Fleetwood Mac Rumours reissue noisy?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tubes and Tunes, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Mine is the SH/KG and has the same issues. I was very disappointed.

Tubes and Tunes likes this.
  2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Sorta, when I started to buy many dups it was to get them home and listen to the sound quality. Records are all different and when you can view them side by side you start seeing the differences and hearing it.

When I started to participate and join online forums like this one I would see how not everyone has the resources for records like you and I have. I say you also because your in LA that has lots of record store just like me on the SF Peninsula. There are many people that only have options to buy online, or they are only able to buy from yard sales and thrift stores. Maybe if they are lucky they have one record store within 50 miles. But that store might/will also sell common titles at top dollar and not have much of a choice in the quality. Stores in these areas also don't have lots of resources and people coming in weekly selling their old records.

Any way I had started to try and get others who didn't have the resources locally, buy at prices I get records at. So I'd continue to shop records even though I had all I needed so I could sell them to members on sites. To keep my cost down I would sell in bulk, by the box load and even not say what each title was in the box. I would be shipping individual boxes out based on a few factors, condition, price per unit, and amount of records.

Like this
    Rock Records
    $4.00 x 30 records all V+ $136 shipped
    $5.00 x 30 records all V+ $166 Shipped
    $10.00 x 10 records all V+ $108 Shipped

Shipping large boxes like this would also save a buyer a lot in shipping cost. Records in large boxes like this is around .50 cents a title total. Better than buying two or three records at a time at a price of $4.50 - $5.00 in a mailer.

The funny thing was I would have people wanting to buy the higher dollar boxes @ $10 & $15 and then ask if I could include a, or some specific titles if I had them. They would say can I get a Hotel California and Joe Jackson gotta look sharp, I'd say sure but those are $4.00 records not $15. I then would also do special orders, and or adjustments to boxes, asking them to tell me what are some of the titles they would want. Also say how much do you want to spend? I would then spend their money picking titles of all prices to fill an order.

By far the easiest for me is packing surprise boxes for people. The thing is many people like boxes like that, they get stuff they never thought of getting, find something new and even when I get them a dup it's a good chance it's better than what they had.

BTW locals like coming by to pick my collection, I have far more than a record store if it's something in my wheel house. You go to a record store, they may not even have a used Zep copy or something like that. Here you can look through many different ones of the same title, this takes years of accumulation of records I'v shopped for. All the while not selling as fast as I buy or as fast as a record store will sell titles as long as their prices are fair.

3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Similar complaint on AU music forum.

Tubes and Tunes likes this.
  4. Tubes and Tunes

Tubes and Tunes Well-Known Member Thread Starter

the product I got must have a misleading hype sticker......Because it certainly reads “pressed at Pallas”. Any reasonable person outside of a vinyl authority would have thought they were buying the pressing that was coveted. If it wasn’t pressed at Pallas, then why is there a sticker stating so?

In the dead wax, it says P USA, 18665, BSK3010-B2 1-517786, KEG / SHEA.

Also, the warp was in a very small area of the original disc I bought. Yes I’m a vinyl newbie, but I don’t need to be condescendingly spoken to. And I was making a joke as in “J/K” ;-) obviously there is something amiss here. I wasn’t being arrogant, I was being playful. Everyone was a vinyl newbie at some point too. I thought I was in a music community, not the principals office. I will learn how to post pics here so you can see my sticker, and you will see what I’m talking about. I appreciate all the helpful comments.

5. bluecase

bluecase Forum Resident

Just gave a critical listening to my 2011 Pallas KPG-SH pressing and didn't hear any of the reported issues.

Deadwax matches this entry:
    Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (2011, Vinyl)

Not doubting anyone's else ears, just adding context to the conversation. My copy is practically perfect. Nary a whoosh or pop to be found.

thxphotog and 4-2-7 like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Looks like you have the right one. Just a crap manufacture-
    I'd see if you could exchange it.
    Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (Vinyl)

7. Tubes and Tunes

8. bluecase

bluecase Forum Resident

Interesting, I have the exact same sticker but license info on back of jacket is different. Mine says "Made in U.S.A" at versus "Made in Germany" on yours. Ain't collecting records fun?

[​IMG]

4-2-7 and Tubes and Tunes like this.
  9. Tubes and Tunes

See? Glad I could post a picture so people can see what I’m talking about. Interesting indeed. I can definitely read. ;-)

bluecase likes this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That is the correct version. That is the 33-1/3 version, not the 45 rpm version. It has been repressed many times since it first came out 10 years ago, so it’s possible that you got a bad pressing. As I mentioned, most people here would have bought the first pressing of this reissue back in 2011. That might be why they seem happy with their copies, not because they have **** ears or potato brains or whatever you said.

