For The Byrds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 18, 2022.

1. barkingdog95

barkingdog95 Member

The Byrds’ first six albums are all essential & cornerstone rock canon releases, it seems their lack of rocking out miffs many Garage-obsessed rock listeners of today. They get stuck by the initial/apparent quaintness. Also, it may be somehow - I guess this to be all about the album cover appearances - true that their hip cache won’t equal The Kinks (whose lps look great on the “vintage goods” wall), or, inversely, that of The Beach Boys (as they say, when you’re that unhip, you’re permanently hip)….

The CD age imho helped the Byrds. For example, the Younger than Yesterday cd helps the listening xperiment by adding, along with the original Lp’s great songs (“So….,” “My Back Pages,” “Everybody’s Been Burned”), one other great Crosby song (“Lady Friend”), and one more melodically haunting Crosby song (“It Happens Each Day”), plus a nifty organ-overdubbed version of “My Back Pages”. The Notorious Lp release’s biggest flaw is it short-length, this has likewise been addressed. Things deteriorate after ‘68, but still for The Ballad of Easy Rider Lp et. al. it may be quite enuff for bringing envy and likes among the average Country r’n’r act.

2. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

The CD age helped, true, but also added confusion by including tracks that had been overdubbed in the 1980s, "It Happens Each Day" being one. The organ on "My Back Pages" I think was there on the original - what the bonus track version has is McGuinn's guitar solo going through a Leslie speaker. It's great, if too high in the mix for my liking. But I'm an old fuss-pot. The uncertainty about which tracks were overdubbed during the Never Before and first box set period continues to worry me...

Oatsy and Clarkophile like this.
  3. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

I concur. For me Easy Rider is a far more enjoyable album than Sweetheart which i find rather square and boring. Nice, yes. But Easy Rider is more mature, funkier, way more soulful and has better instrumentation for me since i prefer the rock musicians of the day to the nashville cats.

Ma Kelly and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Same argument with fans of the band Love. A lot of fans don’t dig the band after the original guys were all gone leaving only Arthur (just like Roger) to continue the band. Later Love albums are like later Byrds albums a lot funkier, heavier and they were a much better live band too. Very similar story. I love all Byrds and all Love and never distinguished any dividing line before internet debate.

beccabear67, Hootsmon and sami like this.
  5. sami

sami Mono still rules

To some degree the same can be said for Spirit. After the four classic records the band splintered, but Randy and Ed carried on and produced some great stuff like the brilliant Spirit of '76, which I love just as much as any of the 'core four'.

beccabear67, Hootsmon and Oatsy like this.
  6. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

What a huge deal this was when it came out! There wasn’t near the amount of archival releases that the compact disc would bring out. And at the time i was mad for the Byrds. At the time i was living in Lake Louise a tourist mountain town and only having cassettes. But i went and bought this LP and went and sat by the Bow River and opened it like a ceremony. And it came with a poster! Where else could one find a Byrds poster! Okay it didn’t contain Flower Bomb Song. And thankfully i previously found Ladyfriend on the Original Singles Vol 2 and didn’t have to wait for this murderous version with 80s hamfisted drums replacing Mike Clarke! Sacrilige!

Mr. D, Ewan7, Alien Reg and 1 other person like this.
  7. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

And if the next Byrds album was Greatest Hits Volume Two that would mess up yer mind. What a hodge-podge!

sami likes this.
  8. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Interesting to read this. I was a massive Croz fan after i discovered the Byrds. I thought his songs were super cool. I See You, What’s Happening, Everybody’s Been Burned and of course his contribution to one of the greatest rock songs ever 8 Miles High. I thought Ladyfriend was brilliant! And his songs on Notorious are stunning! And his debut solo album is freaking great! But reading how he basically gloated his bloated CSN/Y success any chance he could was distasteful. And he never did anything great again after 1971 if you ask me. But he sure acted like gods gift to rock for a long while after. I enjoyed his later years cranky stoner twitter period. After years of him hiding away from fans he was suddenly engaging like crazy with us great unwashed. I had a few exchanges with him in fact (McGuinn too). I asked him what he thought of Thin White Rope’s version of Everybody’s Been Burned and of course he didn’t like it (i think it totally catches the original vibe). Anyway, my Croz completist days are long faded and i have no music of his past If I Could Only Remember My Name. In his later years he fully admitted he was a jerk to work with in the early years. The documentary about him is good. I still have to love the guy.

