FM Receiver Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Malina, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to set up this receiver that's probably 15 years old and I'm not tech savvy. It has an FM antenna that looks like the white one in the picture below and the input on the receiver says 75 ohms.

[​IMG]

I want to buy one of these, but I'm not sure if it's the same type of connection as the FM antenna pictured above.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/TERK-Omni-Directional-Indoor-FM-Antenna/dp/B00008NJEP

The instructions on the Amazon page are below with the two connection options. It looks to me like the black one is what I'm looking for. Thanks for any info.

[​IMG]

Easy Set Up

TERK FM radio antennas are easy to install and come with multiple connection options, depending on your tuner or receiver:

1) 75 Ohm Coaxial: use the slip-on coaxial connector on the FM lead.

2) 75 Ohm Push-Button Connection: use the included 75 Ohm matching transformer.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Based on the photos, you are good to go. The black connector appears to be the built-in connector on the Terk antenna - that's the same 75-ohm connector on the FM antenna that came with your receiver. The red connector in the photo is a 75-to-300-ohm adapter. This is included for use with older equipment that has only the dual screw-on type of connector.

Malina likes this.
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great, thanks!

4. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

If you live in a residence where you can get a roof top aerial, please do so. The signal will be much better.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The best FM antenna is a rotatable "Yagi" design (looks like a rooftop VHF TV antenna). They work as well inside as the do outside, so the attic is a good place for it.

6. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

I may be wrong but i believe your receiver has what is called a pal connector for the fm antenna.
    the white wire that came with it only attaches to the center conductor and does not touch the outer shield.
    you will need an adapter like this (the make straight ones as well)[​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

This is the gold std in reception.

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I hadn't thought of that possibility. Not sure based on the photo (and would be a little weird if the receiver is a U.S. model, no?) - but if so, I would definitely heed @paulieb00 's advice and at make sure before hooking it up.

9. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Hi,
    The reason I know this is, I had helped a friend hook up a US spec Pioneer home theater receiver (about 4 years ago) and couldn't figure out how the hook the coax up from an outdoor antenna. A quick trip to Radio Shack got us an adaptor as above and all worked perfectly. I too questioned a pal jack on a US spec unit. From what I have been told they are cheaper than f connectors and you just push them on- no threads.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is what I use.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.