Foobar vs JRivers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mds, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

It does on ASIO and WASPI.

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Try a higher buffer time. Maybe it changed somehow with the new version.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  3. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I prefer jriver but there's one problem I cant seem to fix on it.
    I sometimes have to rearrange my columns by reselcting my preset.
    on foobar, it was set and forget.

Its a kind of love and hate relationship with jriver to be honest.

4. Caveman67

Caveman67 Member

I'm not sure about Foobar......but for me, when it came to pops and clicks within JRiver, I simply dropped the pre-amp slider within the EQ about 2db. Unfortunately, so many iTunes downloads these days are way to loud and distorted. iTunes never used to be like that. Some songs that I downloaded from them were as much as 5db too loud, causing peaking/clipping to happen. In Direct Sound via iTunes, this would come off as just pure unadulterated distortion. In WASAPI via JRiver, it's pops and clicks. Even a few of my 16bit ALAC CD rips appear to be clipping a bit in 1-2db range. It was a simple fix for me. 99% of songs I have imported so far seem to behave just fine with a 0db default on the pre-amp slider. I think the big offender iTunes songs are the few of the "today's" pop stuff I have. Bass boosted files and such, like Daft Punk's "RAM" songs, two Lady Gaga hits, etc. Seems like a whole generation of kids love their music slightly distorted. They want more and more bass at the expense of the clarity.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If decreasing the EQ by a few dB fixes the problem then that indicates that some sort of additional audio processing going on that is causing clipping. Maybe a bass boost?

I'm able to play bass heavy and brickwalled modern music without any clipping. I'm using WASAPI. I'm not doing any volume leveling or anything that increases or decreases the volume.

Make sure you aren't doing any processing on the music. That includes volume leveling and EQ. Go into DSP Studio and disable everything and see if you still have the problem.
    To open DSP Studio go to Player >> DSP Studio...

I also have clipping protection disabled in DSP Studio. In the lower-left of DSP Studio is a dropbox. I have it set to "Flat line overflows" which disables the clipping protection. Even with that set that way I don't hear any clipping that is not present in the CD.

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The best way to check if any additional processing is occurring is to play a dts track through the spdif or HDMI (if possible) and check if your getting music or static through a dts processor. I checked my otg setup on my phone and tablet and realized only the Onkyo player app is actually sending "bit perfect" audio data. It's nice having piece of mind during playback. Not going to help with brickwalled music but makes it easier to rule out your setup as the culprit.

7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Did you check for any driver updates?

8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Hi,

I increased the buffer time as some earlier suggested and update Meridian Driver from 1.67 to 1.68 and seems to be working fine now.

Thanks.

wolfram and Hymie the Robot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.