For Criterion Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

For those of you that buy Criterion & don't know, there are entertaining sources to help you compile your wish list & shopping list for these great movies. "Movie Chatter" is my favorite. Stephanie is great to watch & listen to as she shows us her latest Blu-Ray purchases from Criterion & other studios. Definitely check her out. I watched two of her episodes & subscribed to her channel. Yes, she is that good!

Another Source is "The Criterion Closet". This is where famous people shop in the closet & give their insights & opinions. Here's a sample ("Aubrey Plaza & Jeff Baena's Closet Picks")
    https://youtu.be/b78bW2EoXeM

"Criterion Closet" is great but I really like "Movie Chatter" because more titles are covered. After watching Stephanie, do a YouTube search for "Criterion Haul" & check some others out too. Let us know your favorites. Thank you!

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This looks like a very tempting video series. Which I probably should avoid like the plague! :laugh: I'm bad enough with comics and music, to bulge and overflow yet another shelf wall in the house!

Criterions are addictive, I think: many people get so obsessed with having "the good versions" in their house, they never have the time to really absorb them and enjoy the extras (or, half of what's gathering "dust" on their DVR's, for that matter)!

But I can relate, having visited the shelves at Barnes & NoGood for hours, mentally stocking my media room with "crucial" stuff I'm never gonna get my wife to sit down and watch all the way through, knowing she's got other lite entertainment she wants to binge through.

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

I like to see it this way. When someone wants a classic in their library, they want the best possible version so they won't have to upgrade later. Criterion provides that. My opinion.

Bluesman Mark, longdist01 and Jrr like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Of course everybody has that opinion. Even I have that opinion. I also have a dusty shelf of the right versions I never get around to seeing. That's the addiction, I fear.

5. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

This series does look good. Thanks!

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I tried decades ago to build up a sequential collection. No luck. lol

That being said, some of the very best versions of essential cinema are the Criterions.

7. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Good ep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.