Anyway, I think it might still be in print so see if your seller will send you a new one. You seem like a new vinyl collector. Welcome and good luck.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  11. Tubes and Tunes

Thank you drbryant,
    Yes, I am new vinyl collector. Exactly. And I said before, there was obviously something amiss because all those other collectors couldn’t be wrong about the pressing. My joke was being playful and not to be taken as literal. Hence the wink and j/k I added at the end. Obviously it seems that the original reissues from a decade ago are of higher mechanical standard. I’ll try to obtain one instead.

I also didn’t appreciate being spoken down to by some here, just because I’m an obvious newbie. As you can see, the pressing I got is correct, but just a poor copy. It also seems based on others who have chimed in here, that the newest copies have issues as others are complaining of the same issues I am. Thanks for your insight. :)

12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Ok I’m sorry yes everyone starts somewhere and yes your post sounded arrogant. Send me a PM with your address and I’ll send you a minty original copy for free to help you out building your new collection.

polchik and Dr. Funk like this.
  13. Tubes and Tunes

4-2-7,

I apologize for my humor as it didn’t translate the way I intended. Believe me, I respect and admire those here that have more wisdom in the vinyl field than I do. I appreciate the kind gesture. I look forward to learning a lot here.

4-2-7 likes this.
  14. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

That's not noise in the background, it's the snorting of coke. Which I suppose could be defined as "white noise".

15. Steely Don

Steely Don Forum Resident

Hunting and pecking best pressings of classic albums is one of the best parts of this hobby. And usually on your search for a specific pressing you find two or three other titles you wound not have normally found. Enjoy the hunt.

The first version I found back when I started out was an RCA record club press without “mastered by Capital” for a dollar. It was noisy but it sounded good to my ears. It wasn’t till I found this forum that I started searching out a better replacement and learning more about what was out there

4-2-7 likes this.
  16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

This above has been a problem in finding the right mastering and pressing on sealed copies. You pretty much have to be able to read all the fine print in a store before buying. Up until this thread I thought the gold callout sticker on the front would be enough to ID the record that is sealed. It is clear here now it's not and looking on the back to see where it was made might be the only way now.

I never bought the 33.3 copy prior to the 45 RPM going out of print, I had/ have multiple copies of the 45 rpm and actually sold my open copy a little while back. When it was clear the 33.3 was going to be the best copy in print I started to buy the Pressed at Pallas copies I would see in the store. All my sealed 33.3 say Made in the USA on the back bottom, I don't know if it's better or not as I haven't opened any yet. But something is getting really mixed up with all these copies of this title and it's not just for the 33.3 as it extends into the 45 RPM also.

Witch brings me to the 45 RPM that went out of print, we all know it did, and then the price for one went through the roof. Then we started to see new ones being sold very limited as still today they are like hens teeth. I got one from my store just because I wanted to see if it was the same as the old one. Again with this record it has the same Catalog & Barcode numbers and gold sticker saying Pressed at Pallas. But it is in tight shrink wrap and reading the fine print in the back it says Printed in the USA - Manufactured in the EU. This differers with the original 45 RPM that came in a loose bag and the back says Made in the USA all rights reserved.

So take note that if you think this new 45 RPM is the same it's not.

Maybe by this weekend I'll get this 45 RPM opened as well as the newer 33.3 and give them a listen. We can also compare the dead wax.

Yeah all my copies even the 45 rpm say Made in the USA in the fine print bottom back. They also all have 2009 in the print witch is not the time it was remastered. Aside what I just posted above about the "New 45 RPM"

Yeah and we ALL learn new things everyday, nothing is written in granite when it comes to a lot of records. This reissue is fraught with ID issues to try and get the best record unfortunately.

Yeah take me up on it, it's no big deal on the monetary side as it's like a $3.00 record for me locally. I like if I can help people out and I have so many this might help you put the Quest for Rumours behind you.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I vividly remember during the summer of 2015, my quest to find the 33rpm Gray/Hoffman Rumours...there was copious amounts of confusion on this forum and others regarding how to identify the sealed pressing. I ended up with the mediocre EU/HL mastering on my first attempt, but persevered and found the coveted Gray/Hoffman on my 2nd try.

