Forced subtitles on streaming services. Why?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JAuz, Oct 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed that when watching non-English content, some of the streaming services are either forcing their subtitles to be on or they are burned-in.

For example, both Amazon Video and HBO Max seem to be doing this. On Amazon, it looks like you have the option to turn off English subtitles, but nothing happens. And if you explicitly turn them on (instead of the standard "auto" option), you all of a sudden have two sets of subtitles onscreen!

Unless the source video has burned-in subtitles or there are rights issues requiring English subtitles to be shown, I don't understand why this is. DVDs have been capable of turning on and off subtitles for over 20 years, so why is this coming up now? It's distracting and lessens the enjoyment of the program.

Netflix doesn't have this problem. I'm not sure about the other major services. Or maybe I just haven't figure out how to turn them off.

2. JAuz

Or if somebody could explain how to turn off subtitles on, say "Ponyo" on HBO Max, that would work too.

3. JAuz

OK, last bump. @Vidiot , any ideas about why subtitles are forced on for foreign movies on some of these streaming services?

4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Easy answer is that is what has been provided to the content distributors. These streaming platforms can only send out what they are provided. They cannot contractually provide anything different than what they are given. It would be up to the owners to provide anything else and that equals more money

Damien DiAngelo and bmasters9 like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Honestly not sure. I would bet this is due to Hanlon's Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." They're just stupid and don't have a subtitled master that can have the subtitles turned on and off.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sticking with physical media.

JAuz likes this.
  7. JAuz

Yes, I suppose that's probably the answer. It's the path of least resistance and if people aren't really complaining about it, why bother going to the trouble and expense to fix it.

If the subtitles were forced on for English content though, you'd be sure they'd be quick to change it.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I notice different services have different controls for subtitles. Some will work with the "cc" button on your remote; another will work if you find a control on the page of the program; another works with a control on the search screen. And of course my teevee and my dvr use different methods too. There's no consistency.

9. JAuz

I've noticed that inconsistency too, and I keep hoping that's the case. I'd be very happy if it's simply me who hasn't figured out how to turn them on and off.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Amazon Video has had lots of subtitle problems with tv series. Earlier this year Treadstone wouldn’t show English subtitles for the Korean, German, and Russian dialogue (30% of the overall dialogue). There’s been other Amazon series that would have subtitles displayed in a foreign language even you chose English.

The Starz network has weird subtitle stuff as well. I’ve subscribed to Starz through a few different platforms (Amazon Video, AppleTV, Crave) and Starz only has subtitles available when you watch it through Crave but not the other two.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Some old dvds have subtitles imbedded on screen,while watching film .. though with some TVs / blu ray players you can down the text so as the dialogue/ words aren’t visible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.