For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Billy Mize on Merle Haggard

Marzz and Exile On My Street like this.
  2. melstapler

[​IMG]
    Billy Mize - a truly classy country artist. No camo or baseball caps here.

Marzz, The Killer and zebop like this.
  3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

He's a new one on me, CD ordered.

melstapler likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I recognize the name from some songwriting credits like "Who Will Buy the Wine", but haven't heard him before. I'll check him out, thanks.

Speaking of the aforementioned song, I tracked this CD down a week or two ago:

[​IMG]

Having listened to it I realize I may as well have gone right for his Bear Family box. Aside from all the great Ray Pricey honkty-tonk numbers, he does a version of "Honky Tonk Women" that rocks just as hard as The Stones'.

McLover, dalem5467, jonathan and 4 others like this.
  5. melstapler

Great choice. Charlie Walker is excellent. Love the artwork on this CD, which was re-worked from one of his LPs.

This introductory compilation is enjoyable and you're absolutely correct regarding the Bear Family 5CD box set by Charlie entitled "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down," which is solid from start to finish and includes Charlie's live album. Aside from his performing and recording, Charlie was a well-known country and western disc jockey in San Antonio. I believe the later part of his life was spent in the Nashville area, where he remained an active participant with the Grand Ole Opry.

McLover, The Killer and Marzz like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

not forgetting the great Harlan Howard, featuring Waylon Jennings on Electric Guitar and background vocals.
    Great Album

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

anyone who knows who Harlan Howard is. check out his album. 'all time favourite songwriter'.
    [​IMG]

jonathan, dalem5467, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Billy Mize had a prettier voice than a lot of his releases show..

florandia, Marzz and melstapler like this.
  9. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

I bought that set a few months ago. I love the early recordings, I just can't handle the the piano on the later ones. Whoever thought that was a good idea ruined a lot of awesome songs. I get angry listening to what they did to Close All The Honky Tonks, it could have been a masterpiece.

McLover likes this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

On RSD last weekend I picked up a new Light In The Attic...Louvin Brothers,Tragic Songs Of Life. I have two original Capitols but in pretty rough shape so this is a cool upgrade and a nice companion to Satan Is Real from LITA which I got last year.

Yesterday I got all excited as I was flipping thru some poorly organized bins of used stuff at an antique mall and came across 6 Louvin Brothers Capitol LP's 5 of which I didn't have and have never come across in the wild including the Delmore Brothers and Roy Acuff songs. The prices were right $5-10 but then my elation turned to deflation as I took each one from it's cover there were deep scratches,dirt,etc.. some of the worst looking beat up vinyl you'd ever run across,totally unplayable,I just about had a melt down. I'd be embarrassed to ask $1 for these. The covers weren't even that great but better than the records. I see this idiocy in antique places all the time. No idea about condition and then have the nerve to put a ridiculous price on them sometimes putting stickers right on the vinyl or label.

Marzz likes this.
  11. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I'm not really a country music collector, but I just recently (finally!) got a used copy of Bear Family's The One Rose by Rose Maddox, and The Louvin Brothers' Classic Album Collection. (I only had three of their Capitol releases on CD, and some of the When I Stop Dreaming compilation, and life's too short not to have as much Louvin Brothers as possible!)

Marzz, The Killer and Fender Relic like this.
  12. All of Holly Dunn's studio albums
    Lee Hazlewood's latest LITA releases
    Connie Smith's two most recent studio albums and both Bear Family box sets
    and Sundazed's mono vinyl edition of The International Submarine Band's Safe at Home.

Marzz and melstapler like this.
  13. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Mystery of Life by Johnny Cash - on Tidal.

It's not a bad album, and some of the tracks could've been stripped back somewhat. Just imagine what Rick Rubin would've done with Goin' By The Book, or Beans For Breakfast.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I got the DVD as part of Walmart's exclusive edition CD (I hate when stores do this because I believe everyone should be able to get everything!). As for the Cracker Barrel edition, I suggest you call around to different C.B. restaurants & ask friends & family to check in their locations. I have that too & it's nice. I recently found out on their website that Joey released a solo album before sh got together with Rory. It's amazing! Here's a link: Joey Martin "Strong Enough To Cry" CD » Now I'm hoping they have some tunes in the vault & I'm also hoping they can put out a collection of songs they performed live but didn't include on an album. Check this out: & you'll see why.

15. dryce

dryce Forum Resident

She had such a wonderful voice. It's a shame she's passed. They were one of my favorites. I do hope there may be more material as well. They had some great live performances.

clhboa and Hutch like this.
  16. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

You are so right! Did you get their CD "Album #2"? If not, get it or order it from Walmart. It has an exclusive bonus track "Buy Our CD".

dryce likes this.
  17. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Picked up a nice original record of Devil Woman by Marty Robbins.

melstapler likes this.
  18. melstapler

Well said. This is evident on Billy's album "A Salute To Swing." Apparently, it was Merle Haggard who helped Billy to finish this album after his stroke. Merle released it to CD on his own label. Adding to the authenticity of this recording, it actually features members of the Texas playboys.

♫ A Salute to Swing - Billy Mize. Listen @cdbaby »

Marzz likes this.
  19. melstapler

[​IMG]
    The next Billy Mize CD I highly recommend would be the album "Make It Rain," which is sold through his official documentary website. The disc includes several previously unreleased tracks, which never made it to vinyl, cassette or CD for that matter.

Billy Mize: Make It Rain CD »

Marzz and The Killer like this.
  20. You must've missed my thread complaining about the lack of country studio albums on CD and my one about Nudie suits. :D

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Get his Warner Bros. best of CD and the Collector's Choice Music CD of Ridin' High as well.

Marzz, melstapler and rob68 like this.
  22. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Has anyone bought the Don Rich Sings George Jones CD from Omnivore?

If so, do you recommend it?

Listening to sound samples I'm sort of on the fence...

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

Yes, I have that CD and your gut feeling is correct. Although it's not terrible, it seems more unnecessary than anything else. Probably not something I plan to listen to again. The Don Rich compilation on Sundazed is far more enjoyable.

When you consider how many quality studio recordings of Buck Owens remain unreleased, Omnivore really missed the boat by spending money to put this disc out instead.

The Killer likes this.
  24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Agree completely with @melstapler, it's OK but it's never going to make your regular round. If you want one disc, Country Pickin' is the way to go.

melstapler likes this.
  25. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I'm not a country fan.
    But I did buy this album, I thought it was really good.

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.