Later that day I bought the 45rpm. :D

c-eling likes this.
  18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

OK, don't just look at the gold Pallas sticker when buying this record as this thread pointed out it's not letting us truly know where it's made.
    Some are made in the USA, this is what you want to see in the fine print on the bottom back cover.

Some are made in Germany, some say at least my new 45 RPM Printed in the USA - Manufactured in the EU. I would say these are the ones with sound quality issues or likely to have pressing issues.

Last night I opened a new 33.3 rpm copy made in the USA, dusted it and had a listen. The night before I listen to around 3-4 old first issues to select a really nice clean one for the OP. But this new reissue that I bought over the past year or so sounded great, maybe even better really. I think with even more plays it could definitely sound better as the grooves break in and maybe a washing. Right out of the cover the record had static and paper dust on it but I opted just to dust it off before playing as I didn't want to add anything to the surface that could change "As Delivered". My copy didn't have any issues or sound quality the OP and others have expressed here.

I'll give the "New" 45 RPM Made in the EU a listen this weekend and post an opinion.

If your in the store buying one of these records my advice is to look on the back cover to see if in fact it was made in the USA , pull the trigger if it was, save your powder if not.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  19. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Hey 4-2-7. You might find this interesting. I posted this in another Rumours thread back in October. I am still perplexed by what I have.

It appears that I have somewhat of a Frankenstein copy. I bought this on the weekend new/sealed at my local indie store and was very happy to see the “Pressed at Pallas” on the gold sticker. I looked on the back and it says “Made In The USA”, Reprise, 2009, American Cat # etc etc. SOLD!!
    I did notice however that the color of the album jacket itself seemed more white than I thought it should. In my head I thought it should be an almost “off white/cream” colour, but whatever. I was elated I got my hand on a Gray/Hoffman mastering.
    Here is where it gets interesting.....
    I broke the seal today so I could check for the KPG/SH@ATM etching in the run out groove, and sure enough it’s there...BUT I noticed the label (Burbank label with palm trees) looks different. In fact it appears to be smaller/compressed with a black border around it and along the top of the label instead of saying “Burbank, Home Of Warner Bros Records” it says “DTLA, Home of Warner Records”. I do know that Warner Bros no longer exists and is now “Warner Records”, but what makes this strange is the Cat is on the label of the recorcis the Euro Cat # of 093624979357 AND it says MADE IN GERMANY at the bottom of the label.
    So I have a MADE IN USA on back of the jacket, with a MADE IN GERMANY on the vinyl label itself, with the Gray/Hoffman initials in the dead wax, with the new Warner Records Burbank label.
    Is this a brand new 2020 pressing/reissue? Or what is it that I have here?
    It sounds great to my ears but I also don’t have an original to compare it to nor have I heard another Gray/Hoffman pressing to give me any idea what others seem to be raving about.
    Thoughts? Anyone?

20. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I really don't know what to tell you, I know my new issue was under Unknown for the date at discogs, take a look there. It seems as Warner Records doesn't care if we know what record we're buying or not. They are using so many different pressing plants, printers making covers & labels and on and on. It's a total crap shoot as to what inside, or outside for that matter on what your going to get.

Queezma likes this.
  21. Lou111

Lou111 Active Member

Hi , I'm new on the forum . I've been looking for a new copy of Rumors and was wondering if the one that has a 35th anniversary hype sticker is any good ? I saw one at a local store , and I've seen one also brand new with no hype sticker at all. I know that the Pallas version is supposed to be the best, but haven't seen it anywhere.
    Thanks !

22. Lou111

Lou111 Active Member

Forgot to check for email updates, sorry

23. Lou111

Lou111 Active Member

Hi , my local record shop has a Rumors LP with a Hype sticker that says pressed at Pallas , but in the back it says made in Germany. It's under $30 and it's sealed , should I avoid buying it or would it be a decent pick up ?
    Thanks in advance !!!

24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

That one sounds like the copy the OP got and complained about the sound quality. I opened one of the new ones that said in the small print in the back Made in the USA and also had the Pallas sticker on the cover. This one did sound very good, but reading this thread I personal wouldn't buy the one stating made in Germany.
    But also ^^^ with the time that's gone by since this thread started who knows. I have extras of the one I opened if you want to contact me for one send me a PM.

25. Pmedicj

Pmedicj New Member

I just purchased this exact pressing after various research.
    Unlistenable! Brand new not a mark on it. It sounds like utter garbage. The whole pressing has so much surface noise it’s not even listenable. I have many records and a good system but this is hands down the worst album I have ever purchased!
    Oh and yes cleaning doesn’t help at all.

Sigma6 likes this.