Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Excellent tune. Love it.

timnor likes this.
  2. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

They were the last band I saw before the first lockdown; I love their attitude. They started the set with a new song, there was no interraction with the audience and no encore. The singer is quirkily enigmatic and it all reminded me rather of The Fall.

They're definitely my favourite band at the moment. Dogrel is the best debut I've heard in years and A Hero's Death, though less commercial, is also very good. I like these new songs on first listen and will get the new album as soon as it comes out.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Love them, love both the albums, the music, the attitude, the obvious smarts, and will also purchase the new one on release. Agree that it very much reminds me of The Fall without being slavish to their sound.

timnor, JRM and Great Face For Radio like this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

So ready for this album. Loved ‘hero’s death’ and the first two songs they’ve put from this have been stuck in my head. April 22 is a long ways

5. Hush

Title track from the new album out today.

Rave Lee Traviis and Choose Cats like this.
  6. Hush

New UK and Ireland dates announced today as well.

11/07 – Hull, UK @ Bonus Arena
    11/08 – Leeds, UK @ O2 Academy
    11/11 – Manchester, UK @ O2 Victoria Warehouse
    11/15 – Stockton, UK @ Globe
    11/17 – Glasgow, UK @ O2 Academy
    11/19 – Swansea, UK @ Swansea Arena
    11/21 – Birmingham, UK @ O2 Academy
    11/24 – London, UK @ Eventim Apollo
    11/28 – Edinburgh, UK @ O2 Academy
    11/30 – Dublin, IE @ Vicar Street
    12/03 – Galway, IE @ Leisureland
    12/05 – Limerick, IE @ Live At The Big Top
    12/06 – Derry, UK @ Millennium Forum
    12/07 – Belfast, UK @ Ulster Hall

Looks like Edinburgh for me again.

Cat People and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Hush

Another tune released today.

8. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

One listen and I think it’s great! They keep getting better and better…

Glad I snagged tickets to their Chicago date in May.

Davido, TexasBuck and timnor like this.
  9. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Sounds like another winner to me. IMHO, not many recent bands can match this opening 3 album run. I'm not sure how I'd rank "Skinty Fia" yet with the other 2 but very pleased after 2 listens.

Hush likes this.
  10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I am wondering if the 2 45 Lp is the best version to get.

11. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Just had my first proper listen and it's really good. Typical Fontaines to open the album with a six minute track with a Gaelic title.

CaptainFeedback1, Hush and TexasBuck like this.
  12. Alien Ache

That's the version I went with. It's spread over 2 LPs at 45 RPM with alternate cover art. Same as the A Hero's Death deluxe (minus the alt cover) which sounds really nice and is a great package overall. I don't have a standard version to compare it to and hear how much better it sounds though. FWIW, for Skinty Fia it appears both the single LP, 33 1/3 RPM version(s) and the deluxe 45 RPM version were all mastered by Christian Wright at Abbey Road.

jimhb likes this.
  13. Alien Ache

That opening track is a stunner.

14. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Just listened to the first half before work and I was pretty impressed. Love the opening track and loving the gothic vibes of some of the songs. I loved every single, so I'm hoping the second half of the album is just as strong.

Hush and TexasBuck like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Foking hell, just bought "skinty fia" together with the RSD Nick Cave Live album - both on red vinyl.

It's truly remarkable how well the artwork of "skinty fia" goes together with the sleeve of "Grinderman II". Right down to the gothic font. It's almost as if these two rooms were in the same building. Next to each other. Is this coincidence? Or a Nick Cave homage? I like this!

jimhb likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

When I returned to the record store I saw the double 45 and immediately fell in love with the alternate artwork. After playing the album thrice I got that as well. Really like the bands dark sound.

Alien Ache, Hush and jimhb like this.
  17. Neonbeam

That's exactly my impression. It's one of those bands where sound and atmosphere are at least as important as the songwriting. The final verdict isn't out yet but so far I like them and am interested in their future development. (I'm also one of those idiots who buy an album twice if they are being offered a double 45 version of it :crazy:)

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Stockton Globe is a good venue to play. It was built in 1913 and everyone played there in the early to mid 60s, with a lot of big names afterwards too. The Beatles were playing there on the day of JFK's assassination and played at least a couple of times. Anyway, like a lot a great venues, it was allowed to decline, becoming a bingo hall and then being neglected and disused for many years, deteriorating badly. It's been restored to it's prime at a very high cost and reopened again only last year, with its first concerts since the mighty Status Quo played there in the 70s. It's really pleasing that they're getting big and relevant bands like Fontaines DC. We get far too many tribute or past their prime acts here in Teesside, so I hope this is a sign of great things for the venue. The only drawback I've seen is that tickets for the Globe seem very expensive, even by today's standards. £62 for Adam Ant?! I love him and rarely miss him, but I couldn't do that. I suppose they have to make those restoration costs back somehow.

Hush likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

How was Hero’s Death on 45? I never grabbed they on vinyl, finally streaming the new one which sounds great too. Thinking of buying both on 2x45

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

To this day mine is sealed. The clear vinyl single disc sounds good though.

21. timnor

timnor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like @Neonbeam I was crazy enough to buy both versions of Hero’s Death ! I didn’t notice any significant audio improvement on the 45rpm version.
    I’m really interested to hear if this is the same for the new album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Hush

I got three versions of the new album. A download for my phone, and two vinyl versions. I’m off my head :laugh:

Loving the record so far, completely agree with posts above, that opening track is an absolute stunner. Definitely a darker album than the last two, and it’s all the better for it.

TexasBuck, timnor and Neonbeam like this.
  23. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Such a great band, can’t believe they’re already on album number three. Saw them live just before the plague and they were magnificent. They spoke my favourite gig words “We don’t do encores”.

24. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

best album of 2022 hands down

jimhb, timnor and thehatandbeard like this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's only April, things could get so much better.