Fleetwood Mac Tour 2018/19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Right. But so that's already 3 songs no one came there to see.

It sucks as an artist to be stuck having to play the same songs every night, but on the other hand, it must be nice to have that many hits to go through. But if FM wanted to be "artists" at this stage, they could play larger theaters and other mid-sized venues instead of arenas, and do fan-friendly shows of deep cuts, early songs, new stuff, etc. But this just about going to work and printing money, basically.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Edmonton was bumped from November and now the final show.
    Calgary was bumped in November and now CANCELLED
    Winnipeg is a new city to the tour and likely replacing the Calgary date.

Sioux Falls South Dakota was bumped from October to February.

Several of these moves are related to ticket sales.

MikaelaArsenault and GoodKitty like this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Friggin' Canadians.... :):)

4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

:doh: Oops, I've gotta backpedal on that ..... as I forgot to check on the actual original FM bassist : Bob Brunning was a placeholder for a short time (and is in fact on the very earliest FM recordings) until John McVie finally decided to step away from his years-long gig with John Mayall and formally join up with Mick and Green.... And it turns out that Brunning was born 6-29-43, two weeks before Christine.
    Bob Brunning - Wikipedia

Forum night 2 : Fleetwood Mac Setlist at The Forum, Inglewood

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Billy_Sunday and mtvgeneration like this.
  5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Or they could vary the setlist even just a little bit, have a small batch of tunes that get played every other night or every 3rd night. Not that hard ! And make the show a couple songs longer ... maybe even make it an "intermission" show .

Did you read earlier how friggin' excited Chewy was to see "Tell Me All The Things You Do" in Tacoma ? Someone is coming to see those early pre-BN tunes ... Again, it was sad to see "Hypnotized" get dropped.... And hell, if I went a second night and the Split Enz tune popped up, I think I'd enjoy that. or "Storms". or "Isn't It Midnight" ....

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  6. walrus

I 100% agree. But they've rarely been a band that does that. It's just how some bands are. Like, I'm a huge Toto fan, and they have this massive catalog, really only 3 songs they have to do and some second-tier hits that they usually do, meaning probably half their set on any tour is an assortment of album tracks/deep cuts. But when they make a setlist for a tour, by and large they will stubbornly stick to it until the tour ends, even though there's really no reason they have to. McCartney is the same way, so were Genesis when they still existed...their setlists on a specific tour don't really change much, despite having immense catalogs and lots of fans who want to hear less obvious songs. I don't really get it, playing the same set every night drives me crazy, but I think it's perhaps a little bit of laziness and a little bit of perfectionism that combine into this end result.

Again, I just don't think Fleetwood Mac really cares about the guy who gets excited about "Tell Me All The Things You Do." Their arena shows are like the Stones or McCartney: built to please as many people as possible, not geared towards the diehard fans. I think there's a way to do both, but it requires more effort on the bands' part (and perhaps more compromising among band members) than they are willing to do.

7. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Even funnier, that both were released in late Fall of '79.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Yes, I do agree with 97% of what you've said ..... but if FM was really, I mean really, aiming for maximum mass-appeal... then they wouldn't be leaving out "Tusk", "Sara", "Over My Head", "As Long As You Follow", "Say You Will", "Seven Wonders" ...... and another Stevie-related Tom Petty song.
    Doing "Tell Me" and "Oh Well" (and "Hypnotized") really teases an alternate approach, acknowledging their long and deep history, that they then fail to really deliver on.

I will say though, that as skeptical as I was back when the tour started, I've grown resigned to the current situation and have actually really warmed up to it.... Gotta be grateful for what's still good about it all in (gulp) 2018 .... "I'm getting older too....♫"
    And a reunion with Lindsey feels inevitable as long as everyone's health remains good. If that happens then even Lindsey will be 70-something.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Maybe Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac are the same person! 'Dark Side of the Moon... Sisters of the Moon; Wish You Were Here... Wish You Were Here; Us and Them... You and I.' The same mature and congenial camaraderie that characterizes their interaction.

Think about it!

