For those who are weary of constant Beatles/Paul McCartney threads and posts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Well, here's another potentially negative thread, but this one may have a useful purpose.

Do you dislike The Beatles/Paul McCartney because you genuinely dislike them or is it just because of the constant discussion about them here, and that almost every music thread is hijacked or attracts the trolls?

I want to hear from only those who are tired of it.

With that question posed, I doubt much of anything can be done about it except for the forum to either tolerate it or report it.

saborlord123 and willwin like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I'll start. While I am a fan of both, I am tired of the constant hijacking and Beatles trolling that happens in almost all music threads. Doesn't matter what it is, someone always puts The Beatles into it. It was amusing for a while, but it gotten old.

I understand some people use The Beatles or Paul McCartney as examples almost everyone can relate to, but certainly we all have wider tastes in music, right? We don't all live in a Beatles bubble.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Ohmyga, Beatles!

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

There's a lot of irony in this thread...

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

It's not just here - every rock forum I've been to has an obsession with the Beatles and Zeppelin. It went past the point of cliche years ago. You have to just accept it now.

6. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

This reminds me to start a topic-
    Make a Beatles Best Of album without including any songs released on 45 or EP!

7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'm only confused

Like, you could discuss so many other things about different people that aren't the last possible questions you could come up with about a band who's been covered so heavily to start with. Or sometimes, it's just appreciation threads in a short period of time which get traction no matter when the last one was made.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So, wait, if someone mentions The Beatles in a thread that the topic doesn't pertain to them I'm supposed to report it? :rolleyes:

Why not just move on and find something that does interest you in the thread? I'm not even much of a Beatles fan, but this griping about this is ridiculous. It is what it is here. Deal with it (ignore it) or find somewhere else to hang your hat.

9. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I'm so Tired...I haven't slept a wink...

seriously I take your point - there is always plenty of scope to discuss The Fab Four and examine their history from every angle etc...

but indeed some like to 'Troll' and upset Beatles fans young or older...

while also if you are a fan of another artist and want to discuss their history and music on a thread it can get VERY tiring indeed when some almost 'obligatory' Beatle freak comes chiming in trying to make whichever artist look second best etc to their beloved Beatles

such over praise and 'worship' not only can get on people's nerves it can actually do The Beatles NO favors either as some are bound to get fed up reading 'The Beatles did this, that, whatever' over and over ad nausium...

the band themselves disliked over praise or bland fan adoration - hence George's song 'Think For Yourself' and later John's; 'I DON'T believe in...BEATLES' ! - as John attempted to distance himself from that part of his past and start over afresh in a new musical direction...

I have to laugh when I see threads appearing like;

'what Beatles songs were recorded on a monday...?'
    or
    what was John Lennon's fav color...?'

I do suspect some 'Trolls' are forever at work re The Beatles who are such a famous target but it does them no favors really

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So...if you like The Beatles, then, does posting in this thread automatically make you a "troll"...? o_O Yer trying to warp the fabric of reality, aincha Grant...

We should do a thread discussing, is McCartney so awesome, that he could come out against The Beatles and by himself create entropy...

mark winstanley and Twelvepitch like this.
  11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

*Bored of Beatles and/or Paul McCartney threads*

*Makes a Beatles and/or Paul McCartney thread*

I've said it before, but if you don't like them, don't go on them.

12. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I’ve never felt more motivated to bring the Beatles into every discussion than this very moment.

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I'm amused by it because it shows how insecure they really are. They know sooner or later The Beatles will be forgotten unlike KISS or Heino.

joy stinson and NaturalD like this.
  14. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Big Deal. It's become sort of a running gag. Sort of like Jimmy Kimmel always dissing Matt Damon at the end of all his shows. Chuckle or brush it off.

Twelvepitch and GodShifter like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Beatles do relate to a lot of music, so they can naturally find their way into a lot of threads.

At the moment I'm playing an Arthur Alexander CD. I'd have never heard of him without The Beatles and The Stones.

I like a good Beatles thread, but some are ridiculously trivial.

16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

For those who are weary of constant Beatles/Paul McCartney threads and posts...

Here’s another one.

17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The Beatles have songs for any situation. Since the OP is feeling “weary,” I would suggest starting with the following songs:

I’m Only Sleeping
    I’m So Tired.

:shh:

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of The Beatles but, yes, I am weary of them being brought into seemingly almost every non-Beatles thread.

Say It Right likes this.
  19. No, I just don't rate them anywhere near as highly as seemingly most people here do.

As for Macca I struggle to understand why anyone listens to him. He spent most of the 70s making lame albums full of radio jingles with a second rate band before embarking on an MOR career which was only infrequently interrupted by the occasional burst of creativity that resulted in songs which were not embarrassing for a former Beatle member.

bherbert and TS582 like this.
  20. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I like the Beatles, and objectively they may be the best band if I had to take everything that makes a "best band" into account. But, I don't, and they're not my favourite band, subjectively.

It makes sense that the Beatles would be the most beloved band on what is essentially a classic rock forum, but I don't get the Paul McCartney worship. I mean, he wasn't the coolest Beatle (John or George was), and he may have been the most musically talented, but he didn't have the "mojo" factor of John Lennon.

And let's be honest, has he really done anything great since the 1970s?

I dunno, the McCartney and even Beatles worship can be a little weird here ... I mean I laugh every time I see that thread title "Who did the ahhhhs in A Day In The Life?". :laugh:

But, it doesn't hurt anyone, and obviously someone cares, or that thread wouldn't always be on the front page.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I adjusted my browsing habits when I realized that there was no end in sight to discussions about McCartney's favorite type of spatula or threads to compile a list of albums with a vegetable on the cover.

joy stinson likes this.
  22. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The one aspect that irritates me is putting anything beatles related in threads that clearly not about them or songs associated with them. To me that's very close to threadcrapping otherwise I just scroll past them for the most part.

What I would say to younger members is the answer to something on your mind about the beatles may well be found in an older thread and to us older ones is remember we were new here once plus older threads we discussed things in may well be closed to comments.

23. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast

Please, don't be negative about anybody. Just making a suggestion. This thread could get hateful soon. Not moderating, but, just making a suggestion.
    Ryan

saborlord123 and lightbulb like this.
  24. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Just shows to go ya: Lewisohn is right when he refers to the Beatles as a "genuine ultimate." They ain't goin' nowhere anytime soon.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If only Kimmel constantly dissed Paul McCartney, this would be a perfect fit! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.