For Yes Fans - what happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quarl23, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw them live, and I didn't feel that way. Unlike parts of the Union tour, Rabin was more in check the whole way (for the Howe songs), and it worked better to my ears. Most importantly, they played at or very close to the original tempos, something the Howe version of the band does not do very well. That was a key difference.

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I just read an interview with Nick Barratt (Pendragon) who said Breathless is his favourite Camel album. Deserves another listen based on that recommendation

3. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Its a play on a song titles post tales...

ARK likes this.
  4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

In my opinion every album from the debut up to first Keys to Ascension was fine (with the exception of the horrible Union). After that things got started to get weird. There has been some very strong material after that (Mind Drive, That That Is, Fly From Here, Homeworld, Open Your Eyes, Can You Imagine) but not a single cohesive album.

Pete Puma likes this.
  5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I get off the bandwagon when Jon left, when he came back, and when he left again :nyah:

I love Tormato. Still sounds like a Yes album to me. CTTE may be their pinnacle but I listen to Tales and Relayer much more. Those two get me where I live.

6. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Not for me.

Drama’s all about Machine Messiah, which is a monster. The rest of it doesn’t really match up.

I like Trevor Horn, but he was put in an impossible situation...especially live.

7. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I really love Breathless: a perfect summer album.

8. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

While I feel The Yes Album - Going For The One was their peak period, there is much that I enjoy post-GFTO. I make special mention of Keystudio, the studio tracks from the Keys To Ascension sessions, a mid-90's return to form which I highly recommend. Oh yeah, and The Ladder.

9. I dont have an issue with any YES album. Some i love and some i like. They are a band that i have seen more than any other and i am saddened that thet fell out with each other but hey, they have been going for many years and always put a smile on my face.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Actually it sounds exactly like how it really is.

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Zappa.

12. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

i think the good question is not about their futur,but about the publishing of older full concerts never published before in their totality as the progeny box ;)

Rufus rag likes this.
  13. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

What happened to Yes after Tormato looks like what happened to prog in general : ELP (Love beach 1978), Genesis (Abacab 1981), King Crimson (Discipline 1981), Asia (1982). Why ? Perhaps MTV or companies's pressure to make money with pop songs ...

ARK and Blimpboy like this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Yes is a brand name and the investors want a hefty return. Read Bruford's autobiography. He talks about the fiasco of the Union album. It started out as sessions for a second ABWH album, but the greedy managers and record execs took over and decided to change it to a bloated Yes project with many of the past and present members involved yet the business people were making musical decisions based on their idea of a hit record. Of course this way of making music stinks, so there you have it. Corporate schlock at its best.

15. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The whole record is fantastic.

It's full of some of Squire's all time greatest bass lines, one of the only symphonic prog/new wave hybrid records I know of that actually works, and I think it has to do with the people - Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes were on the bleeding edge, stuff like White Car is basically their song however I don't really care, it's a great little piece. And the vocal harmonies are just fantastic... it's seriously top 3 for me, can't pass up Drama.

16. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Hollow Horse likes this.
  17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Music changed. disco in 76. Then punk. Then 80's new wave.
    classic rock died.

Purple likes this.
  18. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Agree.....I would choose Going For The One over each, but I like Olias and Fish Out of Water more so than any release from Tormato (which I do like as well) on.

19. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

That's it. No idea how I knew. Probably a question that came up on Eggheads or something.

20. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

90125 is a great album, and the show I saw on that tour was brilliant.

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That wasn't quite what happened with Union. The main drivers on that album were Jonathan Elias and Jon Anderson, so the outcome of that album is ultimately down to them. The record label and management would have been more than glad to have a Yes album with the actual members playing on it, but at the end of the day they needed to release something.

altaeria likes this.
  22. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I agree with all that. I have a UK pressing of Tormato that is incredible sounding.
    I loved Drama when it was released, and 90125 is a triumph, and a remarkable accomplishment, as you say.

stax o' wax likes this.
  23. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I think Lift Me Up has one of the most prog metal riffs in that intro ever. You'd mistake it for Petrucci with that sound...

ARK, Purple, Blimpboy and 2 others like this.
  24. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident

Not a huge Yes fan but I feel both The Yes Album and Going For The One are essential.
    Parallels is close to a punk Yes song there is not that I look to Yes to scratch my punk itch. It is a bit of fresh air for Yes imho. I love that song and the rest of Going For The One.

DME1061 likes this.
  25. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

What I relayed was Bruford's take on it from his autobiography.

Comet01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.