For the love of tuners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bjlefebvre, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Great little beast that GE SuperRadio. Came in handy in many a minor emergency. Happy it’s hangin around.

2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Mine is the GE III model based on pictures of the earlier versions. I've had it for somewhere around 30 years now and it works as well as the day I got it.

Khorn likes this.
  3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Great. I forgot about it. I dug up a few more that I’d also forgotten about. It’s scary.

4. LBC_Jet

LBC_Jet Forum Resident

His website is called Audio Horizons. Click on the "Component Plus" tab and you'll see his tuner mods listings. He does great work. My tuners have amazing sound.

Salectric likes this.
  5. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

This is my Tuner. Hooked up to a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 on the corner of the roof. Sounds great. System is on the main floor so the coax drops down thru the floor into the basement; runs across basement ceiling rafters to the nearest corner of the house; through a hole drilled in the foundation and up the outside wall to the corner of the roof.

Lots of FM stations in the Toronto area, but most are compressed. We have a good Jazz Station and a good Classical Station where the sound is broadcast with very good fidelity. Thinking of getting an MD Signal Sleuth

[​IMG]

mjcmt, Oddiofyl, BilboAlaska and 2 others like this.
  6. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

I have a lot of receivers and at least 3 tuners.

A vintage Dynaco
    A later model JVC - K10
    A Sangean HD - which I don't really like b/c it has a strong stereo FM threshold where the stations stay in mono unless the signal strength reaches a certain level. I can get a lot of stations where I live with an indoor antenna and perhaps an outdoor antenna may help this situation.

I have a fourth unit which is not really a tuner but I like it the best and use it like a tuner through the headphone out to amp.. The Sony XDR S3HD. Has great selectivity and sensitivity and sounds good as well.

All units pictured below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MikeJedi, Morbius and bjlefebvre like this.
  7. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

18 months or so ago I bought a Pioneer TX-7500 as a gift for my nephew. I kept it for a while (as it was too early for his birthday) and I fell in love with it. I've had a 90s era tuner from new, but this was something else. When I gave it away, I had to go find a suitable replacement:

[​IMG]

mjcmt, Boulder Bob, Vincent3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Thank you!

9. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

Yes, Denon TU-580 RD FM / AM tuner.
    I had Technics a long time ago, later Sansui, and then that Denon. Then I sold Denon after 13 years of listening. So bought the same again a few years ago. Great little tuner. I love listening to him!

10. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

That's quite similar to my father's Pioneer SX-737 receiver. It's actually my receiver now, but it's out of commission until I get the wooden cover for it and then get the receiver restored. If that proves to be more of an expense or hassle than it's worth, I might look for a tuner like this and a matching integrated amp.

Geoff likes this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Still have Dads Yamaha T70 tuner. ! I may actually hook it up to my integrated AS2200. I live in Las Vegas and the only thing I am
    thinking is we I do not believe have any non compressed stations left altho there might be one .. I am not sure. Possibly the jazz station KUNV but I don’t think it really broadcasts as much jazz as it used to!! My sure lives that tuner tho ! Sounded pretty good I remember …

12. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

YES! KMHD is great! I have a Sansui 2000A in the dining room that's always tuned to 89.1 FM. KMHD is also the only station I can listen to in the car. Commercial radio makes me want to drive into oncoming traffic.:blah:

bug2362, bjlefebvre and Fender Relic like this.
  13. Buisfan

Buisfan Forum Resident

14. Buisfan

Buisfan Forum Resident

I have a collection of low to high end tuners.
    Unfortunately signal processing makes it very uncomfortable to listen to 99% of the stations at home on the hifi.
    It ends up I only listen to the news, more comfortable for me because I almost never watch TV.
    I was a radio listener from mid fifties to early seventies, then, regarding music, it became boring with popmusic,very processed.
    My Luxman T-1 is very good and nice to look at, very good sound with discrete output stage, wish I had it then.

Boulder Bob likes this.
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The most sensitive, selective as well as the best sounding solid state tuner I have ever used is the Luxman T-117. But the very best sounding tuner I have ever heard is a McIntosh MR-67. However it is neither very sensitive nor very selective.

The Luxman is a close second sonically and is the only SS tuner I which I have ever enjoyed almost as much as my Mac.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  16. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

LOL! So true. And no annoying commercials!

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

18. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

19. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

There's a Yamaha T80 in the system here from the mid 80's used for BBC Radio 3 concerts.

bjlefebvre and MikeJedi like this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Unfortunately FM broadcast reception is dismal in sound quality now. Not the same as in the 1960s and 1970s. Other issue if you have an old transmitter without compression involved in your area, the program material may not be suitable. On the other hand internet FM radio since about 2010 is lossless, not compressed and with the 1000s of stations available it will sound very good with CD quality and the music you like.

21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

What in the world are you talking about? Internet radio stations are ALWAYS subject to lossy, digital compression (either MP3 or AAC), and these frequently are subject to the same analog dynamic range compression as their FM broadcasts as well. Worse, these frequently transmit over the internet with lowish bitrates.

I'm not saying that this necessarily sounds bad in all cases. Some internet radio stations sound pretty decent. But most can't hold a candle to a CD.

Or are you calling a lossless subscription streaming service such as Tidal or Amazon HD "internet radio"? Because these are not the same thing as internet radio.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    Frank Bisby likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am listening now to the public station which broadcasts classical music all day, Mon-Fri. I am using my Denon TU-604CI-using FM module. Decent sound quality and sensitivity. I do not have an outside antennae but have compromised with a whip antennae mounted in the attic space on a rafter with a cable snaked down through interior wall and connected to faceplate with a cable style connector to run my cable from the faceplate to the tuner. I am in a fringe area and this helps pull in quite a few stations. The Denons were ridiculously overpriced when they first came out but I managed to buy new in the sealed box with 2 FM modules( for two zones) but without HD or XM modules for 99$. I think they retailed for 1100$ originally. I’m assuming they didn’t sell and got wholesaled on pallets.

Benzion likes this.
  23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I did not state a radio subscription service. You are in the past, where have you been? Read: CD Quality Internet Radio - High Resolution Audio (hiresaudio.online)
    Also all internet radio now broadcasts in 24/128 and many in 24/392. A CD is 16/44. Read:
    Understanding Sample Rate, Bit Depth, and Bit Rate - Headphonesty

24. JonL

JonL Forum Resident

I have a TX-9500II that I purchased new and still use regularly. You will love it. Mine looks just like your photo, right down to the burnt-out Power On indicator lamp.

Benzion likes this.
  25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have 3 Mac tuners that I love. But I want to “buy back” a Rega Radio 3. I sold mine a year or so ago. Anyone have one they want to part with?