FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I hope the clean echo free version that you guys worked so diligently on will come out also. I can imagine how the harmonies sound. I bet the detail is astounding. True sounding to the master tapes yet authentic to the artists intentions.

Should be the best version ever!

Pleaaaaase let it happen :sigh:

3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Sigh. Well that's sad. That has to supremely suck the big weasel when you give a project your heart and soul and then have it languish in a vault somewhere. Kinda like how Indiana Jones must have felt having the Ark Of The Covenant winding up in a storage facility. :D

So now that enough time has passed and I don't hear it day in and day out, can anyone tell me what the closest version to the original is that I can find on cd? Until I find a good lp copy, that is.

4. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

Glad to know you still dig it. It's so painful to read of your great work, only to be left not knowing the outcome. I hope it works out! :righton:

5. Teddy P.

Teddy P. Forum Resident

Try the West German Target CD.

6. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Steve, I think I know the answer to this, but is there anyone (or place) to whom we can write to convey our desire for its release?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not really, no. Sorry.

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I would think that the only party we could convey our wishes to would be the management for Fleetwood Mac... or more specifically, the individual management firms for Linsdey, Stevie, Mick and John. Good luck with that. :sigh:

9. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Steve,

Is there any chance this will ever see the light of day on cd assuming it does make to vinyl in the first place?

10. So, since it could be a while--if ever--before we are able to hear it, just which mix of Gold Dust Woman did you use? ;)

11. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Wow! I hadn't quite realized how long this reissue has been in the pipeline. I was so excited about this thread - man, I hope it gets released! The idea of wading through the used LP bins trying to find a decent "original" copy doesn't thrill me. Hopefully all this will be resolved........
    -------- Chris

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Bloody great thread! Thanks for sharing all that Steve!

I truly hope this one gets out for all of you who love this album.

13. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Thanks for all the info in this thread, Steve. Man, I really hope your version if Rumours is finally released some day...

14. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I sure hope this comes out. It might be the biggest seller for AF if it was on gold disc.

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Shelved. Indefinitely.

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yeah, I have that one...it's pretty good but not as good as a NM copy of the original LP pressing, which you can find for mere dollars all over the place.

But the BIG problem is that neither is as good, I'm sure, as what Steve has done wiith this recording...but which most of us may now never hear. :shake:

17. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I might have missed it in the many pages, but why?

18. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

That really scares me, especially coming from a Gort.

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac politics. It's somewhere in this thread.

20. Sckott

It was more than that. Sad thing is, Steve got it done and made sure that "the whole" Gold Dust Woman" was used, not the fade-in or the fade-out-early. There were other neat things too. Would have been a bigger deal than the Van Morrisons.

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Sure wish all parties involved would come to their senses.

Releasing this LP sure ain't gonna kill anybody.

22. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Reading that makes me sick...this was a must have at any cost for me.

23. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

+1. Maybe not "any cost", but I would fork over a lot of money for this one (on CD).

24. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

Seems I read years ago the high end was totally lost somehow on the drums and they found a copy master, or safety master and had to use that. I know there was lots of trouble on the lp-to Cd issue. I'm new to this post but can someone tell me why the mono promo singles of the 1st few i.e. "You make loving Fun" has a banjo way out front... other diffs in the radio versions of "Over My Head" and "Rhiannan" ... Was disappointed when I got the album and those diffs were gone. Over My Head sounds better on the single (cos that's the way I first heard it) but it fades up on the lp, but has a lot more fidelity than the 45 for sure. I finally found the promos from an old friend of mine who worked at WHN in NYC but they're shot. Have those mono mixes been issued anywhere on CD?!

25. Sckott

I think you're mostly talking about the Fleetwood Mac album, Reprise. Was turned into a Deluxe CD reissue with bonuses, including single-only mixes.

When Ken Caillat and Richard Dashut were going over mixes in the late stage of the Rumours album, they noticed the rhythm tracks had to be transfered quickly, Re-EQd because the formulation of the multis they had didn't allow for the multiple passes during the sessions. This was before SMPTE (google it). Someone had to literally baby-sit the transfer and keep their thumb on the speed control and drive it to sync.

The album, in many ways, was fraught with frustration. Lots of clues stand out in the multis.