For AOR Fans, Opinions On Classic ROCK Mag's All-Time Top Fifty AOR Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by carlwm, Jan 23, 2023.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident Thread Starter

We're using the European definition of the term AOR here rather than the broader American one, and if you're not a fan of the style, that's fab but there's really no need to let us know, just move along to a thread that's more suited to you.

Obviously, however, if you like the music in general terms, but aren't sold on a particular album then give it both barrels. I'm really keen to find out what's popular and what's not, among fans. Equally, what's missing? I know a bunch of my faves are. I'll be sharing my personal list later in the thread and would love to read yours, too!

I'll probably adopt an album-by-album approach after any initial discussion to look at them all in a little more depth. Anyway, that's enough jibber-jabber. Here's the list:

50. Alexa -S/T (1989)
    49. Eric Martin - S/T (1985)
    48. The Storm - S/T (1991)
    47. Cher - S/T (1987)
    46. Drive She Said - S/T (1989)
    45. Lou Gramm - Ready Or Not (1987)
    44. Pat Benatar - Seven The Hard Way (1985)
    43. Joe Lynn Turner - Rescue You (1985)
    42. Icon - Night Of The Crime (1985)
    41. Asia - S/T (1982)

40. Aviator - S/T (1986)
    39. Night Ranger - Midnight Madness (1983)
    38. Tyketto - Don't Come Easy (1991)
    37. Valentine - S/T (1990)
    36. Bad English - S/T (1989)
    35. Heart - S/T (1985)
    34. LeRoux - So Fired Up (1983)
    33. Balance - In For The Count (1981)
    32. Unruly Child - S/T (1992)
    31. Jefferson Starship - Freedom At Point Zero (1979)

30. Survivor - When Seconds Count (1986)
    29. Loverboy - Get Lucky (1981)
    28. White Sister - Fashion By Passion (1986)
    27. Giant - Last Of The Runaways (1989)
    26. John Waite - No Brakes (1984)
    25. Styx - Paradise Theatre (1981)
    24. Foreigner - Agent Provocateur (1984)
    23. Strangeways - Native Sons (1987)
    22. Boston - Third Stage (1986)
    21. Dare - Out Of The Silence (1988)

20. Richard Marx - S/T (1987)
    19. Diving For Pearls - S/T (1989)
    18. Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger (1982)
    17. Michael Bolton - S/T (1983)
    16. FM - Indiscreet (1986)
    15. Steve Perry - Street Talk (1984)
    14. New England - S/T (1979)
    13. Toto - S/T (1978)
    12. Foreigner - S/T (1977)
    11. Mr Mister - Welcome To The Real World (1985)

10. REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity (1978)
    9. Michael Bolton - Everybody's Crazy (1985)
    8. Journey - Raised On Radio (1986)
    7. Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol (1982)
    6. Toto- IV (1982)
    5. Journey - Frontiers (1983)
    4. Survivor - Vital Signs (1984)
    3. Foreigner - 4 (1981)
    2. Boston - S/T (1976)
    1. Journey - Escape (1981)

2. carlwm

Re the above, please note the typo: Hi Infidelity came out in 1980 not 1978.

That apart, first thoughts:

It's a strong but flawed list which sticks to a rather narrow time-frame, starting in '76 and going no further than 1992. While that may cover the genre's glory years, there are surely some later albums that deserve to be part of the discussion. It also very US oriented with just a smattering of releases from the UK & Canada and nothing from elsewhere, missing out on a lot of fine albums in the process. There are certainly a bunch up there that I would happily replace.

3. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I never thought Frontiers was better than Infinity and Evolution. I'm sure a Rush album like Moving Pictures or even Permanent Waves would fit into this list. The first Toto album I would agree with and even make a case for Hydra, but that first album really is a gem. The first and second Heart albums do more for me than the one listed, so yes they just aren't going back to the real beginnings of AOR enough for me. Certainly a list that has a few albums I'd like to hear, (Cher). My listening in the eighties was more Echo and the Bunnymen, REM, Talk Talk, etc.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Seems like the debut by Alias should be on there.

daltieri, altaeria, oceanvibe and 2 others like this.
  5. carlwm

The list breaks down like this, for me:

Own: 36
    Heard but don't own: 7
    Don't know: 7

Albums that currently score these ratings:
    Excellent (5/5): 14
    Very Good (4/5): 16
    Decent (3/5): 7
    Mediocre (2/5): 3
    Poor (1/5): 3
    N/A: 7

Be interesting - at least for me - to see how constant these stay as I listen my way through them all again.

6. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

boston eponymous is the only album i saw that i plan to voluntarily listen to for the rest of my life

and i don't foresee being inflicted with many others

Rich C, phillyal1, klockwerk and 26 others like this.
  7. carlwm

Is that the Sheriff/Heart hybrid? Not heard it though I know it's got a strong reputation. I'll see of I can find it.

Rocketdog likes this.
  8. carlwm

Feel free to not darken our doors again. :righton:

9. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

enjoy your Cher and Loverboy and Journey

as the OG, what is the incredibly iconic music in this list?

besides Boston's debut album..

Rich C, sami, Kundalini and 2 others like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think this was their hit but the whole album is more than power ballads.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Interesting list. I'm surprised that I haven't heard many of the albums near the bottom of the list, but I'm not really aware of the differences between EU AOR and US AOR.

Quibbles: I'd put Boston over Escape as #1, and I'd put the first Foreigner albums over 4. Maybe 4 sold more copies but Foreigner's debut was so groundbreaking. Yes, you heard that: groundbreaking. Next to the first Boston album it was the essential AOR album. Escape is arguably the quintessential AOR album.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Go away and never darken our towels again." :laugh:

Stencil, Rich C, Comet01 and 2 others like this.
  13. carlwm

Please refer to post 14.

14. carlwm

As far as Journey goes, I agree with your point. Infinity & Evolution are fine albums and I'd certainly swap them for Raised On Radio and maybe even Escape. With you on Toto, too.

15. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

I think it's more complex when you try and blend the '70s alongside the '80s, as to my ears at least, they are often very different sounds, with the more AAA era (Fleetwood Mac's The Chain off Rumours for example) vs the cleaned up digital 1980s sound often with synths in as well. I mean, why Toto '78, when you could feature Toto '84, with tracks like Angel Don't Cry? ;)

Frederikson I would say one of the all time great AOR singers, easily on a par with Perry but woefully underused:

Got the Aviator CD on in the car at the moment - the track Can't Stop is pretty much perfect, all the ingredients coming together into a tremendous rush of musical energy and foot tapping flow.

16. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

MGM and carlwm like this.
  17. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

- not sure if they are considered AOR , but big albums like Bryan Adams' Reckless or Bon Jovi's Slippery when wet are conspicuous in their absence

18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I’m struck by three things about this list. The large number of bands/albums I’ve never heard of, the large number of self-titled albums to make the list, and Journey holding 3 spots in the top 10.

19. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

A bunch on the list that I've not heard. I could never even fathom really making a top 50 list of anything I like, so I definitely wouldn't attempt to poke holes in this one.

I will say, I'd probably put Survivor's Vital Signs at # 1 though.

The Storm, Aviator, Tyketto, Valentine, Unruly Child, Heart, White Sister, Dare, Giant, Lou Gramm--love these albums. Those early Michael Bolton albums, golden.

Interestingly, I'd say the more well known albums (to the average pop music radio person at least) are the ones I'm least familiar with. Richard Marx, Cher, Boston, Eric Martin, Toto, Jefferson Starship, Mr. Mister---these are the albums I've heard the least from. Whatever singles that still get played on 80s radio is probably what I'm familiar with from them.

Maybe I'll pull some of these up on Spotify later.

20. carlwm

I didn't ask for your opinion. Even the thread title mentions that this is for fans of the genre, which you are clearly not.

There is a fantastic discussion to be had by people who enjoy this music. We've already started to discuss bands that have been left out, bands that don't deserve their place and bands that have possibly had the wrong album chosen. It's shaping up to be a fascinating debate. It not for you and that fine but you're wasting everybody's time - including your own - with your snide and ill mannered interventions.

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Such a difficult genre to pin down. Own 5, but have the idea I own many cd's that could be classed as AOR as well. I mean GTR, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, 80s Yes or are these to intelligent to be classed as AOR?

Reckoner, Carlos B and carlwm like this.
  22. carlwm

I've always thought Escape was a slightly flawed album. To me it feels like a peerless six track AOR EP, with four perfectly well executed harder rocking tracks that are not quire the right fit.

I agree with you about the Foreigner albums. I'd put both the debut and Agent Provocateur above 4 although I like them all well enough.

OptimisticGoat and dkmonroe like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Lol, you guys are too funny.

"codswallop" :laugh:

carlwm likes this.
  24. carlwm

I think you could argue GTR, Supertramp & some Eighties Yes might fit. Maybe the Michael McDonald years with The Doobies, too? I don't know enough about Steely Dan.

25. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

What's the difference between European and American AOR?

edit: and the OP made it clear he was asking for opinions on the list, not the genre as a whole