“FM” coming to blu-ray via Arrow Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot for WKRP In Cincinnati!

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

“American Hot Wax” made the rounds I think on Starz a dozen or so years ago. It’s interesting would love to see it on home video -

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Arrow Video aims at film buffs and they usually have high standards so I would assume all the music is on it

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements
    • Uncompressed stereo 2.0 PCM audio soundtrack
    • Mono 1.0 music and effects track
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • No Static at All, a newly filmed interview with Michael Brandon, the star of FM
    • Radio Chaos, a newly filmed interview with Ezra Sacks, the writer of FM
    • The Spirit of Radio, a newly filmed video appreciation of the era of FM radio and the FM soundtrack by the film and music critic Glenn Kenny
    • Extensive gallery of original stills, promotional images and soundtrack sleeves
    • Original trailers
    • Reversible sleeve featuring two original artwork options
    FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by writer and critic Paul Corupe

O Don Piano likes this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

It does look like a nice presentation.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

damn, no commentary

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for posting this, which made me go and order a copy of this! I'm very interested in watching the new interview with Michael Brandon, who as an actor in such a semi-turd plotted movie like this (someone mentioned the pilot for WKRP In Cincinnati, LOL, which I found as equally pure radio fantasy at it's worst), I actually found this actor pretty believable as an FM program director of that time. He stood for not wanting to allow the advertising to "own the quarter hours", but instead the music ..., ahhh, the good old days!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll buy it...: )

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Show creator Hugh Wilson swears that he had been working on the pilot script for several years before the movie FM came out. The show first aired in September of 1978, and the film came out in April of 1978. This is kind of like the situation where many people believed that Happy Days ripped off American Graffiti to make the TV show, but the truth was that the pilot for Happy Days was done in 1972 as a Love American Style segment. I think it's fair to say that the coincidence didn't hurt Ronny Howard's career any.

longdist01, jupiter8 and Myke like this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

thank god we won the war against those awful business men that only care about the money and not the music

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, now we just have tech goliaths that legislate via K street, have created a plutocracy absolving themselves of antitrust laws, and are now looking to replace private property such as movie, music and book collections with cloud services that are horrible for artists and consumers.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Capitol for Bob Seger, Arista for The Outlaws, Universal controlled them in 1978 ?

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And Steely Dan was courtesy of ABC Records. As was Jimmy Buffet.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Regarding Irving Azoff and his involvement with the soundtrack, as I mentioned earlier in this thread ....

When the Soundtrack Makes the Film

Make sure you read this in the link above:

Ironically, the man responsible for this assortment of stars isn't listed in the credits. Irving Azoff, manager of the Eagles, Steely Dan, Jimmy Buffett and Boz Scaggs, among others, put together the musical performers for the film, but then grew disgruntled at its distortion of the actualities of FM radio and withdrew his name. But the result of his persuasiveness and deal‐making abilities is a group of performers from nine different labels—none of them, oddly enough, on MCA, which issued the album.

14. Myke

Watched my Anchor Bay DVD last night. The 5.1 mix is definitely working throughout, kept my rear speakers lit up all throughout.

15. Myke

Good article, but they completely ignore what Dennis Hopper accomplished with Easy Rider, 9 years before.

Chris C likes this.
  16. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Also the only Steely Dan song to use strings.

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Through with Buzz is the first with strings, the only other one.

SteelyNJ and GregM like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, UMG now owns a lot of those labels today, and we're talking about a contemporary 2019 release. Things have changed in 40 years. The original soundtrack album did come out on MCA Records, and it's possible (but I don't know the details) that the licensing may be wrapped up between the theatrical release, the soundtrack, the TV rights, and the home video rights. But even the publishing on 35 songs would be horrific, I'm guessing north of $200K. The recording master rights would be equally high, and that's a lotta dough for a movie that made no money. Even if the negotiation was simple, I don't think it'd be a cheap movie to re-release. I can't see it costing less than $500K, and that's a lot more money than most small reissue video companies have to work with.

The studio exec I cited earlier in the American Hot Wax story (a movie that came out around the same time as FM) insisted that the home video music rights would cost "a couple of million dollars," and that was for 1950s/1960s songs. A lot of this happened because record labels were incensed that they had let three dozen songs for American Graffiti go for $100K, which was cheap even in 1973. Five or six years later, they weren't anxious to repeat that mistake, even though they made a ton of money on the soundtrack album. It's possible in today's more-realistic home video world, the corporations have scaled back their expectations on what music rights should cost, especially for a movie that's been hard to find for 40 years.

longdist01 and jupiter8 like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Never heard of this movie before.

20. Myke

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember seeing this in a theater alone. Place was maybe 1/4 full.
    One of the first movies that I remember thinking 'This is just bad. What am I doing here?"

The other thing I really remember was when I was telling guys in the dorm about it, one asked "who the **** is Tom Petty?":faint:

22. Myke

In 1978, that was how it was. I was 20, and remember when we did think he was a Punk artist, once we'd heard of him.

23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I did pay cash money to view this in a theatre.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I remember going to see this movie in a theater when I was in college. Didn't think much of the movie but really liked the soundtrack album.

25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

At least there's a connection to the MCU....Michael Brandon was in one of the Captain America movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.