Lost In The Flood, Ewan7 and sami like this.
  9. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Yeah he came across like some kind of king. Funny when RS went to interview Stephen Stills in England a little bit later he expressed he wanted his cover photo to be him on his horse. They told him he wasn’t the cover story. OUCH

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  10. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

I’m curious about the later Japanese CD pressings of Notorious. You mention 2012/13 and there was a Blu disc release too whatever that was. Anybody have any of the Japanese NBB editions?

sami likes this.
  11. Jeff Chandler

Jeff Chandler Forum Resident

Like many others, I like the first six the best, and while I recognize the weaknesses of all their other albums, I never skip ahead when listening to any of them. And when I revisit the Byrds, I listen to every single one of their albums. It took me a while to enjoy SWEETHEART as much as I do now. In fact, I bought the deluxe version of that one and always listen to both CDs. Even lesser Byrds is different enough from what other groups were doing, and so I appreciate them a lot. Had they somehow managed to stick together early enough, I think they might have inspired the others in the group to write many excellent songs. When you have strong egos, your group is going to explode sooner or later, and often it's much sooner...

12. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

I really don’t like the reunion album. They blew that one. Big time.

sami likes this.
  13. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Talk of the reissues (which someone mentioned are over 25 years old!) reminded me i have this old promo flyer (8 x 11)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think there's much uncertainty about the Never Before overdubs. As reported in the Byrds fanzine Farther Along, they are:
    1. Replaced drums by Stan Lynch on Lady Friend
    2. Acoustic guitar by Hillman on It Happens Each Day
    3. A brief vocal repair by Crosby on Triad
    4. Mandolin by Hillman onto Old John Robertson (unreleased)
    The only uncertainty is that Connie Hillman also said that Chris "repaired a bass part" but didn't specify which song. Seems most likely it would also be It Happens Each Day.

The box set overdubs are more uncertain, but we know for sure 12 string was overdubbed onto Lazy Day and Pretty Polly. I don't recall whether anything else has been established as overdubbed.

15. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

You know, now that i recall those songs when first hearing them they did sound fishy. The Ladyfriend drums obviously inauthentic. The acoustic guitar on It Happens Each Day absolutely sounded modern to me. And yes, Triad too sounded too modern. I wonder who made these decisions. I asked Croz on twitter a few years ago why they did new drums for Ladyfriend and he didn’t remember anything about it. Not surprising as he was probably in jail or close to.

Lost In The Flood, sami and takechan like this.
  16. takechan

takechan Forum Resident

When I first heard "Never Before," I remember feeling a little uncomfortable with the modern sound.
    I am not a fan of adding modern recordings to old recordings.
    However, there are successful examples such as "Good Times" by The Monkees.

Oatsy likes this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

The debut solo record is a brilliant piece of work, no question, but much of it has to do with the amazing players and the magic that was being made at Wally Heider's during that period. Crosby had the great fortune to land with some amazing surrounding casts early on, first with McGuinn and Clark and then obviously SN&Y, and he burned every bridge he ever crossed, some multiple times, to the point that no one wanted anything to do with him. Great rhythm guitar player and a peerless harmony vocalist, but you and I differ on his songwriting, as I would have taken some of the brilliant Clark material that ended up on the Gosdin Bros. and Dillard & Clark records over anything Crosby contributed to YTY and NBB. Although I have to admit that "What's Happening?" is a truly great song and arrangement.

jricc and Oatsy like this.
  18. sami

sami Mono still rules

Yeah, that's the only record I don't own and have no intention of ever getting. A waste of time and a couple of good Clark songs.

Oatsy likes this.
  19. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

The Byrds" "My Back Pages" 1967. Just a beautiful version of this Bob Dylan song

Garageflower, freddog and sami like this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He was fresh out of jail when the overdubs were done (he was released in August 1986 and the overdubs happened around December of that same year).

I'm sure Crosby was the one who decided to put new drums on Lady Friend. We all know what he thought of Mike's drumming in general. And it's the only instance in which they outright replaced something on a track... all the other overdubs were adding elements or fixing mistakes. There's no way they would have done that to one of Crosby's songs without his instigation, knowledge, and consent. My own pet theory is that Croz harbored hopes the song might get radio airplay if it had modern 80s drumming.

I think the It Happens Each Day guitar fits the song nicely. I don't have a problem with that, because it wasn't replacing anything already on the track, and it was done to a track that was unreleased and considered unfinished.

21. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Ditto

sami likes this.
  22. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident

Ditto

23. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I did get a Volume 2, but there seemed to be several of them, with varying track lists. You're right - it sounded like a various artists comp.

Oatsy likes this.
  24. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Aw, come on, guys - give it a chance. :love: I'd say 50% of it is classic Byrds.

carlwm likes this.
  25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yes, it's the box that troubles me, more than Never Before. We've probably had this conversation before, Czeskleba. It's down to the ears and knowledge of fans like us.

czeskleba likes this.