Fleetwood Mac ..... so, what happens next ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoodKitty, May 26, 2020.

1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM Thread Starter

a news and speculation thread .....

[​IMG]

Will this lineup with Neil Finn and Mike Campbell continue ?
    will they record and release any new music ?

[​IMG]

Their 2018-19 tour (88 shows) ended last November in Las Vegas, followed by a benefit gig in the Bay Area.

There was the tribute to Peter Green last February in London, organized by Mick and with participation from Christine and Neil (and, surprisingly, Jeremy Spencer.) cd/dvd forthcoming?

Mick will be 73 next month .... Christine will soon be 77 .... John is 74 ....
    and today, May 26, is Stevie's 72nd birthday. :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

of course, the $100 million dollar question is .... will they ever make peace with Lindsey and reunite ..... while it is still possible ?

tick-tock !

very notable that this song was added to the show, late in the tour.

some other related threads .....
    Fleetwood Mac Tour 2018/19*
    Lindsey Buckingham Heart Surgery

Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band
    Mick Fleetwood Announces Concert to Honor Peter Green / Early Fleetwood Mac

https-//www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/26/mick-fleetwood-review-peter-green-london-palladium

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I’d love a new album but I think that ship has sailed. Mike Campbell’s album comes out this fall and Crowded House are active again. It was a nice payday for them but not an ongoing thing, I feel like. I don’t really care what they do on their oldies tours at this point.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

It was a nice payday for Neil Finn.
    He recently bought a house in LA's trendy Los Feliz neighbourhood for USD $4.3million from The Simpson's writer Tim Long.

[​IMG]

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Personally, I'd like to see them call it a day, and not because of their age. The Finn/Campbell lineup seemed like a stopgap measure to keep the touring machine going after Lindsey's ouster. I don't believe for a minute that there was really any plan to carry on (creatively, anyway) after they had fulfilled their touring commitments. This just seems like as good a time as any to bow out.

5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I predict no further action, live or in studio. For most of reasons other already brought up.

6. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Lindsey returns for the Farewell Mac tour.

They each get another $8-10m to retire on.

7. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident

If Stevie wouldn’t commit to a new Mac album with the full ‘classic’ lineup (which turned into the Buckingham McVie album), she’s not gonna do one with this version. And the last time there was a Mick/John/Christine + ringers album, we got Time. No one wants that again.

8. JackS

JackS Then Play On

This ship has sailed.

9. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

No - and hopefully Neil Finn will return to his excellent solo career.

Dr. Dog, gregorya, RickH and 8 others like this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I think they’re done...or should be done...but they’ve defied logic so far.

So, your proposal is the most logical.

11. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Especially Mick and John.

12. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Well, I can tell you this, from knowing these guys up close and personal in the past - money talks, BS walks. Mick and John both constantly needed cash, moreso Mick though. Believe it or not, he once gave me a check that bounced. It wasn't even a lot of money, IIRC around a couple of thousand dollars. I had to get Sara (his then wife) to intervene and make good on the check. I was shocked when it came back from the bank as NSF. It took a few days, but I did get the money. So again, it all depends on how much cash is needed as to how this plays out. Since I'm not in contact with them these days, I can't say for sure, but if the past patterns hold up, there could be some kind of reconciliation between parties, if only for a true "farewell" tour.

13. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

:)

It's one of my favourite Mac albums. But I must admit to being a big fan of Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnette.

(I'm prepared for the abuse)

14. i prefer the 1971 version of the band that played on the boston tea party cd's

15. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Yup. Sara was a gem. Mick is a weirdo who somehow just hasn't been able to ever live within his means.

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

If the OP is asking about what they're doing in 2020 (the thread title sort of implies that) then the answer is nothing.....and its nothing to do with Covid-19 either. They just finished a big tour and are on a planned hiatus this year (and probably next year as well).

Heck this may have even been their (unannounced as such) farewell tour.

