For Yes Fans - what happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quarl23, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I strongly disagree with your comments regarding Relayer. The Gates of Delirium is, IMHO, better than anything off The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge (as much as I love these albums), but you’re free to disagree with as well. ;)

Your opinion of Tales from Topographic Oceans is one I’ve read a thousand times. I find a marvelous album from start to finish.

2. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

True. Just imagine how good they’d be if they had the fully realized Bruford instead of the adolescent version.

ARK and erikdavid5000 like this.
  3. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Adult Bruford should have re-done his parts on those albums in 1989 with his horrid electronic drums

4. erikdavid5000

Yes, but he’s insanely overrated by Yes fans when it comes to Yes, lol. Fantastic drummer and I love him, but it gets ridiculous.

patel kismet likes this.
  5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Time to add another one to the ignore list.

tedhead, peskypesky and erikdavid5000 like this.
  6. erikdavid5000

OMG! Yes please!!!!

7. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

agreed

Say It Right likes this.
  8. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Are you a fan of time and a word?
    The yes album, fragile and close to the edge are masterpieces.

Tales and relayer are solid prog canon . The rest are just average to relatively good imo...they turned into a normal rock band which is neither good or bad just sign of the times.

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

My opinion again but

Drama is probably my go to Yes album, that is the only prog/new wave record that really works and it's so damn good every time.

Other than that, I think The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge are essential. I like pretty much everything until 90125 however this discography is patchy. Tales has some amazing pieces but my god, side 2 and 3 are very iffy, the next album is actually very good for the most part, the one after is again, very good, and Tormato... the thing is I don't mind it but it's a bit questionable.

10. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I like Alan White. I think he was fantastic on Tales, Relayer and Drama.
    But I don't think he (or anyone else) comes close to Tull's Barlow. So creative!!

11. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Thought that the Trevor Rabin era of YES was phenomenal and one of the very rare examples of a once great band that was near death being resurrected by bringing in a new guy..

The UNION tour was historic but such incredible momentum could not be sustained..

Fast forward a few years later and greed got in the way, one of the most iconic front men in the history of rock was replaced with a tribute singer, and now the brand has been reduced to little more than “The Steve Howe Band sometimes featuring Alan White with The Buggle!!

Adrian Adkins and erikdavid5000 like this.
  12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

90125 was genuinely a good album, but I don't think said lineup managed anything of significance later on and I actually enjoyed Talk at one point.

Union was just at least the record a poor move.

The current band, I'm confused about honestly. I sort of thought no Chris Squire, no Yes.

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  13. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Once again, a "Yes" thread throws up a strange anomaly...it's as if the bands debut album never existed,and that,in many folks opinion is the strongest of the lot!

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  14. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I much as I prefer BBs drumming, White hit it out of the park on Relayer!

15. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Agreed.

16. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Relayer, Topographic, GFTO and Tormato! His drumming is fantastic on all of those.

I may prefer Bruford overall, but White was a monster.

It would be so cool to hear what those Yes albums would have come out like with Bruford on drums.

17. erikdavid5000

But those albums would never have come out with Bruford on them. He never would have participated or stood for their creation. Those albums and their processes were the antithesis of what he stood for by that point. By his own admission, he was asleep on the studio couch for much of Close To The Edge while Chris and Eddie Offord tirelessly worked to knit the whole thing together. No. There is no Bill Bruford on those albums. Not in reality or in any alternate universe .... I think the closest we can get to what Bill might have sounded like on that stuff is on Fish Out Of Water where he’s playing very straight forward and completely unmotivated or adventitious. He was much better suited to great effect in King Crimson at that point.

misteranderson likes this.
  18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Time and A Word? Not really a fan, though I certainly don't hate it. In fact in my original comment I even forgot of its existence. But for me personally, Yes begins with The Yes Album. Not really a fan of Topographic Oceans or Relayer either, they do little for me.

But Yes is a weird band for me. Outside of a few outliers, I never got into or even purchased their studio albums. I had Yessongs and that was good enough for me, preferring the live versions to what I considered to be fairly tame studio tracks.

And though I've heard them dozens of times, I have never actually owned The Yes Album, Fragile, or Close To The Edge. Not even in my LP days. Once upon a time I owned Tormato and Drama, but never felt the need to get them on CD. Even today I only own Yessongs and 90125, and that's it.

You gotta understand I'm not like you guys. I don't own hundreds or thousands of albums. Never have. I think I currently have just over 200. I seldom have disposable income to spend on music so I get by with what I got. And truth be told I've had to sell a ton of my collection in the past just to survive. But that's a long, sordid, and tragic tale and I don't even know what got me talking about that nonsense. :p

19. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Not with me! "Close To The Edge" is all what classic Yes is about, delivered in the best possible way. One may prefer "Tales...", but you also can attribute more bad things to it - but what bad things could you say about "Close To The Edge"?
    Exactly, none (except maybe that it could be a bit longer/contain more songs)!:D

Crimson jon and trickness like this.
  20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

A few clunkers here and there is acceptable for anyone. Being relentlessly ignorant and obnoxious just steals energy.

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's inspiring to see this debate bringing out the best in everyone. Yes fans are nearly as rancorous as the band they love.

erikdavid5000 and Anno like this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked everything up to and including the Trevor Rabin stuff to Big Generator. After that, I totally lost the plot of the band. In fact, I've never even heard any of the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe stuff (unless it was played as a demo when I worked in the record store which was about the time it was released).

I've never seen the band live so I cannot comment on that aspect of them at all. I tend to think the band still touring with the make shift line up they have now is kind of weak, but if they still want to play and if people and are still willing to pay to see them, then more power to them. I did think the thing they've got going with John Lodge, Carl Palmer, Asia, and them seemed weird. You've got, essentially, the entire band of Asia touring (sans the departed John Wetton) and they don't play together outside of a "special appearance by Steve Howe"? Why not have the three remaining guys play at least a few songs together? And Ron Thal (ex- G'n'R) is playing guitar and singing? What a mess! Oh, well, whatever. People can like what they like.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In what interview has he said this? If he hasn't, then how do you know? It seems you hold him to some higher plain that other members in terms of musical integrity. HE was the guy playing drums on that train wreck with Steve Howe playing and singing (and I use that last term loosely) "Roundabout" on the Regis & Kathy Lee Show years ago. That was TERRIBLE! (and so legendary I don't even need to post it here).

24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

To the bolded text, not for this listener!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    ARK, Classicrock and frimleygreener like this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I really lost any idea about Yes post the 1980s. It seems to me the band kept changing and lost the plot. Now there are two versions and the official version is less Yes than the other which has their most prominent keyboard player, Iconic lead singer and founding member plus the guy who rejuvenated their sound in the 80s. The 'official' band contains no original or founding members since the death of Chris Squire. I agree that the debut album and Time And A Word are worthy of inclusion in their classic run of albums.

The Bishop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.