10. walrus

I don't think anyone really remembers "Say You Will" or "As Long As You Follow" at this point. (I like both songs, but I'm a huge fan and listen to deep cuts far more than any of the hits at this point). They were never, ever going to do "Tusk" without Lindsey, and I said in another post that I think "Sara" and "Gypsy" have such a similar vibe that doing both would be a little redundant. I thought "Stop Draggin'" would be a shoo-in, but I was wrong. Maybe Neil didn't feel comfortable singing Tom Petty, who knows.

I think there's a hard 22-song limit here, just like the Stones seem to have an 18-19 song limit. I'm a little surprised "Seven Wonders" isn't being played either, but I think it easily falls in that level of "second-tier" hits along with "Sara" and "Over My Head" and things like that, and maybe they just rotated it out since they did it on the last tour. (I mean second-tier as to their relative popularity now, the chart position 40+ years ago really doesn't matter).

11. Irish-Matti

The "music business" is a lot like the "US healthcare business;" with true fans being akin to patients.

Profits Before People - a very sad mantra, indeed

12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

It was 24 at the tour's beginning, then came down.
    I think most "big" current acts of FM's vintage end up providing 2 1/2 hours of music, sometimes with an intermission .... FM's delivering somewhat less than that, more like 2:10 .

13. walrus

Yeah, although you have to remove Mick's "World Turning" bit. So really about 2 hours of actual music. Still, these guys are 70-something, I think a two-hour show is fine. The singers only have to do 1/3 of the gig, but I know there's probably a limit to how much Mick can play the drums. I'm sure Charlie Watts is the reason Stones gigs top out at around 18-19 songs.

14. Irish-Matti

Maybe Mick could drop the boring drum solos. So old school.

15. walrus

That never should've been a thing in the first place. It's excruciating. He's one of my favorite grooving drummers, but his solos are mind-numbing.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Bring back the MIDI vest

MikaelaArsenault and painted8 like this.
  17. Irish-Matti

Oh God, please NO.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It seems to me that with certain exceptions, most bands from the 60’s and early 70’s come up with a setlist and, with minor changes from time to time, stick with it for an entire tour. Probably because that’s the way they always did it - the Beatles 65 tour or the Stones 72 tour or any other tour from that era - all featured static setlists. Later bands from the late 70’s on tend to mix things up a lot more

19. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I was just watching a 1980 or so Behind the Music Fleetwood Mac episode on youtube. Lindsey's sitting there yakking about how he didn't quit but was fired. Stephanie's sitting there saying "he was holding us up... we wanted to go on tour and he said no... so as far as I was concerned, that was it". Then Lindsey's sitting there chuckling "heh heh, I find it amusing they had to get two guitarists to replace me for the tour". Then Lindsey says, yeah, sure, I'd go back.... maybe when this all blows over etc etc.

About 5 minutes into the thing, I'm realizing the 1980 episode has miraculously jumped time and is now located in 2018 although the faces still look like from 1980. Mick does two or three "yeah, we made a mistake doing that tour".... leaving me trying to figure out if the episode is now simultaneously located in 1980, 2018, and 2020.

Psychedelic!

I had to stop for a sec to remember if I had taken an ambien before watching.

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

1980? Some of what you are saying they Talked about didn’t even happen until years after 1980

GoodKitty and Irish-Matti like this.
  21. Irish-Matti

Let's face it, Fleetwood Mac lives in the "Twilight Zone."

22. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

23. When Mick was doing the drum solo, it did remind me that a drum solo was a trademark of almost every local band in the 60’s.
    I did find it amusing to observe the younger folks at the concert during the solo either:

A. Getting into it
    B. Zoning out
    C.. Going to the concourse for more booze
    D. Firing up their “medicine devices. “

Loved the concert - only disappointment was having both Stevie and Mike Campbell on stage and NOT having them perform - “Stop Draggin’ My Heart ♥️ Around”. ( I’d place I in the encore as the Tom Petty tribute.

24. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Good call. Lemme redo the math. The BTM episode manages to capture 1987, 1988, 1997, 2018, and 2020 in one 20th-century filming. Amazing feat. Same story; only the faces grow older. That and the names of the sets of two temporary guitar players randomly change. I predict the next round (2038 tour) guitarists will be Joe Perry and Shawn Mendes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.