But I have a feeling they *might* have one more tour in them in a couple or three years - but of course the real money would be in a classic lineup reunion/farewell tour - of course with Lindsay and Stevie again doing their ever-increasingly insincere and hypocritical staged hug n kiss schtick at the end of (IIRC) Landslide every night.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. Maybe they will consider an album.

18. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I was kind of hoping for a live album from the Finn/Campbell line up...

19. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Sara is/was an absolute sweetheart. Truly, she's the only reason why I stuck around as long as I did. Her best friend and neighbor when she lived in Van Nuys, Carla Frederick, was also very nice.

Speaking of Mick being a weirdo, well, the stories I could tell you about my many "Weekends at Mick's"... oy! Some things I've blanked out of my mind, some I have on videotape (I usually carried my camcorder with me when visiting). Maybe the air in Malibu had something to do with it?

John's, on the other hand, was a bit more what I considered "normal", mostly because Julie "Jules" wouldn't put up with s#it in her house. That, and having a new baby at the time (Molly) helped ground things considerably. Thankgivings at their place was the epitome of normal.

ARK, The Gomper, Lewisboogie and 7 others like this.
  20. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Only way I see them is if

a) Lindsey comes back.
    b) They pledge to get rid of all the secret musicians hiding in the shadows and behind the speakers.
    c) They pledge not to use any auto-tune or backing tapes.

21. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

Mike has said in recent interviews that the days of the long tour are over for them all; the last one lasted well over a year and they are too old to do that again. He said they might do occasional shows and we know Mick always needs a big payday, so I expect that means festivals or corporate gigs. I think they’re done, given their advanced ages and that concerts won’t happen again in the foreseeable future.

Paul W and Fullbug like this.
  22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I highly doubt that since Stevie seems (for quite a long time now) to be completely dried up as a writer. Her most recent solo album is sourced from all ancient home demo tracks (that her assistant found on youtube) that she wrote as long ago as (IIRC) 1969.

Her last Fleetwood Mac track (which was her only track from that 4-song digital-only EP) was demo'd by Buckingham Nicks before they joined Fleetwood Mac....and the last Fleetwood Mac album was turned into a Buckingham/McVie album due to Nicks' non-participation (during the several years they spent recording it). They just kept waiting and waiting for her, and then eventually gave up and released it as a side project instead.

Unless Nicks quits, I can't see another Fleetwood Mac studio album ever happening, unless her assistant stumbles upon some more forgotten old home demos on youtube - but if so she'd probably choose to save them for use on a solo album instead.

Will there be a live album/video from this tour? Probably.

Will there be a live album/video if in future they do a "classic lineup" reunion/farewell tour? OBVIOUSLY!

But a new studio album? Well like I said Nicks would probably need to quit/retire first and that's not gonna happen. There's a far higher chance that Mick & John would reunite with Green and Spencer for a new studio album (that's not going to happen either - but its far closer to plausible than them doing one with Nicks unless she ever bothers to write songs again.

23. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

There are many more home demos that Stevie's done (BTW, Happy B'day to SN, she's 72 today) than have leaked out to YT. I have lots of them, some are good, some not so great. Of the ones that she's rerecorded, in my personal estimation, for the most part the demos were better. Of course, they were made when she was much younger, and her voice was still in decent shape. I don't think there's a point to rerecord something and make it worse than the original. She may have dried up as a songwriter now, but she was very prolific back years ago and there's still more to be heard.

Quiet American and jeremylr like this.
  24. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

You should try to find a way to get them to her - or at least get some song titles to her so she can do an internet search for them on torrent sites or whatever. OTOH she might know about them already but dismissed them as not good enough to revive. Who knows? :shrug:

SonyTek likes this.
  25. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

I could have given them to her years ago, when I was hanging around with the band. In fact, I did give her mom back the demos that her grandfather, AJ Nicks made from the 60s. These were on reel to reel tapes. I was barely thanked for that - and I didn't ask for money or anything like that. I have copies I kept but haven't listened to any of the old tapes in many years. I kind of lost interest a long time ago.