Fleetwood Mac-Tango In The Night HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by c-eling, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed Thread Starter

Just a heads up this has been released,I was very pleased with Tusk so I'm jumping on this one also,curious as to what source these are from,I have the west german cd which is spectacular so it will be neat to compare these :cheers:

2. I've been hoping that a remastered & expanded of Tango In The Night would be released soon, seeing as there are so many b-sides and outtakes from that era. I guess HDTracks are just releasing the standard 12-track album in high resolution? Is it at 24/96?

3. c-eling

An expanded would of been great,was hoping also-yes 24/96 and 24/192

4. About time they did the same with Mirage aswell - A very underrated album IMO.

5. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

:righton:

6. c-eling

I'm wondering why Tango before Mirage? And was Warner planning on releasing these at one point on dvd-audio discs? I emailed HD for source info

7. c-eling

Here's a quick comparison fo Desktop.jpg r Caroline-HD tracks on top,West German on botton

8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Despite fantastic dynamics on this new HDTracks offering:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Fleetwood Mac / Tango In The Night (24/96, 2011 Remaster)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR15 -0.04 dB -16.75 dB 3:42 01-Big Love
    DR15 -0.39 dB -17.42 dB 3:43 02-Seven Wonders
    DR14 -1.24 dB -19.49 dB 3:47 03-Everywhere
    DR16 -0.21 dB -19.31 dB 3:55 04-Caroline
    DR14 -3.21 dB -20.86 dB 4:03 05-Tango In The Night
    DR13 -4.35 dB -19.83 dB 3:12 06-Mystified
    DR14 -1.88 dB -18.25 dB 3:41 07-Little Lies
    DR14 -1.82 dB -17.77 dB 4:07 08-Family Man
    DR15 -0.73 dB -18.48 dB 3:43 09-Welcome To The Room...Sara
    DR14 -1.50 dB -17.30 dB 4:14 10-Isn't It Midnight
    DR12 -6.47 dB -22.79 dB 3:49 11-When I See You Again
    DR13 -3.22 dB -19.25 dB 2:41 12-You And I, Part II

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2875 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

it appears that we have yet another Hi-Rez album that is produced from 16/44 PCM sources:

Attached Files:

9. Damauritz

Damauritz New Member

If that were true, you'd not see a single thing above 22.05 KHz, and there is a bit of noise above that threshold. It could have been recorded digitally at 44 KHz PCM and bounced to analog, then sampled back to digital for this collection. Does anybody have any information out there on the recording of Tango in the Night?

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Isn't it what I said ;)?

11. c-eling

Lol,thanks for the complete analysis,if these are just simple up conversions wouldn't law prevent them from marketing these? Just curious

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What law would that be?

I've never bought anything from HD Tracks, but I find it sad that anyone has to even ask what their sources are. It should be plainly stated right there on the page where they sell the files. Give they are selling an allegedly premium product for a select market, why are they cagey at all about their sources? It doesn't inspire any confidence.

13. Sorge

Sorge Member

14. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

But as he said, this is not a simple up-conversion, as there would be nothing above 22kHz. However, I believe that Tango had more digital source material than Tusk did and may not be worth the investment, IMHO.

There have been some simple up-conversions released on Hi-rez formats including SACD and HDTracks. But HDTracks relies, for the most part, on the artist/studio for the material.

15. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Sadly, just like Christopher Cross' s/t debut album, I'll continue to wait for a tangible product to experience the masterpiece that is Tango... in hi-res. The HD tracks thing has never piqued my interest.

16. S.P.

S.P. New Member

The multitracks could be recorded OR edited in digital, and mixed to analog. The vinyl's spectrum looks like HDTracks' release. I assume that analog master was transferred to digital 24/192 as is, and it is not upsampled.

By the way the original CD sounds fine.

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Ok, here is the spectrum of the first 109 sec of 24/96 Big Love. There is pretty much nada above 20kHz there:

Attached Files:

18. This looks like something that was originally recorded digtially at 44 kHz, but has an analogue stage somewhere in the lineage. Maybe it was mixed in the analog domain? The credits in the CD booklet don't give us any answers on this subject.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Other than bass and guitars, all the keyboards and drums sound like samples anyway, which in 1987 were probably 16/44 samples. I Don't think there's a natural keyboard or drum sound on that whole LP...maybe that's why I never really got into that album.

20. Tango In The Night was recorded and mixed using an analogue system - It says so on the back of the original CD, so the only way this could be an upscaled 16/44.1 edition would be if the CD master was used as the source rather than the original analogue tapes. I really hope the analogue tapes were used for this high resolution version.

21. HDTracks told me in an email recently that they never release upsampled material... although that is provided they are telling the truth.

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Mirage is now available, in 24/96 and 24/192 flavors!

23. c-eling

Yeah just got an email,boy FM is being pumped out like rabbits lol,happy with the last few offerings so I'll probably grab this one also :)

24. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Here’s a spectral display of a 24b/96kHz needle drop of Tango In The Night “Big Love” displaying both some sharp cutoffs around 22kHz and some full freq. extension which implies this is a mix of digital and analog recording and/or processing.

Attached Files:

25. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Curious if anyone who has this version also has or has heard the Japanese 1st pressing of Tango CD (or Mirage, for that matter) and compared the 2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.