Flying Colors - True Colors release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ivand, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exciting news for fans of Flying Colors' self titled album and for those who hate brickwalled releases. The band has made available for download the original WAV files which, according to the FC's site, contain more details and dynamics.

Hope this becomes an industry trend.

2. Ivand

I bought this release today. While I haven't had the chace to compare it with the CD, I'm pleased with what I'm hearing.

I hope they also release the original master files of Second Nature, another great album.

3. mach128x

mach128x Forum Resident

Excellent news indeed. I wish there were more bands doing such releases.

Ivand likes this.
  4. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

I just recently found out about this release and figured I'd spring for it and see how it compared.
    [​IMG]

I guess it's better? Or at least it gets better as it goes along? I think it's strange that the promo video focuses on Kayla (track 3), while the comparison says that things didn't really get a lot different until track 4.

5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Kayla is probably the most accessible/catchy track on the album. Watching the video reminded me of what a great tune it is.

Stormrider77 and Ivand like this.
  6. mach128x

mach128x Forum Resident

I've owned this release for a while now.
    I find it's an excellent release.

The original wasn't that bad mastering-wise IMHO. However this new version really shines and definitely "feels" different : it breathes better with dynamics and subtle details get revealed from the mix.

Ivand likes this.
  7. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

So what do you guys think of Flying Colors. I listened to their second album "Second Nature" and I have to admit i did not like it. Very generic, kinda dull and pedestrian. There's something offputting in anything that involves Neal Morse.

8. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I prefer it to the debut and Neal Morse is an effin genius to my ears.

gja586 and Ivand like this.
  9. Adam Pajda

Yeah don't get me wrong, I love the guy but I have a feeling that for the last 20 years or so he is writing one and the same song all over again. Very very repetetive.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. Anachostic

You might like their first album more. On the first one, everyone was trying to get their two cents in and it seemed more aggressive and showboat-y. The second album everyone laid back more because they probably felt they'd all get a fair share of exposure.

I like Casey's voice better on the second album. I think Morse did more support work than lead work on the second.

Ivand likes this.
  11. Adam Pajda

Casey's alright, apart for the parts he sings in falsetto. That's just painful to listen to.

12. Adam Pajda

Oh and by the way, the third album is coming out this year.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  13. Ivand

New album coming up soon.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The Grand Experiment was little like anything that preceded it. The Neal Morse Band also share songwriting credits, as do Flying Colors so it's not all just the NM stamp.

ytserush likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I haven't heard the cd's but the bluray concert is great.
    Neal Morse boring? perhaps some stuff, but for me, certainly not Transatlantic or Flying Colors

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Neal Morse's music can be a little samey at time, but he is so prolific; it is impossible to reinvent the wheel each time out.

Looking forward to the new Flying Colors album, and hoping it is more like the first, which was catchy rock with occasional proggy moments. The second one went too heavy on the prog. Don't get me wrong, I love me some good prog rock, but there was a special vibe that they captured on the first record.

MikeVielhaber and Rufus rag like this.
  17. Adam Pajda

I think the whole concept of Flying Colors being a vehicle to try to write some pop/alternative music was lost on the second album and it is indeed to heavy on the prog side.

18. George Co-Stanza

Agreed. My thought was that the first didn't attract a wider audience that they had hoped it would, so, knowing that most of their fans are from the prog world, they went heavier on the prog to appease the fans. Or maybe Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy just can't help themselves when it comes to working together and progging it up. LOL

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I love them both and the live albums.
    I think the first one is more consistently good (I'd credit Peter Collins for that.) but on the second one the highs are higher and the lows are lower.
    Amazing stuff on the second one although I don't think it starts off very well.

I expect I'll like the third at least as much given who is involved. Already have my tickets for the show in the fall.

walrus, Ivand and Rufus rag like this.
  20. Ivand

New song/video released

21. Anachostic

Immediate order.

Love the video. They look like the backing band for Blue Man Group.

Ivand likes this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

I like the concept of the video, but all of those quick cuts nearly gave me headache, lol.

Decent tune. I sure hope the rest of the album is a lot better.

23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Wasn't planning on previewing this until it showed up in my mailbox, but I did watch it once.

Totally impressed. Not at all what I expected.

I expect to have a really fun time in September despite the fact that my Dream Theater show is the same night and will be missed unfortunately.

Loving the enthusiasm on this one. Knew I was going to like the new one, but this is beyond the first two albums. Hoping to be impressed by the rest of it.

Should probably just listen to it again without the video to make sure the shock of seeing influences what I'm hearing.

Kind of excited, actually.

George Co-Stanza, Rufus rag and Ivand like this.
  24. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I adore everything Neal does because I simply love prog, but I should admit that the beauty of this band is that it indulged more on poppish sounds and shorter songs which I thought was fun and refreshing. For the longest time I wasn't sure if I preferred the first or second album, they were extremely up to par like no other artist before, but after a couple of years passed I think I give the edge slightly to the first one only because two 12+ minute songs on the second album is a tad much and ultimately the last song doesn't end in the strongest note after all. I do admit that my favorite songs from the band are on the second album (The Fury Of My Love, Mask Machine, Bombs Away, Peaceful Harbor and A Place In Your World), but the first album is more consistently solid from start to finish. So whatever happens, the third album has a lot of competition, especially after hearing the first song which didn't impress me quite much but I like it.

George Co-Stanza, Ivand and gja586 like this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

I like most of the songs from the second album, but it feels like work to get through it sometimes. I do love songs like Peaceful Harbor, Mask Machine and The Fury of My Love. The first is just an easy, effortless listen. Even the couple songs I am not wild about sound just fine within the flow of the record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.