Food Network

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pocofan, Mar 8, 2023.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Love that show. Duff is ten times the baker Buddy is, and Val looks great for her age, and of course both are super nice as well.

2. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I'm currently loving Tournament of Champions right now. A lot of chef's I've never heard of, but the randomizer makes it interesting, and I love when Simon and Justin talk as well. The one show they should really stop making is Chopped. It was okay for awhile, but gets old quickly. Worst Cooks, Food Truck, triple D, triple G, and Beat Bobby Flay on the other hand have never gotten old to me.

3. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Opposites again. I like Ina. She explains everything. Read up on her hubby Jeffrey sometime. I was shocked. Certainly not what I expected. I’ll leave it at that.

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Ina Garten is great! :agree:

MikaelaArsenault and Big Blue like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I try to stay away from "cooking shows" as such. Though most of the stuff on TV is archived on YouTube or on the shows website.

TV audiences are pretty much predefined. More viewers want to watch reality shows than they do cooking shows.

The gladiator in the arena concept hasn't changed much over the past couple of thousand years. Today the arenas are deserted islands and kitchens.

I don't watch commercial TV for that reason. Most of what I watch on YouTube is more recipe related than any specific host.

Alton Brown has a lot of archived episodes of Good Eats.

pocofan likes this.
  6. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

I used to like the show Taste on Food Network. David Rosengarten I think was the chef mc name. I watched it mid 90's. Think it didn't last too long. He wasn't much of a dynamic personality, maybe that was why.

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I still like Chopped, because as a competition I feel like it's the most pure and simple: it's a one-shot deal, with chefs who you've never heard of (unless maybe they're from your town and you know the restaurant), without gimmicks, and the FN personalities aren't there to "be" personalities, but just to host the show and politely judge.

It's all the other cooking competition shows that I've fully tired of. It's just played out, at this point.

On the point of FN in particular - one of its disadvantages is that it's both entertainment and information, and it takes a long time for the information to become dated, if ever. So if the audience watches cooking shows and learns how to make a variety of things that they want to make, they don't need multiple personalities making the same or similar things. So the network really needs star personalities/celebrity chefs and competition shows to keep the audience around, because it's original content that isn't as shelf-stable as the recipe/cooking shows.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Big Blue likes this.
  8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Absolutely and now he is putting his son in all his shows, and this kid has no 0n screen talent at all.

pocofan and Scott57 like this.
  9. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I personally like Hunter Fieri but I guess that's just me. One person I am sick of though is Robert Irvine. He wasn't bad on Dinner Impossible when he used to actually cook, but on Restaurant Impossible he's essentially a counselor/psychologist/interior designer/clean freak. So he's lost all appeal to me now.

10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I used to watch Food Network a lot. Stopped a few years ago as it seemed it was showing too many competition shows and that’s not for me. I like the Cooking Channel more but I’m on a cable package right now that doesn’t offer it. I’m going to streaming soon so I’ll probably get that back at some point.

SandAndGlass, Scott57 and Spitfire like this.
  11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I used to watch it a lot in the old days. Not the same anymore

SandAndGlass and Scott57 like this.
  12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Been enjoying Ciao House so far.

13. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Used to watch it a lot back when it first started broadcasting It's unfortunate that it's kind of become a parody of it's former self I miss the days of Emeril, and Alton browns Good eats, Jamie Oliver, Anthony Bourdain (RIP)

brownie61, Scott57 and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

Following in the footsteps of MTV...

PTgraphics and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  15. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Uh...huh

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I've never understood all this love for Alton Brown. Talk about an annoying know-it-all.

kouzie likes this.
  17. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Check out The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. By far the best baking show on tv. And I don’t even bake.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  18. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I haven't had basic cable since about 2016 and I was sick of Guy Fieri even then.

19. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

That show gets annoying with all the soggy bottoms and such. Kid's baking is a lot more fun and doesn't have any soggy bottom talk.

20. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I haven't watched The Food Network for many years- too many competitions. Taste was one of the best shows they ever produced. David Rosengarten actually taught people about food.

brownie61 likes this.
  21. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I watched FN quite a long time ago, when it had a steady stream of 1/2-hour to 1-hour cooking shows on starting mid/late afternoon into early prime time. These were concise, fun instructional shows with few gimmicks and no "extreme food" nonsense ('Iron Chef' came a bit later). Mario Batale, Sarah Moulton, Gia and others, usually ending with Emeril Lagasse around 8 PM or so, if I remember right.

Now I do the occasional "Pati's Kitchen" or "Lidia", but my real favorite is Jacques Pepin (and Julia, of course...)

C.

22. SandAndGlass

Call him a know-it-all. But Alton is one of the most scientifically educated among the TV / YouTube chef's.

BeatleJWOL and joeconn4 like this.
  23. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

He may be smart, but he's also boring as hell, sort of like a college professor giving a lecture. Guess I just prefer my chef's to be more hands on when they cook, not constantly blabbing away.
    Might explain why I love chef's like Bobby Flay or Guy Fieri but can't stand people like Alton or Ina. Though old-school chef's like Wolfgang Puck and Emeril I still find fascinating.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Happy day…another thread of hate instead of actual discussion.

lv70smusic likes this.
  25. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I love watching the food network. Guy's grocery games, triple D, kid's baking, worst cook's, beat Bobby Flay, most shows on the food network I love. There are just certain chef's I can't stand. Most of the chef's on food network are great. There's just certain people that aren't in my opinion. But overall my opinion of food network is generally much more positive than most people on here.