For Yes Fans - what happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quarl23, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

And then they made their two best albums back to back ;)

quarl23, no.nine and Rufus rag like this.
  2. Leave It is the kind of song that pretty much demands a well-rehearsed choir. They were never going to pull of a convincing version with only three singers. To me, it's more of a studio creation albeit a good one. That would have been a fun song for Todmobile to tackle when Jon Anderson joined them along with full orchestra and choir.

anduandi, seed_drill and GoodKitty like this.
  3. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

Plus his (white's) drums always sounded like large cardboard boxes.

4. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I don't agree. I think Tormato is fantastic.

5. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Yep. While Bruford’s sound and playing have a very unique signature - He does not sound like anybody else, you know it’s him within a few bars.

6. erikdavid5000

Yeah, because they had him mixed up so loud and at the front. Most overrated drummer ever.

Why is this still an Alan bash-fest?

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I think there is an element when it's not a matter of the band not pushing on, instead it's the fans that are the issue.

90125 is a fantastic album top to bottom. That said, it's a long way from The Yes Album. The band developed and adapted through personnel changes, and fashions. A fan might have hoped 90125 were Close to the Edge, but I've got to tell you - another Close to the Edge wouldn't have sold during the era 90125 was released.

Looking back from the vantage point of the future, we often forget the context in which things are done. Yes changed, they had to. It wasn't only the band members that demanded such changes, it was the times. Fragile would have sounded pretty dam strange (and not in a good way) mid-80's as a new release, imo.

Of course, hardcore fans might well have enjoyed a new Fragile at that time, I'm not talking absolutes here. However, I don't think the band could afford to stand still.

In short - nothing went wrong with Yes. They have been around since the late 60's. You can't achieve that by standing still and not taking risks, by not evolving, changing, and taking into account current fashions. If they hadn't of recorded 90125, they may well have gone away completely.

Did I mention 90125 is a great album?

ARK, kouzie, ScaryMercedes and 4 others like this.
  8. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

So true. Very few artists remain great through a long career. Leonard Cohen is one of the few who did.

ytserush and trickness like this.
  9. erikdavid5000

Heavily edited and not complete takes? You mean like Close To The Edge?

10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

You did, and I agree! Not many Yes albums post-Relayer are great from start to finish, but 90125 is one of the few.

GoodKitty and Vaughan like this.
  11. trickness

Robert Fripp would disagree.

That said Drama is one of my fave albums ever.

tedhead likes this.
  12. erikdavid5000

And Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Trevor Rabin, Trevor Horne, and John Lennon (and many more) would disagree with you about Alan White.

GoodKitty and Rufus rag like this.
  13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

<--loves both Bruford and White. :shtiphat:

peskypesky, ytserush, Mark J and 4 others like this.
  14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Absolutely and promoted it with their best ever tour

peskypesky and erikdavid5000 like this.
  15. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Thing is, Bruford with Yes was a far, far cry from the drummer he'd become as bandmates with Fripp and Muir. Even he admits that.

ytserush likes this.
  16. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Yes had an amazing run. Most people say things hit the skids with Tormato, but I think everything from the debut through Big Generator is excellent. I think it went downhill with the Yes East/West offshoots.

kouzie and GoodKitty like this.
  17. trickness

And yet, The Yes Album, Fragile and Close To The Edge, collectively the three best albums they ever did, all featured this far cry drummer's playing.

tedhead, anduandi and fretbuzzed like this.
  18. erikdavid5000

Best and most distinct drumming Bruford has ever done is on Fragile. He’s never topped it in my book. Those drum parts are godlike.

19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Nah, it ended after the masterpiece TALK

patel kismet likes this.
  20. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I'd agree with that sentiment. I came into Yes with a more new wave/punk ear, and so "Drama" and "90125" (heck, even "Big Generator") were favorites of mine for a while. I didn't know how to listen to "Close to the Edge" for a while after.

With the arguable exceptions of "Tormato" and "Open Your Eyes", Yes stayed innovative and engaging until their hiatus, even though their objectives and aesthetics changed.

Then they lost Jon and creating new material became secondary to revisiting the past.

erikdavid5000 and GoodKitty like this.
  21. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

trumpet sounds likes this.
  22. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I would never bash Alan White (who is an outstanding drummer) and I think your comment about Bruford is especially amusing considering all the great musicians Bruford has shared company with. Heck, Bruford even performed on the Genesis A Trick of the Tail tour as Collins needed a backup drummer (this was obviously before Chester Thompson took this particular slot). He’s a chameleon and can adapt to whatever musical situation he’s in.

tedhead, ARK and anduandi like this.
  23. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

I say their three best albums are "Tales From Topographic Oceans", "Going For The One" and "Relayer".

But I certainly enjoy the albums you listed too.

24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’ve always felt Going for the One was slightly unappreciated. I think it’s one of their finest albums. Turn of the Century, Wondrous Stories, and Awaken are worth the price admission.

25. trickness

To each his own I guess - TFTO to my ears is a bloated meandering mess of forgettable ideas, GFTO is good but artistically nowhere near par to TYA, Fragile or CTTE, and on Relayer they’re trying way too hard - overplaying, and the “songs” aren’t there. That said, I certainly enjoy listening to those records, they have their moments.

Jeff W. Richman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.