs as mentioned of Gold Dust Woman. Only issue here is that they are video clips because I don't know where to upload free audio clips.

But at least "Jumpcut" leaves the sound in stereo. You need to hit the play icon before they start playing.

White Vinyl from Holland mastered from Capitol US plates

http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=FC3AB7B2147B11DC8DC1000423CF385C

Nautilus Super Disc pressing

http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=4D53861C147F11DCAFB8000423CEF5B0

If anyone knows a good free host for high bit rate mp3s, I can reload these clips.

19. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Thanks John! I still have to pull mine out. I am pretty sure this track was re-mixed for the box set...

Bob-:)

20. Steve Hoffman

The correct version of SECOND HAND NEWS does not have the fake elongated bit. The original Target CD does not either. The CD remake has it. The original pressings do not have it. Our version will not have it!

bleachershane and telepicker97 like this.
  21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Try rapidshare.com :)

22. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, according to a text on the DVD-Audio: "Stevie performed the wailing, howling and screaming. This was one of her favorite parts on "Gold Dust Woman."

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

In the booklet Gold Dust Woman and a few others such as The Chain are listed as alternate mixes. Not clear if they were specifically remixed for the box set or just alternate mixes done back in 1976.

24. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

RE: Gold Dust Woman

I think Steve has his answer already, but this is what I have on LP:

1. USA palm pressing bought July 1977
    Matrix: BSK-2-1030 MCA-3 F62 MASTERED BY CAPITOL KP
    Fade up time (time until Stevie goes "Rock on..."): 0:11
    No loud screaming/moaning at the end
    Total Time: 4:45

2. German 1979 pressing
    Matrix: WEA 56344 B2 PF
    Fade up time: 0:14
    Loud screaming/moaning at the end
    Total Time: 4:51

3. Post 1979 USA pressing NOT pressed at Capitol
    Matrix: BSK-3010-B
    Fade up time: 0:14
    Loud screaming/moaning at the end
    Total time: 4:56

25. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I've always wondered this as well. In addition, tracks were remixed for that set that were not labeled as such.