For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I'll need to pick this up. Thanks

Marzz likes this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I need to get the new cd. I wanted the special edition available only at the Cracker Barrel but it was sold out when I stopped there. I did get the dvd though.

3. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Dale Watson's three volumes of trucking sessions are now available in one collection. I know what you mean about trucking songs however I would highly recommend this set, some of my favourite Dale songs are here and often the connection to 'the road' is fairly tenuous. Dale Watson is one of the few current country singers I really rate, if you (as in one) haven't checked him he's well worth a look, brilliant live too, and he plays live all the time, sometimes twice a day.

Mr. H, Marzz and Nice Marmot like this.
  5. dryce

dryce Forum Resident

If you're a Patty Loveless fan, her album Mountain Soul is wonderful. The track "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" is among my favorite versions of the song.

6. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

It's a great book. The stories of their father's cruelty to Ira in particular have really stuck in my mind.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs - Sony Legacy

[​IMG]

I think this just might be the greatest country "album" ever. The country genre was very slow to become an "albums" genre, and this is just absolutely stunning. It's got Marty's incredible vocals, It's got backing vocals from the Glaser brothers. It's got that fantastic Spanish flavored guitar by Grady Martin.

The selection of classics is fantastic, and you have Marty's self-penned "El Paso" and "Big Iron".

Man does this album set a mood.

RSteven, wareagle69, Mr. H and 8 others like this.
  8. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I think you just turned me on to Dale Watson. I am listening to album samples and they are very cool.

9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Listened to most of these tracks on You Tube and am ordering the CD. What a nice voice he has. Thanks for the tip!

Marzz likes this.
  10. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

This is the first album I ever bought. You are right on target. Just a great album in every way.

11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I liked the look of this so I've just ordered it as a twofer with More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs. :righton:

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Great choice with 'gunfighter ballads' providing it is on CBS/Columbia/Sony. My concern is your purchase with 'More Gunfighter Ballads..'
    is this a legit label release? otherwise the sound quality may be disappointing. Something to check out.
    Great era for Marty thou.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  13. OneStepBeyond

Yes, I do see some twofers that are look the part but upon further investigation, are boots or grey market 'releases' and have then left it at that. :) This is a Columbia/Sony edition from 1996. I think that's it's possible that it won't be the best mastering but as I've paid a little over £2 for it (used) I'm sure it will be alright - especially having the two albums - and if I feel the need to upgrade it than can always go for the single album on Legacy, which still is inexpensive. I thought that it might be mastered by Vic Anesini but can't find it stated anywhere although he did do the LP that was released a couple of months back. That sounds tempting! :cool:

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I have the 1999 'American milestones' Cd with the 3 bonus tracks. It sounds amazing! and it's in stereo which is so clean and crisp.
    wonderfully recorded and mastered. Can also be picked up quite cheaply now.
    Hope ya get a nice copy of this super fine album. Would be glad to hear how the 1996 sounds in comparison. Good to hear it's a
    Columbia/Sony and not a cheap 'hallmark' type Cd.

OneStepBeyond and Marzz like this.
  15. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Your welcome Rob! I was so glad when Omni finally released this as a CD. On the initial copies they put a sticker on the front claiming ..."like Scott Walker having a Bad Trip in Nashville" :laugh:.
    True or not, how could I not buy it!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    rob68 likes this.
  16. Luke The Drifter

The Sony Legacy sounds the best, and the first album is far superior to the "More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs". But you are getting a bunch of great songs for next to nothing in good sound quality. Enjoy!

17. OneStepBeyond

Hallmark, yes. I see these time and time again on Amazon and thought that it's kind of them to warn us by putting the legend Original Recording on the front artwork. Only, it seems that they have stopped doing this now. I did have the misfortune to pick up one on this 'label' and it is a truly dire transfer from a heavily worn LP.

I don't know if mine is going to be mono or stereo and to be honest, assumed it was only released in mono so I am now very likely to look for it also in the other format. I usually like to have albums in both, wherever available. Can't wait to hear this now... both albums that are in the one package. :righton:

18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

The 15-track reissue of Gunfighter Ballads features an additional "full-length" version of "El Paso" which runs about 20 seconds longer. Anyone know how exactly it differs from the LP version?

19. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'd fully agree. His s/t debut lp is still my favorite. Sundazed did a great job with this series.

Marzz likes this.
  20. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I have that box also. It seems that many of the records from Capitol Records in that era sound good.

21. Luke The Drifter

The full length El Paso is in Mono. No stereo version exists of it.

The stereo version is shortened by removing the verse right after he shoots the cowboy in Rosa's cantina.

Just for a moment I stood there in silence
    Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done
    Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there
    I had but one chance and that was to run

So the stereo goes like this:

So in anger I
    Challenged his right for the love of this maiden
    Down went his hand for the gun that he wore
    My challenge was answered in less than a heartbeat
    The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor

[missing verse]

Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran
    Out where the horses were tied
    I caught a good one, it looked like it could run
    Up on its back and away I did ride

In the context of the album, I don't like switching to one mono song, so I just leave the stereo.

22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Hag the best of Merle Haggard from 2006

Exile On My Street likes this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I think I've got these tracks at least 3 or 4 times but I saw The Light In The Attic reissue in a record shop in that London and was lured again by that cover.

[​IMG]

Mr. H, melstapler and Marzz like this.
  24. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I love weird stuff like that. Also ordered the Rubber Room comp cause I need a little CRAZY right now.

Marzz likes this.
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely Billy Mize. There is an excellent compilation focusing on full band live recordings from his time on the Melody Ranch Show. The recent documentary tells a very interesting story about Billy Mize, who I believe is the true king of Bakersfield by all standards.

Marzz and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.