Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

An integral part of any Wedding Present concert.

2. timnor

timnor Forum Resident Thread Starter

They played an encore this month in Zurich and at further shows on the tour so I don’t think they are a strict no encores band.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Man at C&A likes this.
  3. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

You are correct but i know when i struck gold. Same feeling as when i listened to the latest underground youth album

Neonbeam, Man at C&A and timnor like this.
  4. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Indeed.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

so bummed saturday's show was postponed. they said they'll reschedule it. praying it's still on a saturday. cant imagine getting to the beach any other day in the week :-(

6. timnor

So for those with both copies is 33 or 45 the way to go ? Any noticeable difference apart from the cover ?

porotikos likes this.
  7. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

After a few listens I think it's a good album but without the immediatacy and higher energy of their first two albums.

lothianlad likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Several streams in I have to say this is an excellent album. I also love the colour scheme of the artwork, red/ yellow with lots of shadows looks fascinating. (Just saw that Mute is right now rereleasing "Grinderman II" which I think is a hilarious coincidence and could lead to some creative record store shelf pairings :uhhuh:)

Since the red vinyl variant is already sold out - and about to be replaced with the black one - I bought another copy, wrapped it in red gift paper put one of those "skinty fia" buttons and stickers on top they are giving away at a local store and will be giving it as birthday present to a friend this Friday.

Also revisit "A Hero's Death" and it has held up really well. I guess I simply like the bands "Interpol meets Libertines" approach. Which absolutely is an over-simplification. :whistle:;)

Man at C&A, Hush and timnor like this.
  9. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Yes, that absolutely sucked. Fortunately, I was able to cancel my hotel reservation and was able to catch them last night. It was a truncated show---five less songs than their D.C. show. I'm guessing the band doesn't want to jeopardize any more of the tour so Grian takes it easier than he normally would. It was still a great show and I recommend catching them if you can. Much of the setlist comes from Dogrel and A Hero's Death---only three songs, of the thirteen song setlist, come from Skinty Fia.

10. Choose Cats

Choose Cats Forum Resident

This is amazing...

11. timnor

Bloody excellent!

Choose Cats likes this.
  12. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Another great show

13. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

not to look the gift horse in the mouth....but the Asbury Park resched is on a wed and at a bigger venue......kinda pissed

14. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Is anyone able to report on the current tour?

They're in Austin tomorrow and I think I should go, but don't know what to expect. ;-)

15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

saw them earlier in the year in DC and will again in Baltimore Oct. 3. They're wonderful, like a classic rock band in the modern day.

Davido likes this.
  16. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Definitely go. I'm saying this as someone who can't go because they're not coming anywhere near me :D. But I wouldn't pass it up if I could.

Davido likes this.
  17. timnor

I missed the announcement that the lead singer of Fontaines Grian Chatten is releasing a solo album “Chaos For The Fly”

Signed copies can be ordered here
    Grian Chatten

Rare moments of respite from a relentless touring schedule afforded Chatten the opportunity to start work on something for himself, occupying a completely different headspace from his hugely successful work within Fontaines D.C. Co-produced by the band’s longstanding producer Dan Carey, the album is arguably the most poetic we’ve heard from Chatten. Each song here has a sweep of colour and textures that breathe life into his lucid tales. Over its nine tracks, Chaos For The Fly is a record that takes in all of life’s rich emotions, transporting the listener to a place you not only want to visit, but will find yourself returning to again and again.

It's been a tremendous run for Fontaines D.C., debuting at number one in both the UK and Ireland with their third album, the critically acclaimed and Ivor Novello nominated Skinty Fia, and taking home the BRIT award for International Group of the Year. It followed 2020’s A Hero’s Death, which was nominated for Best Rock Album at the 2021 Grammys, and their debut, 2019’s Dogrel, which was nominated for both the Mercury Music Prize and Ireland’s Choice Music Prize.

18. timnor

19. timnor

Another track from the solo album

20. timnor

21. AustinArto

AustinArto Forum Resident

Grian's album is much more immediate and accessible than Skinty Fia, for me this is a confident, mature and sophisticated album which might have longer staying power than his band's work. This is an artist with excellent taste and musical sensibilities.

Lovely production and recording too.

georgespigott and timnor like this.
  22. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I initially had low expectations because I consider Fontaines DC to be extremely overrated, the amount of hype and media attention they receive just doesn't match the merit and joy of their music. However, Grian's album is a pleasant surprise. The arrangements are quite good and 1.5-note range of his voice doesn't bother me as much as in Fontaines music.

timnor likes this.
  23. Choose Cats

Choose Cats Forum Resident

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wow that would be four albums in a few years, really looking forward to this.

25. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I hope it’s a new album!